Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

GoDaddy robbed me

I am hosting with GoDaddy $4 package, 5GB space.

5 Minutes ago, they sent me an email, see below

Dear xxxxx,

Per our agreement(s), we have automatically renewed the following items:

Product Name Unit Price Qty Total Price------------ ---------- --- -----------
    Economy Hosting w/ PHP - Renewal $ .00 1 $ .00
    Billing for 01/16/2006. yourdomain.com [prepaid]
    Web Hosting - Add'l 1000 MB
    Data Transfer - bursted $ 5.95 116 $ 690.20 ===========
    Subtotal: $ 690.20
    Tax: $ .00
    Shipping: $ .00 ===========
    TOTAL: $ 690.20

Your customer number is: 69xxxxxxx
    Last edited by Yahooer; 01-16-2006 at 08:41 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

They are extra charging me $700

is there any way I can sue them??

Guys, I need your help
      0 Not allowed!

Have you contacted them to let them know of the problem?

If so, what did they say?
      0 Not allowed!

Why are you talking about sueing them already?
    It may be an innocent mistake...

Did you call them and ask them for an explanation?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yahooer
    Only in America...

Calm down there before you start thinking about legal action. Take a second to e-mail their billing team and find out what happened. It was probably a mistake, possibly even a misprint. Have you even checked your credit card statement to see what it reflects? Probably not.

Five minutes after receiving the e-mail you shoot on here and post about it, without even contacting anyone or even speculating that it might be a mistake. Contact GoDaddy and find out what happened before you start getting sue-happy.

Not everyone is out to get you.
      0 Not allowed!

People like this really annoy me.
      0 Not allowed!

Oh, this sounds like you exceeded your traffic limit this month or last month. If you received a lot of traffic this month or last month, then they probably let you have it and are now billing you. I do not know whether you have a traffic limit in your hosting package which can not be exceeded? Do you?OR it was just some kind of technical error and maybe there were some technical problems which measured or recorded your traffic amount wrong.I would just send them an email and ask them or call them or use some other kind of support which they offer.Could someone please help ME now? In section Technical problems and questions I have posted a question about FTP. It would fantastic, if someone could answer.
      0 Not allowed!

yes, I am on the phone right now. They put me on hold for 35 minutes, juses, I was calling from Europe.

The billing dept. is off now, will come back in 3 hours. Support dept said they can do nothing about it. The guy told me I used 160GB extra bandwidth last month.

I pay them $4 per month, but now they are asking me for $700. They did not send me a warning email to tell me I was reaching the limit of bandwidth, and they do not offer Webalizer or Awstats, I even didn't know how many bandwidth I used. And they did not suspend my account for exceeding bandwidth.
      0 Not allowed!

The guy told me I used 160GB extra bandwidth last month.
    That's how they make their money - charging for extra usage. You will probably have to pay the amount whether you like it or not.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hostex Australia
    That's how they make their money - charging for extra usage. You will probably have to pay the amount whether you like it or not.
    Agreed.

I used to have a hosting account with GoDaddy and remember my bandwidth usage either being displayed on my control panel, or by visiting 'mydomain.com/stats'.

Was this not the case for you?
      0 Not allowed!

help.godaddy.com/article.php?article_id=16&topic_id=64&&

What is bandwidth?

Bandwidth is a measurement of the amount of data allowed to pass between a user’s Web site and the rest of the Internet.

For example, if your Web site—hosted on a 2GB/month Deluxe hosting account—contains a 1MB picture, that picture can be viewed 2000 times before you exceed the 2,000MB (2GB) limit. Exceeding your allotted bandwidth will incur an additional charge. Thus, if visitor number 2001 wants to view that picture, you will need to purchase additional bandwidth. Alternatively, your site will be redirected until you purchase additional bandwidth.

In general, if you have a commercial site or a site that generates a lot of traffic, you should consider getting additional bandwidth. If you have a basic, personal site that you have set up for friends and family, you probably do not need to order additional bandwidth.
      0 Not allowed!

If they charge 700 dollars for 160 GB bandwidth (traffic), it would mean they charge more than 4 dollars for 1 GB!! In my eyes, this seems to be pretty much. I would check their bandwidht/traffic prices and compare.
      0 Not allowed!

Loks like they didn't really rob you after all. You just didn't read the TOS. This is what happens when people buy oversold plans.
    fuse9 LLC
    -General Manager-
    www.fuse9.net

Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, Now offering VPS!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lowland
    ...if visitor number 2001 wants to view that picture, you will need to purchase additional bandwidth. Alternatively, your site will be redirected until you purchase additional bandwidth.
    Sounds like GD wasn't following their TOS - The section above says your site will be redirected UNTIL you purchase additional bandwidth.

If this is the only mention of how bandwidth is charged in the TOS, I wouldn't pay it based on that line.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sightz
    Sounds like GD wasn't following their TOS - The section above says your site will be redirected UNTIL you purchase additional bandwidth.

If this is the only mention of how bandwidth is charged in the TOS, I wouldn't pay it based on that line.
    Thanks sightz, you really helped me.

I asking for help, but someone didn't help with my matter, instead, they laugh me.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks sightz, you really helped me.

I asking for help, but someone didn't help with my matter, instead, they laugh me.
    I'm still voting for it being a mistake.

Have you checked your website's stats to see if you've really received that much traffic? (yourdomain.com/stats)
      0 Not allowed!

miakeru, thanks for your conciliative believe

But Godaddy doesn't offer Webalizer or Awstats, so there is no way to check bandwidth history.
      0 Not allowed!

GoDaddy is horrible in all services, and people need to realize that. Overage charges will kill you.
      0 Not allowed!

I am hosting with 6 hosting company, I pay like cheaper than $10 for each hosting package. I am a student, I can afford $60 for hosting per month, but $700 is an astronomical figure to me.

I will pay it if I know this will cost me this much. But they didn't inform me anything about this. Most company inform me when I reach 80% of bandwidth, then I can do something to avoid bandwidth problem. GoDaddy is doing very unfair to me.

Maybe those guys is right to laugh me, I wasn't pay too much aattention to the tricky TOS.
      0 Not allowed!

You said you have 5 GB storage in your first post, but how much bandwidth did you have?
      0 Not allowed!

if this is true, it's amazing!!! someone can use 250 GB of bandwidth on a $3.99 account without getting the boot for excessive CPU usage.
      0 Not allowed!

My hosting plan is 5GB space, 250Gb bandwidth

GoDaddy has a 50 concurrent connections limit, so it won't cause CPU overload.
      0 Not allowed!

Everybody is too obsessed with sueing everybody at the drop of a pin - that is just ridiculous nobody understands what the idea of sueing is.

Anyways back on topic today is a holiday so the chances are good that most of the good managers are off. I would say call up customer service/billing and try to get ahold of a manager if a regular person won't help. You probably are SOL but that would be your best bet.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service
      0 Not allowed!

You got ripped off yes, maybe time to switch hosts.

But then again you could look at it from the host's perspective, 160GB is a LOT of bandwidth.
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/
      0 Not allowed!

What were you hosting that used that much BW?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast