Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HostingCon 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Actually, no. It expands well beyond WHT membership.
    Well, he is partially correct.

How much does it cost to attend the convention? I heard it was alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aznboy4life View Post
    How much does it cost to attend the convention? I heard it was alot.
    http://www.hostingcon.com/account/register/

$79 - $729, depending on when and what you book. If you had registered just a few weeks ago, the cost for the full conference without lunch was $289 per person - a real steal.
    The world would be a better place if people drank better coffee.

Just a warning, Active Breakdown Lanes on the highway during the rush hour periods
    Brandon Long | https://brandonlong.me/
    Just a guy with a brain.

any chance we can get some more King rooms added to the group rate? I'm not sure if there ever were any, or if they're just out... but it is looking like the Hilton across the street for us unless they get some king rooms on the group rate - even as an SPG member, they're quoting me stupid money for a king room outside the group rate... kind of annoying really...

Quote Originally Posted by wyb View Post
    any chance we can get some more King rooms added to the group rate? I'm not sure if there ever were any, or if they're just out... but it is looking like the Hilton across the street for us unless they get some king rooms on the group rate - even as an SPG member, they're quoting me stupid money for a king room outside the group rate... kind of annoying really...
    Thanks for the heads up! We just added additional king rooms to the Sheraton this morning. Our room block is filling up fast so make sure you book soon. The group rate is available through June 25th (subject to availability).
    Last edited by rfarrell; 06-05-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    Rob Farrell :: Product Manager - Hosting & Cloud Vertical :: Penton
    Web Hosting Talk | WHIR | HostingCon

Talking

even as an SPG member, they're quoting me stupid money for a king room outside the group rate...
    You need a better travel agent / account-manager (or have acted much earlier)
    We got it booked direct at Ł9/night less than the group rate :-)
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    You need a better travel agent / account-manager (or have acted much earlier)
    We got it booked direct at Ł9/night less than the group rate :-)
    it might be that you booked earlier - or just a currency exchange difference for you based on you being in the UK I guess.

Honestly, we still might not go this year - we're expecting a grand-daughter two days AFTER hostingcon - if things go as planned, we'll be there - if not, we'll sacrifice the money spent and the one night booking already taken as a deposit on the hotel... it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago we knew the scheduled c-section date, so it was possible we'd have let the whole thing go this year.... in the overall scheme of things - hostingcon, is NOT that important... Parallels Summit is probably more important to us than hostingcon these days, but we do enjoy the break and boozing... and Boston is fun.

We were there in February doing some pre-hostingcon checking out of the city, and we had a ball... great city to drink and have fun... we loved the union colony oyster house for beer and dinner - the bell in hand tavern right next to it was fun.. and those two are the oldest standing bar/restaurants in the states - they're a *little* touristy - but fun.

Now obviously as pubs go - the US pubs aren't *that* old - the Prospect of Whitby in Wapping used to be just down the road from where I lived in E14..

Quote Originally Posted by jeff@lfcvps View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

I mostly just want to visit Boston as I'm a big This Old House fan
    Awesome show! I am on Cape Cod so I will be attending for at least one day.
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Do HostingCon have conference over the internet for people in other country than USA?
    MultipleCloud - Multiple location hosting provider
    200+ worldwide location | different server | different ip owner | best for pbn
    BigfootComputing - Dedicated A/B/C class ip
    100% no bad neighborhood | private name servers

Quote Originally Posted by multiplecloud-zid View Post
    Do HostingCon have conference over the internet for people in other country than USA?
    Thanks to people like the Wright Brothers we have this new thing called air-travel now :-)
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Thanks to people like the Wright Brothers we have this new thing called air-travel now :-)
    Flights might be cheap but throw in accommodation and you'll soon know it. We're talking atleast $2000 per person from mainland Europe.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

Quote Originally Posted by network82 View Post
    Flights might be cheap but throw in accommodation and you'll soon know it. We're talking atleast $2000 per person from mainland Europe.
    it will be the best $2k you invest in your business this year.

it will be the best $2k you invest in your business this year.
    Ha! Don't be daft, it's a great event and I've been a few times but it's basically a working holiday, you'll mingle, make a few contacts, maybe get a few discounts, you'll certainly find out what the exhibitors are up to, but other than that it's no real benefit unless your a large host or exhibitor willing to spend some cash... One thing I will say though, the after show party is always a cracking laugh.

if you can't find $2k of value in attending hostingcon, that's your issue... we're nowhere near a "large host" - and it is my opinion that there is more to be gained by small hosts - you can actually get to meet the people you do business with (suppliers) and all in one place - negotiate face to face is better than via email. We've met two data-centers we chose to place servers with at hostingcon... your mileage obviously varies I am guessing... if they have a UK one, I'll likely attend that also... oh well...

