Is there FREE domain names

Are there such things as Free domain names? if so where?!

Hmmm, I don't think there's such 100% free domain names

A domain costs money to register.. end of story.

If you find somewhere giving you a free domain for nothing in return then expect to be ripped off in the near future.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

There SHOULD be such thing as a free lunch because a meal is a necessity; however, domain name is NOT.

May I ask if anybody is giving away a brand new 2003 Porsche Boxster for free? My 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix is getting a bit outdated now ...
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Take a look @ http://www.dot.tk/. They are free but they do have a popup if you go to yourdomain.tk. Obviously it's nowhere near as good as a real domain as it's basically a redirection service e.g you have no control over nameservers.
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

I treat a domain name as a piece of one's identity and a highly valued title deed in cyberspace. And I am more than proud and honored to pay for mine.

Besides, domain names has gone down from $100/2 years to as low as under $8/year now, I do not see how it cannot be considered affordable. That's just under 2cents a day to keep your claim to a prime property on the web.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

>RFhost: Take a look @ http://www.dot.tk/. They are free but they do have a popup if you go to yourdomain.tk.

To be fair, you may actually turn OFF the pop-up at DotTK. Take a look at my prufrock.tk, for example. One of their drawbacks is that their DNS is not very reliable.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Originally posted by nameslave
    >RFhost: Take a look @ http://www.dot.tk/. They are free but they do have a popup if you go to yourdomain.tk.

To be fair, you may actually turn OFF the pop-up at DotTK. Take a look at my prufrock.tk, for example. One of their drawbacks is that their DNS is not very reliable.
    But the only way to turn it OFF is to pay for it thus effectively making it a 'paid' domain.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

NO! That's the tricky part, You may actually turn OFF the pop-up for FREE. Just login to "my DotTK" and dig a bit deeper. I didn't pay for my prufrock.tk.

Cool, I will check it out. The Dot.tk web site is extremely slow right now.

>eddy2099: The Dot.tk web site is extremely slow right now.

Yes, that's their major problem. And one of their VPs even told me that .tk is actually totally banned and inaccessible to surfers in China!

I also noticed that when I was trying them out. As namechange said they seem to have very slow/unreliable DNS.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Cool, I will check it out. The Dot.tk web site is extremely slow right now.
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

Hmm, Well, I guess probably because of its free nature, they probably get a fair share of abuse and people taking advantage of their generosity to host objectable sites. No cost => No Liability.

It same with all those free web host, there was a point of time when I found warez sites hosted on free web hosts when checking my logs.

i once saw a free .JP site, but that was about 1.5 years ago

I remember using Namedemo.com and Namezero.com a while back, but with technology getting better and better, Namedemo.com insist on asking for a credit card number to make sure your over 18... The put a banner on your site at the bottom but ofcourse you can pay your money and get it removed, so you should just use a Domain Registration company, or find a Web Hosting business that will provide you with a free domain name for signing up to their services....

The only problem there is when you go to another company, they own the domain name and well yeah, you get the point. Check out Namedeom.com for a personal domain, not for business though

That being said, looks like both sites have been bought out.... I'll keep an eye out....

Sorry bout that
    Luke

The .ca domains used to be free 'til 2-3 years ago. You however had to be a Canadian registered company or a Canadian registered non-profit organization, so you couldn't register im-cool.ca

Now it's more expensive than .com, .net and .org domains! blah.

Martin

>Slipstream: The .ca domains used to be free 'til 2-3 years ago. You however had to be a Canadian registered company or a Canadian registered non-profit organization, so you couldn't register im-cool.ca ... Now it's more expensive than .com, .net and .org domains! blah.

Actually, before the opening up of dot-ca domain names, only FEDERALLY incorporated organizations were allowed to register the second-level domain of xxx.ca; PROVINCIALLY incorporated ones were allow to register xxx.on.ca or xxx.bc.ca depending on your locations; and personal or unincorporated companies have to stay with xxx.toronto.on.ca!! This geographical hierarchy was finally abondoned in November 2002. Of course, the other side of this coin is that it's now NOT free. But hey, it's still $19.95 Canadian (i.e. about US$13); much less expensive than when Network Solutions ruled the world. LOL!