Windows Server 2003 - What edition to go with?

Hey Guys,

Just need some advice...

I've been working on a large online browser game for the last year on and off - it's due to open for beta in Oct. This game is coded in PHP/AJAX with MySQL. It's quite heavy on different graphics with characters, items, illustrations etc. It will also have a selection of Flash games to play. Similar gaming sites have more than 1000 users online in peak hours and we estimate that and more within the first 3-5 months of opening.

I want to open my site on a Windows Server as I'm a lot more familiar with Windows (Having an MCP for Windows Server 2003). I am unsure however what edition to go with. At first I thought Windows Server 2003 Web Edition (Being a website!), but this only supports up to 2gb of ram I believe? and may prove to be an issue if we need to upgrade due to the high demand of online users.
    I understand I can have more than one server, but would you recommend another edition?

I haven't managed a server solely for the web before so any help is much appreciated
    Last edited by Lokei; 07-17-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Web edition is a lot more restricted. I believe, 64-bit Standard edition should be good for you.

- Rick
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Web edition supports only 2GB RAM and 2-Way Symmetric Multiprocessing. Thus you would need to first and foremost look at the server you have. For example if you have a Dual Quad Core server, your would need at least the Enterprise versions. I suggest you go through this chart to work out the licensing level you need based on hardware and the features you need: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Thank you both for your replies.. it's looking more likely that one of the Enterprise versions will be the best bet.

Standard Edition.

Enterprise edication is not needed every, unless you have a demand more lots of ram in 32 bit or you want to cluster.

Standard is MORE than enough
    Damien

I would also recommend you to the 64-bit Standard Edition.
    Kody R.
    US Datacenter Operations Manager
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth

64 Bit is what you will want to go with.

Not sure if this is relevant but if hosting with Microsoft SPLA using Standard or Enterprise editions works out very expensive as the unauthenticated option has been dropped.

Would any of you recommended a control panel?

If you really need one, either Plesk or DotnetPanel.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

You can consider HELM 3 or DNP on windows box...

- Rick
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Quote Originally Posted by sprintserve View Post
    Web edition supports only 2GB RAM and 2-Way Symmetric Multiprocessing. Thus you would need to first and foremost look at the server you have. For example if you have a Dual Quad Core server, your would need at least the Enterprise versions. I suggest you go through this chart to work out the licensing level you need based on hardware and the features you need: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
    Actually, a dual quad only requires Web. Each "core" doesn't count as a CPU. A dual quad core is only 2 cpu's.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Yes microsoft coutns a socket as a CPU nore a core. So if you got yourself a 4 core chip its still one CPU.

I have a 16 core 4x4 box with Sofylayer running Windows 2003 Standard fine
    Damien