Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HostingCon 2012

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    I'll get exhibit hall passes, pop my head in the first day for any free beer and goodies then explore the city :-0. HostingCon was fun last year, but I don't need to meet 15 more used networking gear vendors nor 5 more DDOS protection providers .
    It should only really be 1 or 2 DDoS protection providers, but the others got tired of getting a competitive butt kicking in 2009 and 2010 .

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Good, I'll buy you a (free) beer.
    I think you will get free beer there
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Hmm it's on my birthday this year.
    It's also one day shy of FRH Lisa's birthday!

Any of you locals know of a good, affordable (under $100 per person) steakhouse near the convention center, or easily accessible by public transit?
    The world would be a better place if people drank better coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by supergper View Post
    Jump on the bus/subway/train and get wherever you need to go for a few bucks.
    We're actually staying in Burlington, about 20 miles from the convention center (so about 60 minutes if my memory of Boston rush hour is correct). Got a suite for about one-third the price of the convention special at the Sheraton! Unfortunately the mass transit options from my hotel pretty much don't exist. They require walking a few blocks to catch a bus to the train -- about two hours total.

NY and Philly rush hour doesn't faze me, so I'm sure I can handle a little Boston. If anyone wants to carpool from the Burlington area, we have room for two - feel free to PM me.

I want to save up so I can go to the nxt one

This should be fun As someone else meantioned transit system in boston is great. Parking at min will be $20/day so add that into cost of rental your nearly at ~$60.

I should have got a bus and carpooled all the people staying at hotels as a sponsorship to hostingCon
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation, Dedicated Servers & VPS

Trains DO NOT RUN LATE

A great public transportation system for sure, but gets a bit dicey after midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial View Post
    This should be fun As someone else meantioned transit system in boston is great. Parking at min will be $20/day so add that into cost of rental your nearly at ~$60.

I should have got a bus and carpooled all the people staying at hotels as a sponsorship to hostingCon

I think we're going to wind up driving to the Anderson / Woburn station (from our hotel in Burlington) and taking the Lowell line to North Station, then take the Green C line to Hynes. Looks like it's about 70 minutes, but at least we'll be relaxing on the train and not driving. $14 per person round trip, plus $4 to park.

Boston locals, does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Whats the evening/social line up looking like? Anything planned yet? If I go I'll skip the conference stuff and just hit the social stuff in the evenings.
    We don't call it PartyCon for nothing! You can always count on evening/social events!
    Ryan Kekos GearHost - HostingCon Advisory Board and Speaker
    PaaS Cloud for .NET and PHP Developers
    100% real cloud - all apps/sites live in web farm clusters, all SSD, etc.
    Signup for 100 Domains & 100 Databases - No credit card required

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
    We don't call it PartyCon for nothing! You can always count on evening/social events!
    You always meet tons of people at the parties that you cannot remember seeing at HostingCon itself

Quote Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
    I think we're going to wind up driving to the Anderson / Woburn station (from our hotel in Burlington) and taking the Lowell line to North Station, then take the Green C line to Hynes. Looks like it's about 70 minutes, but at least we'll be relaxing on the train and not driving. $14 per person round trip, plus $4 to park.

Sounds about right, but just wondering--why stay in Burlington?

Also, you won't be able to stay out past midnight
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Sounds about right, but just wondering--why stay in Burlington?
    Cost. We paid $89 / night for a suite. Even after considering mass transit, that's still almost one-third the cost of staying at the Sheraton in Boston. Funny story, too: when we first registered, the Sheraton's standard nightly rate on Travelocity, Orbitz, and Expedia was only $189 / night.

I can make that $400 go a loooooooong way in advertising.

Also, you won't be able to stay out past midnight
    True. Look at it this way: We'll just stick around in the city and get a super-early start on the next day. Besides, the bars close at 2, so we won't be missing a whole lot.

This con is at least alittle better then most other

Beats this http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...23499148_n.jpg

I work down the street from Anderson Station, that's 93 North @ exit 37c at 5 oclock, took about 10 minutes from the start of the onramp to the actual highway.

Quote Originally Posted by [x10]Brandon View Post
    I work down the street from Anderson Station, that's 93 North @ exit 37c at 5 oclock, took about 10 minutes from the start of the onramp to the actual highway.
    Wow! Our morning commute will be a short hop along 95 East to 93 North to the station, so hopefully it won't be that bad. Looking at that picture, I almost wonder if it would be better to get off 95 at 38 and take back roads to the station.

Either way, thanks for cementing my decision to use public transit!

Wow! Our morning commute will be a short hop along 95 East to 93 North to the station, so hopefully it won't be that bad. Looking at that picture, I almost wonder if it would be better to get off 95 at 38 and take back roads to the station.

Either way, thanks for cementing my decision to use public transit!
    Yeah, back roads from 95 to 38 arn't that hard. Either way plan accordingly lol traffic sucks in MASS
    Brandon Long | https://brandonlong.me/
    Just a guy with a brain.

come to indonesian

Quote Originally Posted by [x10]Brandon View Post
    Yeah, back roads from 95 to 38 arn't that hard. Either way plan accordingly lol traffic sucks in MASS
    We definitely will. I'd rather get downtown way ahead of schedule and walk around the city for a while than stroll in an hour late. How's the Lowell line during late nights? Any safety concerns?

We definitely will. I'd rather get downtown way ahead of schedule and walk around the city for a while than stroll in an hour late. How's the Lowell line during late nights? Any safety concerns?
    Not really sure I never use Public Transit. I don't hear much on the news though !
    Brandon Long | https://brandonlong.me/
    Just a guy with a brain.

How's the Lowell line during late nights? Any safety concerns?
    Where are you staying again? I take the commuter rail daily into/out of North Station, but not the Lowell line. Safety seems fine, just might see some drunk people if it's the last train out.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Intended to miss this year's HC having been every year since inception, it all got a bit "samey" and cPanelconf provided our annual hit of networking over the pond, but what the hell just booked flights and will be in Boston for the week...
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Anyone else staying at the W? It's my preference over the Sheraton for $50/night more.....
    Matt Wallis

O it means that I missed many things about HostingCon

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Matt View Post
    Intended to miss this year's HC having been every year since inception, it all got a bit "samey" and cPanelconf provided our annual hit of networking over the pond, but what the hell just booked flights and will be in Boston for the week...
    I think the organisers did a great job of making it less "salesy" in 2011 over 2010 (and San Diego was a fantastic choice of venue), but it'll always be a bit "cloud" this and "buy-my-stuff" that - it's the nature of the audience.

Anyway, who you flying with and when ?
    Not sure if my flights have been booked yet - ISTR we were looking at Friday-Friday on Virgin.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I have booked Virgin:

Depart London 15:05 Saturday, 14 Jul, 2012

Depart Boston 19:45 Friday, 20 Jul, 2012
    Matt Wallis

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast