Ubuntu or centos for Counter strike server?

Hi am currently thinking which linux OS is better for a counter strike server.

It probably doesn't make a whole lot of a difference; I always recommend using whichever one you're more comfortable with.
    Web based control panel for managing game servers (or any program). Affordable, no monthly fees. Works with Win/Linux/BSDs. www.brainless.us

Ubuntu if you'd like the linux-rt kernel (for running higher server side FPS) - simply run apt-get install linux-rt and reboot!
    London UK Dedicated Servers since 2008
    www.dedishack.com sales@dedishack.com

I'd suggest CentOS.

In case you didn't know, your website has been disabled (www.gamehaxerz.com)
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

I cannot speak for Ubuntu but I have been Using CentOS 5.X for a year and a half now and its been great for any HL1 or HL2 game
    Licensewolf - Coming Soon!

I've used both Debian and CentOS for gameservers and both work fine. Like others have said, pick the one your most comfortable with. (Side note: I personally would use Debian over Ubuntu)

If your interested in kernel optimizations for gameservers, checkout:
    http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.php...l_Optimization

it depends
    If I got that properly that you want to run a game server first you should find which game server you want to install
    ig you are planed to install gamecp the Centos is the best choice
    or if you are planed to use TCADMIn that I prefer to use it as it is runngi by windows you should install a windows server

Quote Originally Posted by JonBiloh View Post
    I'd suggest CentOS.

In case you didn't know, your website has been disabled (www.gamehaxerz.com)
    Yes i know my website has been disabled am currently switching to another hosting as we speak

What about running a counter strike ps with out any gaming cpanel just webadmin.

I would use definitely CentOS. Either OS would probably work just fine, though. I personally think of Ubuntu as a desktop OS, but that does not mean Ubuntu would not be able to do it.

Additionally, you could set up CSS without any web admin. You could set it all up through SSH by hand. A lot of CSS servers are set up that way.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

There is no "better" OS but I run a few game servers for my forum members on Fedora Core 8. Works very well.

I've used centos with most other things and gave Fedora a try a few years ago and still sticking to it. It just comes down to what you make of it. At the end you can have the same outcome.

Debian works very well here for TF2 srcds without any kernel reconfiguring nonsense ("2000fps" is a waste.)

I personally would find CentOS much easier to configure and setup.

Ubuntu is more favoured for a Desktop OS, I would only think people use Ubuntu for servers is if they already use it for their Desktop OS so it's pretty much similar.

Centos 32bit

I've only ever used Centos 5.3 and it done the job professionally, you could also use Windows 2003 and run SRCDS and Windows Media Player or an FPS Booster

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Andrew View Post
    I personally would find CentOS much easier to configure and setup.

Ubuntu is more favoured for a Desktop OS, I would only think people use Ubuntu for servers is if they already use it for their Desktop OS so it's pretty much similar.
    I personally find Ubuntu easier to configure and setup. It also more tutorials and has much better community. I use it on all my servers and couldn't be any happier.

Like stated above, neither of them are better. But, Ubuntu Server Edition comes with a kernel compiled at 1000hz, which will allow you to reach the 1000FPS. Otherwise you need to compile your own kernel...

Locations? specs?

Back in the day I used to use Ubuntu Server distro's. One of the main selling points to me was the way it could run 1000FPS servers out of the box.

I did find however, that it wasn't a completely stable 1000FPS - it would often be constantly changing say between 500-1000FPS.

Friends of mine swear by building a custom kernel on Fedora based systems for the best result - I however have had no experience in doing so.

Sorry for the potential bump, but no real answer was submitted.

* =)

Ubuntu all the way man! Linux rocks!

The "best" Linux for you is the one you feel you know inside and out..

All comes down to configuration in the end. I know techs from 2 Gamehostingcompanies and both are using Debian with stable 980-1000 fps cs servers, but another friend uses FreeBSD for all servers (100+) on their community with the same result..