Virus Luke Filewalker

My PC got infested with virus Luke Filewalker

its doing all sort of odd things even sending wrong messages to people on gtalk, yahoo etc...

does anyone know a quick remedy to this?

It even chnages the name of my Anti Virus program AVG to Luke file walker when the scan is going on

and Internet goes off and On all due to the virus
    Last edited by AsianHost; 03-31-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    |★★★||★★★|ahead of you
    |★★★||★★★|
    |★★★||★★★|

Luke filewalker is actually the Avira virus scanner.

Download malwarebyes, install it and boot into safemode if you can. Do a full scan and find out if it detects anything. Probably good to make backups and backup your registry before hand though.
    Reboot and repeat depending on the results. Don't download anything illegal either

Without knowing much else and just going off what you posted, it sounds like a pretty weak virus and shouldn't be too hard to remove.

Also, maintain proper backups. It's better to reformat or revert to old backups when you get infected. You never know what type of security features and such are disabled or open for easier infection in the future.
    Last edited by techjr; 03-31-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Thank You for the guidance.

Looks easy now !
    |★★★||★★★|ahead of you
    |★★★||★★★|
    |★★★||★★★|

Im sorry ya have to go thru this buddy!!

I hope ya can get it fixed straight away

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

The worst was AntiVirus 2009 or 2010 on windows xp.. that was the most annoying thing to remove on peoples computers.

I use a combo of malaware (paid) and microsoft security essentials.. they seem to do a good job together.. then again I don't download random torrents or exes or goto crack sites.. which are the 2 main sources for a quick virus.. windows malicious software removal is good to run once in awhile, it's the 1 app that if you rename it and boot in safe mode it gets rid of the more nasty viruses (ie kernel shutdowns, program execution blocking, no taskman or windows explorer) - most tend to just block filenames and what not from running.. so a simple rename allows you to open up a/v proggies when you can't... but it doesn't get rid of the annoying google forward viruses.

If you insist on doing things that aren't totally moral you may caution yourself to notice filesizes, ext types and comments.. Malaware is good at blocking accidental click to malicious sites

You can also inspect your computer using Hijackthis and look at the log... some of the really nasty viruses require you to delve deeper which I don't recommend doing unless you're familiar with those programs as they can really mess up your computer even more
    Last edited by mg-; 03-31-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    I specialize in neck beards
    https://thatshirt.com

was a worm from an old software installation W32/Sality.AT
    removed with avira

Starting the file scan:

Begin scan in 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\asr_68485.exe'
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\asr_68485.exe
    [DETECTION] Contains code of the W32/Sality.AT Windows virus
    [NOTE] The file was repaired!

End of the scan: Sunday, April 01, 2012 03:48
    Used time: 00:10 Minute(s)

The scan has been done completely.

0 Scanned directories
    38 Files were scanned
    10 Viruses and/or unwanted programs were found
    0 Files were classified as suspicious
    0 Files were deleted
    10 Viruses and unwanted programs were repaired
    0 Files were moved to quarantine
    0 Files were renamed
    0 Files cannot be scanned
    28 Files not concerned
    0 Archives were scanned
    0 Warnings
    1 Notes
    |★★★||★★★|ahead of you
    |★★★||★★★|
    |★★★||★★★|

Quote Originally Posted by mg- View Post
    The worst was AntiVirus 2009 or 2010 on windows xp.. that was the most annoying thing to remove on peoples computers.

I use a combo of malaware (paid) and microsoft security essentials.. they seem to do a good job together.. then again I don't download random torrents or exes or goto crack sites.. which are the 2 main sources for a quick virus.. windows malicious software removal is good to run once in awhile, it's the 1 app that if you rename it and boot in safe mode it gets rid of the more nasty viruses (ie kernel shutdowns, program execution blocking, no taskman or windows explorer) - most tend to just block filenames and what not from running.. so a simple rename allows you to open up a/v proggies when you can't... but it doesn't get rid of the annoying google forward viruses.