But I do take your point about it being to SOME degree a working holiday - I always look forward to the parties, the drinking - and often visiting a city I haven't spent a lot of time in - but last year being San Diego, we go there every year at least once - and this year being Boston - we were there for my wife's birthday - but having only been there for 1 long weekend, we'll not exactly see much more of Boston itself... other than the hotel, the conference center and the nearby bars...

if you can't find $2k of value in attending hostingcon, that's your issue... we're nowhere near a "large host" - and it is my opinion that there is more to be gained by small hosts - you can actually get to meet the people you do business with (suppliers) and all in one place - negotiate face to face is better than via email. We've met two data-centers we chose to place servers with at hostingcon... your mileage obviously varies I am guessing... if they have a UK one, I'll likely attend that also... oh well...

But I do take your point about it being to SOME degree a working holiday - I always look forward to the parties, the drinking - and often visiting a city I haven't spent a lot of time in - but last year being San Diego, we go there every year at least once - and this year being Boston - we were there for my wife's birthday - but having only been there for 1 long weekend, we'll not exactly see much more of Boston itself... other than the hotel, the conference center and the nearby bars...
    Like I said, I've been a few times, some where I've attended as part of another company - and exhibited, and some where I've since gone under my own company. Most SMB hosts don't go, probably for financial reasons, to which I would say they won't get any substantial gain if they did go, other than have a good laugh and chat with some well connected people.. So unless being connected is integral, there's no reason to attend.

Same goes with the Parallels Summet, and WHD, all of which I've attended..

Although, CloudExpo seems to be where it's at of late... Allot of innovation being shown off there..

Aah that's nothing.

Because the conference is held in July this year the flights alone from Australia are about $4,000 (in economy). I don't usually fly economy, but even premium economy is $7.5k. If it was held in August instead the flights would be half that.

It's a pity, as this would have been four years in a row. I unfortunately cannot justify that much for flights for a three day conference.

So I hope you all enjoy it. I hope to be able to attend next year, but fortunately I have a HostingCon Australia one day conference to attend next week
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

I will be attending the booths/tradeshow part. I am a non drinker But I can for sure see why people would look forward to that. I do believe in parties, just getting too old.

I am hoping to get some deals on something and maybe some way cool swag. I am a small 30 site hoping for 50 host, but I do love it. So I may actually be the smallest host there. I am thinking of staying at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Once of the nicest in the city I think. It is a 1.45 hour drive for me, no planes, which is nice!
    CapeWP.com

Just to confirm, exhibits are only the last 2 days - Jul 17 and 18, correct?
    Hockey is Life

Quote Originally Posted by mrl14 View Post
    Just to confirm, exhibits are only the last 2 days - Jul 17 and 18, correct?
    Correct.

Although, CloudExpo seems to be where it's at of late... Allot of innovation being shown off there..
    My VP went to CloudExpo, he was genuinely disappointed and ended up leaving early. It wasn't a good fit for us, aside from some folks in the hosting industry who we already knew.

if you can't find $2k of value in attending hostingcon, that's your issue... we're nowhere near a "large host" - and it is my opinion that there is more to be gained by small hosts - you can actually get to meet the people you do business with (suppliers) and all in one place
    Another benefit is that many of the sessions are actually quite good. For us, it's about learning about the new technologies and trends, and seeing what we can use to improve our business. You get all this education on very focused topics, compressed into 3 days, which is difficult to find elsewhere.

I am looking forward to meeting all my vendors. I am a very small host but sure do want to meet the cPanel folks! I wish ServInt would be there!

I am normally pretty boring and this for me is some serious excitement
    CapeWP.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    I am hoping to get some deals on something and maybe some way cool swag. I am a small 30 site hoping for 50 host, but I do love it. So I may actually be the smallest host there. I am thinking of staying at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Once of the nicest in the city I think. It is a 1.45 hour drive for me, no planes, which is nice!
    We were all 30-client hosts once.

I agree that small hosts probably have the most to gain here. Boston's barely a day's drive for me, so I see this as more of a "vacation with benefits". I'm really hoping the swag is up to par. A lifetime unbranded WHMCS installation would be nice ... but I'll also take ClientExec or Hostbill!
    The world would be a better place if people drank better coffee.

Ah, floor9, we think alike! I even reserved space here: http://www.mandarinoriental.com/boston/

A true 5 star hotel. I will use the gym and sauna/steam. Walk to the show!

WHMCS lifetime and ten or twenty 8GB usb drives would be a good... start! And of course a free year from my favorite, ServInt
    CapeWP.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast