Install Linux Remotely???

Is it possible to install Linux remotely? I have a Win2K3 machine at a colo facility and I would like to install Linux instead of Win2K3 on the machine. Is it possible to do this? If so how? I have Timbuktu installed which is like VNC for remotely accessing the server.

If anyone has any ideas or knows how to do it I would love to hear from you. I possibly could pay you to install it for me. I have RH9 but would consider Centos....

Thanks,
    Phil

I think you would need to look for a distro that supported a completely unattended installation, plus supported launching the install from a already running host OS.

You would need at the minimum kvm/ip access I believe.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Heres something crazy that might actually work.

Install Partition Magic on the host windows machine. Then re-partition the hard drive so you have enough free space for a Linux partition.

Install VMWare on the target machine and make a new Linux virtual machine. Set the linux virtual machine to use a physical partition instead of a virtual disk, set that partition to the new empty partition on your hard disk.

Restart the virtual linux machine and make sure it boots, configure it so that it will be able to 'come up' normally when booted as the host OS. Make sure you include support for both your real disk controller and the vmware virtual disk controller.

Then close VMWare and use a boot manager like BootMagic to finalize the dual-boot installation, with Linux set as the default OS.

Then pray a little and reboot your machine.

That's actually crazy enough to work classics Cheers for the good idea!
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Crazy!

But I run VMWARE at home and it's a great experiance.
    knowledge is Power , Spread it.
    www.e-tutankhamun.com
    ahmed@e-tutankhamun.com
    AIM:AhmedFouad0 , yahooID:xor2004

There was a guide to that effect on the ev1 forums awhile back. You CAN do it but be prepared with the fact you may screw up your machine if you screw up.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Installing your OS remotely won't work, because you've actually got to control the OS and reboot it into the setup at least once.
    UPGRADING your OS remotely will indeed work, that's done easily enough, and usually (if you know what you're doing), it's pretty painless
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Ask the DC to install the OS for you and just pay them, if they ask
    ESC :wq!

Firestarter - This is what I wound up doing. My colo provider did the instal of Fedora Core3 for me for a minimal charge.

Thanks all,
    Phil

Originally posted by linux-tech
    Installing your OS remotely won't work, because you've actually got to control the OS and reboot it into the setup at least once.
    UPGRADING your OS remotely will indeed work, that's done easily enough, and usually (if you know what you're doing), it's pretty painless
    Of course, it does work - for diffeent systems with different degree of success.
    see,
    KickStart - RedHat
    ALICE - SuSe
    Three for Debian - FAI, Progeny, Replicator

UNIX system as well,
    NIM (my favored) - IBM AIX
    JumpStart - Solaris

In fact now there is a way to run few operating systems on the same machine at the same time.

Peter Kinev.
    Open Solution, Inc
    http://opensolution-us.com

what do you think about using NOC monkey ?
    Signature coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech

dont forget about http://www.daemonology.net/depenguinator/

:-)
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I never used it. Looks like it extends the original concept of BOOTP / TFTP by extension of firmware with an PXE server information. Thus, if you want to try it,

1. you have to have a dedicated PXE server on network (I am not sure how it will work with subnets)
    2. your clients (computers you want to recover someday) should have an PXE enabled firmware - could be a new NIC (adapter) card PXE enabled.

So, imho it should do the trick.

Peter.
    Open Solution, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    I would wait with that.
    Open Solution, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by pnorilsk
    I would wait with that.
    hey it works
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    hey it works
    Obviously, it should. But, on the surface it has tons of shortcomings. So, if you know what you are doing frankly you need nothing. Everything is done already. All Linux/Unix systems have bootp, tftp and hopefully EPROM/BIOS. That's all you need.

Peter.
    Open Solution, Inc