Question Which Content Management system in Fantastico

Which content management system (offered within Fantastico) is best for a beginner - should have an easy learning curve and yet be robust and flexible?

Some of the choices are Joomla / Drupal / Geeklog / Mambo / Typo3 / PHPwebsite / Xoops / Siteframe etc.

Thanks for your comments!

You would actually consider to manually install (any of those CMS's, if you search on this forum you will see the reasons why). Anyway my preferred is Wordpress even tho Joomla is getting loads of good words.

Just do a search before you chose to use any of them.

Tho, isn't this the wrong topic for this question?

Question

Umm, what is your point exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by wbengal
    Umm, what is your point exactly?
    It has a list of all the scripts Fantastico installs.

I also recommend Wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Fact
    I also recommend Wordpress.
    Wordpress is listed in Fantastico as a blogging software; does it also work as a CMS?

Hello,
    Wordpress is a blogging software but has some nice functions. What kind of website would you like to do? tell us first it will help.
    Otherwise for CMS I recommend joomla for its community and drupal for its simplicity. You can check at opensourcesCMS to test all of these
    Good luck

If your going to have blocks of text with links etc. here and there, you'd be better off with Joomla. You can do it in Wordpress but you have mess with code and stuff. But for blogging? I use WP all the way. Mambo right now has very little support since Joomla broke off from them. Typo 3 has a steep learning curve and Geeklog is configured kind of strange. IMO only.

fewcoin

Drupal 5.1 is good too, but takes a bit of time to learn.

fewcoin

If you know your way around computers and you take the time to follow Joomla's User guide, you should be able to find your way around it. Gaining knowledge takes time and effort, there's no real way around it... yet.

I agree with you Dan, of all on that list, I would go with Joomla too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

The company I work for has decided to push joomla as our main CMS solution. So far it's been going great, no problems and all our customers seem to enjoy it. Granted we have someone in house that does training sessions over the phone or goes out to their office to train them but I think it's a solid CMS and I have no problem recommending it to anyone who needs a CMS.

On that note, since you have fantastico why not just give them the option of all of those and let them decide? No point in limiting your users if you have the ability to provide all of these with little hassle.
    Azuretek :: Company and Projects
    AbiRendon.com :: Blog and Tech Journal

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    ...Gaining knowledge takes time and effort, there's no real way around it... yet.
    The wisdom of that comment is unchallengable (and of course the point is well taken) - but it is so easy to attempt the easy way and eschew the hard way!

I find either Mambo or Joomla the best.

Wordpress or e107. (e107 isn't in Fantastico).
    The rest are fairly shoddy scripts that have frequent exploits.

I use Wordpress both as blog software, and as a CMS tool. Wordpress works fine as a CMS. Incidentally, using the right template with Wordpress makes a huge difference in whether it comes across as a blog, or an information site. But yes, WP works just fine.

That said, I have just started building a new site in Joomla. I was very frustrated by it until I sat down and READ the User Guide this past weekend. Like, actually sat my butt in a chair and forced myself to read. Now Joomla makes sense and I am not as befuddled by it. I can sense its power/capability, now I just have to figure out how to make the template do what I want it to do.

Joomla is much more complex than Wordpress. If your needs are fairly straightforward, Wordpress will work beautifully as a CMS.

Example: http://www.successdoctor.com/ is done in Wordpress... you'd never guess though, huh!

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by wbengal
    Which content management system (offered within Fantastico) is best for a beginner - should have an easy learning curve and yet be robust and flexible?
    Wordpress, if you want to use it as a CMS, would probably have the easiest learning curve and is pretty robust but it may not have the flexibility you need.

In general, increased flexibility requires a greater learning curve.

Joomla and Drupal both install easily via Fantastico (assuming Fantastico is set up and maintained well on your host). They both have a significant learning bump that is best climbed by setting aside a few days to bury yourself in the manuals and in setting up test sites. Once you grok them though, they're both very easy to use and flexible.
    Forayweb - Online Solutions for Your Business
    Expert Hosting and Pay-As-You-Go Web Services

We're using WordPress for our new site and it so far has been great.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers