Is domain expiry date imprtant for SEO?

I`m wondering if Google uses the expiry date of domains as one of the metrics of legitimacy for the site?

As I think nobody is sure about this that Google is checking domain expiry date. If you are planning to keeping the good domainname forever you should get it renew from a cheaper domain registrar which may offer discount.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

A bunch of TLDs do not publish expiration dates -- how could we compare domains with expiration dates to domains without that information? It seems that would be pretty hard, and likely not worth the trouble. Even when we do have that data, what would it tell us when comparing sites that are otherwise equivalent? A year (the minimum duration, as far as I know) is pretty long in internet-time :-).
    That is from a post by Google employee John Mueller.

I Google it again and find this:

Here's a link to the actual patent that Google filed regarding domain registration length...

Link to actual patent application:
    http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...OS=20050071741
    "[0099] Certain signals may be used to distinguish between illegitimate and legitimate domains. For example, domains can be renewed up to a period of 10 years. Valuable (legitimate) domains are often paid for several years in advance, while doorway (illegitimate) domains rarely are used for more than a year. Therefore, the date when a domain expires in the future can be used as a factor in predicting the legitimacy of a domain and, thus, the documents associated therewith. "

Quote Originally Posted by macadmia View Post
    I Google it again and find this:

Here's a link to the actual patent that Google filed regarding domain registration length...

Link to actual patent application:
    http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...OS=20050071741
    Patent was filed December 31, 2003. This quote from aforementioned Google employee :

A bunch of TLDs do not publish expiration dates -- how could we compare domains with expiration dates to domains without that information? It seems that would be pretty hard, and likely not worth the trouble. Even when we do have that data, what would it tell us when comparing sites that are otherwise equivalent? A year (the minimum duration, as far as I know) is pretty long in internet-time :-).
    was posted August 2009. Notice the difference ?

I believe that it is a factor, not a major one but is a factor that should not be ignored. Google HATES spam! Sites that are spam sites are less likely to purchase a domain name for a long period of time, I believe it is for this reason that long registrations are favored by Google.. It gives your site credibility and proves that you are planning to be around for the long haul.

No, there is no sense comparing expiry dates of domains with SEO. I mean they do calculate age of domains as SEO factors but nothing to do with expiry date..

If this is actually used in the algorithm it is a very minor issue and will likely have very little weight for ranking purposes. I have taken many sites to a number 1 ranking in Google that were all using a yearly registration.

Quote Originally Posted by alocalseo View Post
    If this is actually used in the algorithm it is a very minor issue and will likely have very little weight for ranking purposes. I have taken many sites to a number 1 ranking in Google that were all using a yearly registration.
    Even i have found this. I always register a domain for an year and after long work, around 5 to 6 months, i get some ranking. So there is no way that G will consider these factors for SERP's.