If you insist on doing things that aren't totally moral you may caution yourself to notice filesizes, ext types and comments.. Malaware is good at blocking accidental click to malicious sites

You can also inspect your computer using Hijackthis and look at the log... some of the really nasty viruses require you to delve deeper which I don't recommend doing unless you're familiar with those programs as they can really mess up your computer even more
    You should see what the antivirus 2013 does on windows vista and 7 machines. Disables the security center. Disables the firewall. Hides the c:\windows\install directory and disables the services for it. Disables the show hidden folders option so you can't see where the virus is for manual removal. And it corrupts about 15 services that have to be manually repaired if the client really doesn't want to reformat. Even deletes certain registry keys to make sure you can't get the services back up unless you grab the keys from other systems.

It's a good 12+ hours of work repairing the damage it does. Most virus scanners or anything don't fix the error and non of microsofts tools can properly recover it. Even worse is if you don't have a tool that clears the hosts file for you (This should be checked anyways) the instant you open a browser and do anything you are infected again........ I hate it. What it does isn't too massively bad, it does so much and in such ways that recovering takes much longer than manually backing up data and reformatting. Which bad clients don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianHost View Post
    was a worm from an old software installation W32/Sality.AT
    removed with avira

Starting the file scan:

Begin scan in 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\asr_68485.exe'
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\asr_68485.exe
    [DETECTION] Contains code of the W32/Sality.AT Windows virus

End of the scan: Sunday, April 01, 2012 03:48
    Used time: 00:10 Minute(s)

The scan has been done completely.

0 Scanned directories
    38 Files were scanned
    10 Viruses and/or unwanted programs were found
    0 Files were classified as suspicious
    0 Files were deleted
    10 Viruses and unwanted programs were repaired
    0 Files were moved to quarantine
    0 Files were renamed
    0 Files cannot be scanned
    28 Files not concerned
    0 Archives were scanned
    0 Warnings
    1 Notes
    Nice to see it resolved. Well if your symptoms are gone at least. I never like to say a system is clean if symptoms are gone. You never know what hidden stuff virus systems can't pick up yet are lurking

still more

there r more virus inside caught another one but not over
    |★★★||★★★|ahead of you
    |★★★||★★★|
    |★★★||★★★|

Quote Originally Posted by mg-
    That got on the XP computer we have upstairs..... It actually was quite easy to remove... I just did a system restore to a week BEFORE IT HAPPEND and it was gone.... (My mum was using it and didnt know what was going on)

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

have switched the firewall on..

now everything is fine again
    |★★★||★★★|ahead of you
    |★★★||★★★|
    |★★★||★★★|

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    That got on the XP computer we have upstairs..... It actually was quite easy to remove... I just did a system restore to a week BEFORE IT HAPPEND and it was gone.... (My mum was using it and didnt know what was going on)

The newer ones and some variations of the older one deletes your system restore and corrupts its functionality.

have switched the firewall on..

now everything is fine again
    That makes no sense to be honest. Are you sure everything is fixed?

yeah once the firewall turned on most of the problems like internet switching off --has stopped

donno
    maybe the viru program executes when there is no firewall..

i am sure there must be more viruses inside...but no harm at the moment.
    i am trying to avoid formatting the disk since my data will be erased
    |★★★||★★★|ahead of you
    |★★★||★★★|
    |★★★||★★★|

I have something that you might wanna try out, it could take around 10-15 mins to complete :

#1 open your startup menu

#2 write on the search bar : MRT.EXE
    MRT.exe stands for Microsft Removal Tool

#3 try a long scan

I hope it's going to fix the problem!

yeah once the firewall turned on most of the problems like internet switching off --has stopped

donno
    maybe the viru program executes when there is no firewall..

i am sure there must be more viruses inside...but no harm at the moment.
    i am trying to avoid formatting the disk since my data will be erased
    You know vista and 7 have an option (Probably xp too) that lets you reinstall while keeping all of your original data intact. As long as what you click on isn't infected in some way, it can be recovered easily.

You also mentioned people posting on your chat programs. So either you have your passwords remembered or you have been keylogged. You are a dangers to others. Fix it.