Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

House located next to noisy highway - losing mind!

I own two houses in the same neighborhood... I'm moving from this house I'm in right now (renting it out) and moving into the other house.

BUT the problem is that this other house is located right next to a major highway called I-95 (very busy and very loud 100% of the time, traffic NEVER eases). My house is about the 5th house from the highway so it's very close and you can constantly hear the cars when I'm inside the house. I'm only going to live in the hosue for a year but I can't concentrate or focus on my business from all the noise. I don't know if I'm going to be able to deal with that, starting to really doubt it.

I searched online and found www.soundproofwindows.com/index.html this looks really interesting. Has anyone ever used sound proof windows before? I'm wondering if I spend maybe $2500 or so to fix up the main windows if it would drown out the noise do you think? But I wonder if things like that really work...

they have those soundproof walls for recording studios. You can try that, but I think it's really expensive.

you'll get used to the noise

Oh gosh, noway. Not soundproof walls. Plus the noise isn't coming through the walls... it's coming through the windows and sliding class door. Basically two windows and one sliding class door.

The noise level isn't extreme but it's not tolerable to where it can be ignored... I know if those sound proof windows really work the noise level could be brought down to something bearable.

I'm the 5th house down from the highway, I wonder on how earth the people who are right smack next to it live. It amazes me, I think it would make me ill. I can't concentrate on business with noise, I need peace.

But I only have a budget of $2500 so unforunately I think I'm screwed

those soundproof windows are really good. i used to live in an apartment above a noisy street and they did a pretty good job of blocking the sound.
    Marion Morris
    Gravity Squared Media
    Design and Multimedia Solutions

I have to agree with Bully... You'll get used to it.

I used to live at the intersection of I-10 & I-95 (less than 100 feet away) for several years, and after a day or so, you dont even notice it. Even the collisions, and semis flipping (going 50 around the corner).

marijun,

So they do work you think... was it a really busy road you lived above? Because this highway is huge. I'm going to get an estimate from that company if they are able to do it in my state.

But I bet you it's going to be way too expensive :(
    Last edited by Frosty; 03-28-2005 at 10:24 PM.

MGCJerry,

I already lived in that house for a couple of months last year... the only way I was able to tolerate it was because I knew I'd be out of there real soon

Now I have to live there for a full year and starting my new business. I need to really be able to concentrate so now it's a different story... and when I was there I complained about the noise everyday to myself and could never get used to it that's why I moved to this house instead.

yeah it was a really busy street at all hours of the day. lots of bus traffic and garbage trucks too. at one point, there was sewer construction being done a block a way, and i could hardly even hear the jackhammers.

i live about 3 blocks away from a major interstate at the moment. i dunno what kind of windows we have, but you wouldn't even know there's an interstate there.

if its expensive, maybe you could just get the windows facing the interstate done first? i'm sure it would at least dull it down a bit.
    Marion Morris
    Gravity Squared Media
    Design and Multimedia Solutions

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. If I could just do the sliding glass door and two wndows it would be worth it because it's actually a very nice house, especially inside it's been all redone.

The house I'm in right now is the 8th house from the highway so I can hear the traffic in this house too a tiny bit... but it's not nearly as bad as the other house and very tolerable.

The other house is the 4th or 5th house from the highway... amazing what a big difference that extra few houses of distance makes.

The 95 is a mess. I'd stay away from it if I were you. I always see a huge semi forked, in a ditch, or in a most likely fatal collision with another semi or car. Of course, maybe that's just my luck playing in there, but who's to say?

Heavy window drapes will dampen the noise quite effectively. Just use a thick light colored fabric and make closely formed folds. Tall hedges and trees also filter and cut down noise to a large extent.

Or you could think of buying noise cancellation headphones...but you would look pretty stupid wearing them all the time. LOL

lol... nah I think I'll pass on that

I did go into the master bedroom and wonder on the heck I was ever able to sleep with all that noise in there coming through the sliding glass door. I need to sound proof the sliding glass door and two other windows then I'd be ok but I think the cost will be way too high, now I'm all depresssed. Need to get a free estimate...

I know how you feel, I live next to the M53 Motorway, which is also a busy motorway. Is double glazing not an option?
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Philipf,

From what I read on that website link I posted above double glassing doesn't really work. Or wait a second you said double glazing? Now I'm confused. Plus how do you double glass a sliding door... I bet you it can be done actually, have no clue.

but from what I've been reading double glassing doesn't work... you need that special glass.

How close do you live to the road and did you get used to the noise? I only have a coupe days to make up my mind about what I'm going to do...

We have double glazing and it works a treat, plus you can get double glazed doors etc...

This is one of the bigger companys in the UK offering double glazing, you can see what they do, and Im sure it says how much noise it cuts out too.... www.safestyle-windows.co.uk

I've lived by it my entire life, dont really notice it until someone crashes/dies.
    Last edited by Philipf; 03-28-2005 at 10:53 PM.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

I-95? Where in FL are you located?

How much would it cost to get the windows installed, and do you think it would block the noise?

I looked at a place in a similar situation, it probably depressed the price by about $30,000 (about 10% of the sale price).

Depending on the value of your home it might actually make your home worth MORE by installing the windows. But that's based on the price of replacing all the windows, AND probably how much your house is originally worth. It would definately have at least some value when you go to sell though.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I live in palm bch gardens in abacoa right next to I-95.

I can see the noise is definitely seeping through those 3 main windows. I wonder if I could double glaze the two smaller windows (sure it would be better than the single glass, errrrr, I hope) and make them not open and remain solid and then somehow replace that sliding glass door with some good stuff and it would make it tolerable. I hope... have to check the prices tomorrow.

try some thick curtains to see if maybe that could help drown out some of the sound.
    Kerry Jones

That would just make it very dark and that's not going to do much good to block this type of noise like that plus I hate curtains

Well, I guess my only suggestion left would be to move out into the country.
    Kerry Jones

Grrrrreat... now I have a whole new problem. I hear a rooster who won't stop crowing and I stepped in something a cow left behind

not if you purchase 3 acres surrounding your newly built house. My step grandpa built him a house and bought acres of land around the house. Its very quiet and nobody bothers you.
    Kerry Jones

... oh, so I guess the above would only happen when I sneak into your grandpa's yard to steal some strawberries :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast