Switching from HostGator.

Today (8:00 AM) I logged in to my Forum's Admin CP and noticed the server load was 30+.

I used HostGator's live support to ask why it was so unusually high and this was the response I got:

Please wait for a HostGator operator to respond.

Chat InformationWelcome to HostGator Live Chat! You are now chatting with 'James Z.'

James Z.: Welcome to HostGator, how may I assist you?

Andrew: Hello, the server load my website is hosted on is 30+.

James Z.: ok

Andrew: Server load: 35.28

Andrew: Not acceptable.

James Z.: What is the primary domain name on the account please?

Andrew: *

James Z.: You are on a shared server.

James Z.: It has lots of traffic.

Andrew: But this server load is not normal.

James Z.: To change that you would have to upgrade to a dedicated server.

Andrew: OK bye!

James Z.: Ok, take care and have a great day!

James Z.: Thank you for using HostGator Live Chat. Your opinion is very important to us. When closing the chat, please take a minute to fill out the brief survey that pops up so that we may continue to improve our customer service and support.
    Absolutely pathetic. My website has slowed to a crawl.

Anyone know any hosts that actually care about their server loads on their shared servers?

Server load is unacceptably high and I bet they are getting a load of complaints about it. I doubt it would be that severe all the time though (or shouldn't be) and hopefully they will take action. See how things are in an hours or so's time.
    Paul Lee - Weycrest.Com Limited
    UK Shared, VPS, Reseller Hosting
    Nominet Member | Tucows Registrar | Enta Reseller | Parallels Partner

Quote Originally Posted by weycrest View Post
    Server load is unacceptably high and I bet they are getting a load of complaints about it. I doubt it would be that severe all the time though (or shouldn't be) and hopefully they will take action. See how things are in an hours or so's time.
    According to this representative, they don't give a damn about their shared server's load. So I'd imagine I will continue having these problems in the future.

Where are you going to move to?

Where do you plan to "relocate" your website now?

I'm not sure yet. I may need some help with that. I was taking a look at LiquidWeb.

We had a server load of around 30 for a few hours earlier in the week due to a site getting more traffic then usual. All sites on this server were still getting sub 5-second page response, even on the sql-backed sites.

It's all about how the box is setup. To the OP, be sure to judge on the performance, not the load number, as that number is dependent upon hundreds of variables and how the box is configured. You can't compare load between unix servers and think you're getting apples-to-apples.

Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Maker177 View Post

Absolutely pathetic. My website has slowed to a crawl.

Anyone know any hosts that actually care about their server loads on their shared servers?
    Did you use the Hostgator feedback mechanism or post a ticket?

I don't think you understand how load averages work.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_(computing)

I'm amazed how much the HostGator rep didn't seem to give a damn. . Thats the one downside I see to going with large hosts, many times your voice isn't heard unless your a high paying user.

Did you try sending a ticket and having it assigned to Brent? Maybe he can help.

You know, tickets resolve the issue. Live Chat is just Level 1 support for those people with questions like: "I didn't get my welcome email", "what are my name servers", and "how do I setup so and so".

That's why I always use tickets
    abuse could help. I had that issue once, it was resolved in an hour.

You really should give them a second chance, if you don't give a host a second chance, you'll be moving hosts A LOT. I could see moving hosts for downtime, but give them a chance to fix the issue with a higher level support person.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Hello,

What is your ticket number with us? Chat is our lowest level of support and where all new employees are put. Every one of our employees including chat would be admins, but unfortunately America doesn't have enough qualified system admins to make this happen.

This chat is beyond pathetic but to assume the entire company as a whole doesn't care due to the stupidity of on employee isn't fair. I do not recognize this employees name so chances are he's new, and if this type of performance continues he will quickly be dropped.

I myself spends hours every day investigating server loads. It's usually spammers, out of control scripts, etc. If we didn't care this would be a common problem for you not a once in a while issue.

If you care about your server load stay away from the big oversellers like DreamHost, Hostgater or Site5.
    I recommend WebFaction: they don't oversell so their server loads tend to be quite low.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_3d View Post
    If you care about your server load stay away from the big oversellers like DreamHost, Hostgater or Site5.
    I recommend WebFaction: they don't oversell so their server loads tend to be quite low.
    Dreamhost and hostgator both have records of being able to actually offer what they provide. I've hosted over 50GB of diskspace on dreamhost and 30GB on hostgator - no problems. Site5 on the other hand, I hosted with them, but my server was down every couple days.

And it looks like webfaction is quite the overseller. Their lowest plan is 600GB bandwidth, yes I know that its less than hostgator, but don't be bashing overselling if you're going to recommend it.

I'm a HostGator customer since 2006 and when I had some problems, the live support always manage to help me in real time. I will stay with HostGator always! ...I'm a Happy HostGator Customer!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_3d View Post
    I recommend WebFaction:

They also seem to have a good reputation here. How do you get on with their interface? (Not CPanel I presume.)

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hello,

What is your ticket number with us? Chat is our lowest level of support and where all new employees are put. Every one of our employees including chat would be admins, but unfortunately America doesn't have enough qualified system admins to make this happen.

This chat is beyond pathetic but to assume the entire company as a whole doesn't care due to the stupidity of on employee isn't fair. I do not recognize this employees name so chances are he's new, and if this type of performance continues he will quickly be dropped.

I myself spends hours every day investigating server loads. It's usually spammers, out of control scripts, etc. If we didn't care this would be a common problem for you not a once in a while issue.
    Hello,

Thank you for understanding. I have not submitted a support ticket because the server load seemed to have been fixed after about one hour. I didn't know that the live support is the lowest possible means of support, so I will not use it anymore.

Thanks!

P.S. The chat log is 100% legit. Check your logs if you want.
    Last edited by Maker177; 03-30-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post
    I'm amazed how much the HostGator rep didn't seem to give a damn. . Thats the one downside I see to going with large hosts, many times your voice isn't heard unless your a high paying user.
    I have to agree, more personal touch is achieved if company is small yet reliable, as you get to chat with the company owner itself most of the time .

Larger companies are so spread out that you end up reaching a dude who does not care about your site.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    I have to agree, more personal touch is achieved if company is small yet reliable, as you get to chat with the company owner itself most of the time .
    Conversely, I get worried when the same guy answers my tickets at all hours of the day and night. One day he's going to get tired of it - or hit by a bus - and there's no one else to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by brookie View Post
    Conversely, I get worried when the same guy answers my tickets at all hours of the day and night. One day he's going to get tired of it - or hit by a bus - and there's no one else to take over.
    Very well said. You never know. Even something a bit more realistic like catching up on sleep while the server slowly spits on error messages and crashes, or a family emergency during a DDOS attack.

That's why I'm cautious about small hosts. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with them if their featuers and price is right and they have more than one employee.

In the couple of years I've been with my current host, I have found that there is apparently one tech support person, and one person in the billing department. I know their names.

To their credit, they're probably tremendously overworked. But tickets get closed, or put on hold, and there's no notification to me that anythings been done or fixed.. though in most cases, the issues were eventually fixed.