Can *67 number be traced?

We all know that when you dial *67 before dialing the phone number you are calling that your number will be descreet and private so it cannot be traced.

BUT is there a way for the person you called to be able to trace the call back to your actual number even though you used *67?

I was told you could 100% do that but how? I thought if you used *67 your number could NOT be traced back to you? Is there a special type of service that allows you to trace these private calls? I'm trying to fiqure this out, does anyone know?

I don't understand how it could be done... I know there definitely has to be some special service you order from your phone company I guess? Anyone know

unless they go through the phone company i dont think theres a way it can be traced back to you
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by GroveStreetNetworks
    unless they go through the phone company i dont think theres a way it can be traced back to you
    That's what I've heard as well. It'll be interesting to hear if you can trace it from a residential area Time to bust these prankers!

Interesting, I just called bellsouth... they say there is noway to trace the private *67 dialer back to their real number.

GroveStreetNetworks,
    What do you mean when you say "Unless they go through the phone company i dont think theres a way it can be traced back to you"... what do you mean through the phone company?

Like a special service you order from the phone company enabling you top trace such numbers? Is that what you meant? I searched and there is no such service. I'm going to google this again... first time I only checked split second... I'll google more throughly this time

Isn't *67 just for blocking caller id and *69? Anything that goes over a phone line or through a satellite can be traced if someone really wanted to.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Yes, what *67 does is make your number appear as private. It cannot be traced... not even if you *69 and try to call it back.

I think I found the answer, the only way you can really trace it is if you hire a PI or use that type of PI method as described below:

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...race+*67&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    GroveStreetNetworks,
    What do you mean when you say "Unless they go through the phone company i dont think theres a way it can be traced back to you"... what do you mean through the phone company?
    I think he means that if someone calls you with a private number, you can call the phone company and have them tell you who made the call.

I'm not sure why it would be any different in the United States but a *67 call can be traced by the phone company.

Recently there have been bomb threats phoned into schools here and the pranksters got caught by the phone company.

It really makes sense because if the phone company was unable to trace a *67 call well then there could be major issues.

So unless a call was threatening the phone company probably won't let you know who called.
    Last edited by macdonaldp; 12-28-2005 at 04:10 PM.

What i mean by " them going through the phone company" would be someone getting a court order for the phone compan to release the records of the phoneline that recived the calls
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

Even when you've disabled caller ID, there's ANI (automatic number identification). If you call a party that has access to that, which includes calls to 911, sometimes to law enforcement agencies directly, and usually to toll free or 900 numbers, they'll have your ANI... that is, they'll have your phone number.

Also even when CNID is "disabled" it's still given to the switches throughout the system, but with a privacy bit enabled to keep it from being visible to the person you're calling. So phone companies can trace calls because they have both that data and the ANI.

So how useful that is depends on which side of the call you are.
    Last edited by JayC; 12-28-2005 at 10:11 PM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I noticed when I called AOL to cancel my free 30 subscription I ALWAYS use *67 and they were able to look up my account automatically by getting my phone number. I am not sure how and I did ask but I got pushed around on the phone for about 20 minutes and gave up.

I had an account with Virgin Mobile, one of those pay as you go cell phone accounts. I could go on line and log into my account and view the numbers for all incoming and out going calls. All the incoming calls that said "private" on the phone had the number listed in my account . Most of those were still untracable because they were cell numbers. But I could call them back if i wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by OKI-Paul
    I noticed when I called AOL to cancel my free 30 subscription I ALWAYS use *67 and they were able to look up my account automatically by getting my phone number. I am not sure how
    Because you called their 800 number, for which they apparently have ANI access. CNID (Calling Number ID, what's usually marketed as "caller ID") and ANI are two different services, and while you can choose not to display your CNID to people that you call, you can't hide your ANI -- but most phone subscribers can't see it.

I wonder if the telephone company keeps a special log of people using *67.

Well....

Here is how I do that....

If I want to find out a number of someone who is calling me. I simply forward the calls to the number they are calling to my toll-free number (which ignores *67) and get the number from that. Works 98% of the time.

Now it would be obvious if you were giving them the 800 number that you are wanting their number (if they knew what was going on), but if you simply forward calls from your regular number (as i said above) then no one will really know the difference.

you can forward calls using *72 (must be a feature of your line)
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

Well, i see this concept similar to the rumor where somone can find your position on the planet using the direct connect AIM function. Generally it would be hard, but givin the right tools or contacts you can do it.

--on the *72 feature, if I *69 that, would it give me the # that it forwareded from, or the origional #?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO
    on the *72 feature, if I *69 that, would it give me the # that it forwareded from, or the origional #?
    It's supposed to be the originating number, but it's really up to the phone carrier of the party which does the forwarding as to how they implement it. Some will show the forwarding number.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO
    Well, i see this concept similar to the rumor where somone can find your position on the planet using the direct connect AIM function. Generally it would be hard, but givin the right tools or contacts you can do it.
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, but AIM direct connect establishes a direct connection between your computer and the other parties computer. Using netstat, it's possible to get the other parties IP address, and then make an educated judgement about where this person may likely be located, typically down to a particular metropolitan area. You certaintly cannot pinpoint someone's exact street address or lat/long coordindates based on this info, but you can make a reasonable educated guess about where in the world the person you are communicated with is actually located.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    I wonder if the telephone company keeps a special log of people using *67.
    They could be considered suspicious by the NSA.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but AIM direct connect establishes a direct connection between your computer and the other parties computer. Using netstat, it's possible to get the other parties IP address, and then make an educated judgement about where this person may likely be located, typically down to a particular metropolitan area.
    Mission Impossible and NSA fantasies aside, this cannot be done. As you are well aware, anyone can use a proxy to fake their location. In addition, people that are on AOL's network get different ips based on their connection (during a single session).

Also, this technique doesn't apply outside of the US or Europe. If you were to trace my IP for example, you would see it landed squarely in Kuwait. No metropolitan areas or anything like that.

All in all, a waste of time. If you are direct connecting to someone, why do you want to know where they are?

Nope, unfourtanely can't be traced back to you. Oh well though, I just don't answer a number if it is private.
    Carolina-Host - The final stop for ALL your web site needs!
    US & EU Datacenters | 100% Money back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime | Weekly Site Backups
    cPanel w/ Softaculous | Webalizer/Awstats | Site.Pro Website Builder | Lite Speed
    Poarch & Associates - Accounting, Tax Preparation, & Payroll Services since 1985

Someone else mentioned in here...
    caller ID is nothing more than a number showing up on your phone/caller ID unit.
    However, there is ANI (Auto Number ID) which is what the phone company uses to follow the call. When you dial *82 to unblock or *67 to block it, your just telling the phone company not to display your number to the other party. If you call an 800, 900 or any toll free numbers. Emergency numbers (911) are included in this, along with the Operation (0) and Directory Assistance (411, 311). The switches of course keep information of every call made from your line. The only way to get the number of a blocked call is usually with a court order served to the phone company (see subpoena'd information).

-randyc

Quote Originally Posted by randyc
    The only way to get the number of a blocked call is usually with a court order served to the phone company (see subpoena'd information).

-randyc

I've had problems with prank callers, and if you can find someone who is new at the phone company and doesn't know they aren't supposed to give out ANI information of calling parties you can get numbers