Arrow Multiple charges to credit cards - why? Warn: Paypal advocate inside.

Lately, I've seen several threads here at WHT about people getting charged on their credit card multiple times for the same month of service (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=145929 is an example).

This is PRECISELY why I choose Paypal as my credit card processor. I used 2checkout for a while, in addition to Paypal, but to be honest with you, 2co service is AWFUL. Ever try changing a credit card # with them? Ever try getting through to their support (ha) center? That doesn't happen with Paypal. My clients are billed reliably every month, ONE charge, for what THEY sign up for. Nothing more, nothing less. They know exactly how much they're being billed, and when the bill will be paid. They get monthly receipts for their purchases. If there's a problem, they call me, or Paypal - 1.888.221.1161 . I've seen other problems with other processors, similar to 2co ... from whats been reported here. Why bother?

Recently, I've had a few clients ask if I used a credit card processor other than 2co. To be honest, we've looked into it, but we can't justify the monthly fees associated with it. Paypal is MUCH cheaper for us, and we have immediate access to our account to pay server bills, maintenance costs, etc. The client is happy because they can depend on once a month billing (or once a year), and they know they'll only be billed once.. not multiple times. If they wish to cancel for any reason - it takes a couple of clicks, and it's done - by the client OR us. Once it's cancelled, it's cancelled, no further charges. Additionally, we NEVER see your credit card # and have no desire or need to see your CC #. We recently added Qchex to accept payment via personal/business checks online - that has worked out VERY well for us. Print a paper check, take it to the bank. Client gets a check back with their statement, everyone's happy.

I know there's gonna be people bashing me for this thread. I totally understand if you've "heard" of a complaint against Paypal. I know about the websites. I know everyone has a "friend" or a buddy's friend, that has heard that their cousins uncles brothers wife had some kind of issue. I've been a faithful Paypal user for several years, sometimes carry balances of $1k + in my Paypal account, have it linked to our bank accounts (which have significant funds) - and have NEVER, EVER had a problem with suspended accounts, frozen assets, or any of the other horror "stories" that abound the net.

For the sake of the customer, Paypal is my chosen method of payment - fast, reliable and safe.

So, the point of this post, is why is everyone SO afraid of Paypal? I know I've lost a couple of clients over them being my chosen payment method, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Joe
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

Paypal is fine to an extent. But when you start handling large volumes it is not flexible enough.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Paypal is also not available everywhere. I think PayPal is a great addition but it shouldn't be the only choice....

Exactly. if you plan to expand then get a merchant account (even a 3rd party one) and do it properly. Paypal should be a secondary option for those who wish to use it but not your main cc processor.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.