Being a newbie at this I was wondering what type of learning curve is involved with running a Reseller Co.? I dont know anything about server admin duties or commands. I am very computer oriented and was wondering if there was any online documentation or books anyone could recommend to help me break the barrier? Something like a TELNET , SSH or Server Admin how-to? Thanks in advance for helping!!

Brian

Well, the advantage of being a reseller is that, you dun need to know any of this. The company you are reselling for manages the server for you. All you do is provide support to your cleints, which would be basic.

Though it would be a good idea to learn SSH and Telnet and ServerAdmin and stuff, get yourself Red Hat Linux Unleashed. I personally like this book.
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Originally posted by kunal
    Well, the advantage of being a reseller is that, you dun need to know any of this.
    What do you mean he doesn't have to know it?

How will he provide support for his customers *if* he doesn't know anything?!

Brian,

check out http://resellerinfo.com/ and http://recellar.com

He does not need to know server administartion, coz he wouldnt be doing any. The company he resells for is supposed to maintain the server. He just the middle man. He gets the client, tells the company, company sets up the account. Thats it right? Isnt that why it is called reselling?
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

not to argue but...

IMO that is not reselling.

Reselling is not like what many people think.

Many of you think that all there is to reselling is collecting payments. Trust me, it's NOT. If you are not an admin of the server, it doesn't mean that you don't have to do anything.

Some people start reselling without having a clue on even what DNS is.

Would you like to e-mail your host asking for ex. to setup a subdomain under your domain, and then get a respose 'Could you please be more specific?'

If you are a reseller, you don't need to know how to run the server, but you should know how to offer basic tech support to your customers. Most of the things that your customers will want to do, add email and FTP accounts, add subdomains, change file permissions, etc, can be done through the customers control panel. Also, most of the basic problems your customers will have can be answered by the FAQ and online users manual your hosting provider will give you. Many on the problems that I have seen come into tech support are the result of people not taking the time to read these documents before they contact tech support. Before you begin reselling here are a few things you should know:

1. Play around with your hosting package a few weeks before taking on customers. Make sure you know how to use everything about the control panel and how to use it. If you have questions, ask them now.

2. Read all the FAQ and online manual documents your host has provided you. I suggest printing out a copy to keep next to your computer for quick reference.

3. Make sure you know the correct pats to perl, sendmail, etc. and how to change file permissions. Most of the tech support questions you will receive about cgi scripts will be from customers that have these set wrong.

4. Be willing to do a little research on your own before you contact your upstream provider. It is amazing how much more you will learn when you try to find the answers yourself.

5. When you do have to contact tech support, give all the details of the problem that you can. This way your question can be answered the first time without your upstream having to ask you for further details. This will alow you to give your customer a guicker response, and will not take up a techs time with extra emails.

I hope some of these suggestions helped. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Originally posted by UnitedTec
    4. Be willing to do a little research on your own before you contact your upstream provider. It is amazing how much more you will learn when you try to find the answers yourself.
    Your post offered some great advice UnitedTec, and I think this one is a biggie. Don't continually email your provider asking thousands of questions about web hosting. They aren't there to teach you about servers, how to admin a server, how to run a company, etc., they are there to provide the technical aspects of hosting while you can concentrate on selling.

As UnitedTec said, sign up for the full account, and use the system. Once you feel comfortable with it and have looked through the FAQ's and manual, you'll be ready to answer most questions that are thrown at you. You don't have to know everything, but at least know where to find the answers.

I like Bogdan's comment, "Would you like to e-mail your host asking for ex. to setup a subdomain under your domain, and then get a respose 'Could you please be more specific?'". You should be familiar with at least the basic terms and what is possible and what is not possible. This may vary slightly depending on your provider.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I'll add one more comment (purposely seperated from the last post).

Just because you are reselling, it doesn't mean that you should treat it any differently than if you were providing the service yourself with your own servers, etc. What do I mean?

You are starting a company and providing a service. I would suggest saving up some money as it is very difficult to start a company with $20. Just something to think about.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Chicken is right (this time).

You do need to know everything about what you are doing. Being a reseller is in fact owning your own company, but you are now a middle man instead of the goto guy. It doesn't diminsh your responsibilities, though.

Becoming a reseller involves time and patience and a learning curve that is required of any business. You need to make sure that your customers are taken care of, and not having all of the questions that go to you from your customers go back to the original hosting company. You are the pointman. You need to make things happen. If you take a question like "How can I add another POP3 mailbox?" You need to know how to do this and not come back to the hosting company. Believe me, the hosting company has their own techs for their own customers.

Well, I can go on, but I see I have been given the cut sign, so...
    Top Hat Domains
    Internet Services for Less. Period.
    Peoria, Arizona
    http://www.tophatdomains.com

I agree, with all that was said, no one can close there eyes and jump into any business. The point I was trying to make was that he deos not need to have the knowledge of administering a server. The Main hosts, CP should let him do all he needs to do. Thats why it is there.

Yes, he needs to know what each term means and stuff, but he does not need to know the syntax for the statement to implement it.
    The Php Support Desk

Thank you all for your help! I knew there was more than just selling the service which is why I asked. My main concern was in fact being able to do things myself without running to the upsource. However my lack of experience might prevent me in performing what most would seem basic commands.

From what I am gathering from your replies most of the things I would need to do can be done from the control panel correct?

I would still like to learn how to use TELNET, SSH and some other things. Should I just go out and buy a Redhat Linux , or Apache Server book? or perhaps both? Would this help me to better understand how to perform the things I am questioning?

Sorry for all these questions I would just like to really learn this before I jump into it.

Originally posted by Chicken
    You are starting a company and providing a service. I would suggest saving up some money as it is very difficult to start a company with $20. Just something to think about.
    When I said "I was working with a limited amount of money" I was basically saying that buying servers and dedicated connections to run on site was out of the question for me. I have much more than $20 to invest in my endeavor. Which is why I am trying to learn as much as possible before investing any of it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Brian

Talking

Which is why I am trying to learn as much as possible before investing any of it.
    This is always a good sign. If you are wiling to take the time to learn about server admin and what goes into making a web hosting company work, you should have no problems. Many people think this is a way to get rich quick, and soon go out of business. Take your time and make sure you don't try to do everything at once.

Best of luck.

Originally posted by BrianP
    I would still like to learn how to use TELNET, SSH and some other things. Should I just go out and buy a Redhat Linux , or Apache Server book? or perhaps both? Would this help me to better understand how to perform the things I am questioning?
    Well, what I did when I first didn't understand all I needed to know was to actually install a copy of Linux on my machine and take it for a test drive. It was probably the best way for me to learn the ins and out without having to worry about messing anything up.

A good Linux install will allow you to test every aspect of what you are looking for and more. It is actually a fun way of getting back to basics with the computer (for those of us who remember that there was life before Windows!) -- waiting to get slammed for that one!

Hope this helps, and good luck
    Top Hat Domains
    Internet Services for Less. Period.
    Peoria, Arizona
    http://www.tophatdomains.com

For some good reading I would also suggest Red Hat Linux Unleashed (Sams). Once you are ready to get more sophisticated or move to a dedicated server look at Essential Systems Administration (O'Reilly), DNS and Bind (O'Reilly), Sendmail (O'Reilly), and Professional Apache (Wrox). Red Hat Linux Unleashed gives a good overview of using Linux and setting things up. The other books get into detail on specific servers and systems. All are very good. Hope this helps.