Exclamation Is my router broken?

Hey guys. I currently have a router that can split the connection to 4 PCs. About a week or so ago, all the ports were working fine.

Yesterday, I took out the ethernet cable from Port 3 (It was a 5m one) and changed it with a 50m one because we were setting up another computer at another room.

Well, since then, Port 3 has been working up.

Port 1 (mine), Port 2 (bro's), Port 4 (internet phone) works fine and is going at full speed of 100mbps. But for Port 3, if I run it at full 100mbps, the computer can't even connect to the router. If I put it at half 10mbps, then it at least connects. If the cable is short, the internet's great, if I try out the 50m one, it starts to lag up a bit.

I know that the 50m one works for sure because I connected it to Port 1, 2, and 4 and it works fine. It seems like there's a possible problem with Port 3?

I allow the computer so that the DHCP thing is turned on (retrieving IPs automatically and such), but it seems like it can't retrieve it.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

What kind of router are we talking about here? It could be a problem physically with the port; have you checked that it looks the same inside as the rest?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Did it run at 100mbit before just fine?

If its a crappy cable you will run into issues at 50 metres but that doesn't explain why just that port would.

Have you tried switching it on and off again?

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

I've tried restarting it and no luck.

Tailseh, yes it did run fine before. From the way it looks, it looks fine like the other three.

I doubt it's the computer setting because it doesn't work on all the labtops.

Hi There, Have you tried resetting the router to factory defaults by using the reset button? If not be sure to read the manufacturers instructions for a factory reset.

Regards,
    Chris
    www.postasite.net- Affordable, Reliable U.S/U.K Web Hosting.
    Cpanel | Domain Name Registration | SSL Certificates.
    In business since 2003

make sure nothing heavy is sitting on the wire