Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diablo 3

Diablo 3

Anyone else excited for the release of Diablo 3 (on May 15th)

I played in the Beta and its a pretty awesome game.

There is a walkthrough here:
    Diablo 3 Walkthrough

for those who didnt try it in the Beta and want to know what its like.

While it's not as groundbreaking as Diablo 1 and 2, it is still a very cool game. Only thing is that you have to be constantly connected to the internet, even if you are playing single player

I played it in beta and had ridiculous amounts of fun. Other than the fact that I'll be touring the Aussie outback with a spotty 3G connection (and thus almost completely unable to enjoy the single player campaign) I'd have preordered it by now.

My friend has mandated that I will be available for Diablo 3 at all times.

Wow, I used to play Diablo 2 like 10+ years ago, can't believe they're coming out with a Diablo 3.
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    Wow, I used to play Diablo 2 like 10+ years ago, can't believe they're coming out with a Diablo 3.
    I remember buying Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 with my allowance way back in the day! I'm so nervous about Diablo 3 that it's not going to hold up to my own expectations of what I want the game to be like. The reviews have been positive which is encouraging. We shall see I guess... and I hope someone puts out a patch/crack to allow offline play because that is BS.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I remember buying Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 with my allowance way back in the day! I'm so nervous about Diablo 3 that it's not going to hold up to my own expectations of what I want the game to be like. The reviews have been positive which is encouraging. We shall see I guess... and I hope someone puts out a patch/crack to allow offline play because that is BS.
    How many years has it been since D2 was released and they came out with D3? I feel like it's been 15-20 years? I'm surprised Blizzard is doing this...Must be some high demand for the game still. I probably will not purchase though.
    Doug

And they were developing it (D3) since that time. I don't know what took them so much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniruddh View Post
    And they were developing it (D3) since that time. I don't know what took them so much time.
    Haha, then this better be the best thing ever made if it took them 10+ years to create a third version. My guess would be they lost a lead programmer, story-writer, or something to that effect and it took them 3-4 years to find suitable replacement.
    Doug

Played the open beta last weekend
    It was delicious
    Have had my collectors edition pre-ordered for a few months now
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I was shocked when I heard the news. I may have to give it a go. I wonder if it will work on WINE though.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

I wouldn't hope for WINE compatability, though it might be nice

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    I wouldn't hope for WINE compatability, though it might be nice
    I can still hope, Ever since I threw Windows out the door, I miss some of the games
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

How many years has it been since D2 was released and they came out with D3? I feel like it's been 15-20 years? I'm surprised Blizzard is doing this...Must be some high demand for the game still. I probably will not purchase though.
    Diablo - 1996
    Diablo II - 2000
    Diablo II Expansion - 2001
    Diablo III - 2012

They had a high demand from people (like me) who still played the game years and years after it was created. They kept patching the game and adding more stuff, I didn't stop playing Diablo II until 2010 myself.

I think Diablo just might be a game that cannot die.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyAnonymous View Post
    Diablo - 1996
    Diablo II - 2000
    Diablo II Expansion - 2001
    Diablo III - 2012

They had a high demand from people (like me) who still played the game years and years after it was created. They kept patching the game and adding more stuff, I didn't stop playing Diablo II until 2010 myself.

Wow, 12 years since II and 11 since II exp, that's insane for a game title to live.
    Doug

I dunno
    I know plenty of old school (D1, D2) players that refuse to pick it up, because they're forcing online on everyone now. This will most likely be it.

I dunno
    I know plenty of old school (D1, D2) players that refuse to pick it up, because they're forcing online on everyone now. This will most likely be it.
    I can't imagine who could even like offline play. The game is almost meaningless/not nearly as fun.

Well, they do raise some valid points.
    Basically, by purchasing this game, we're at Blizzard/Activision's whim. Activision hasn't really had the best history in supporting it's customers, just check out their DMCA claims.

So, basically, if battlenet ever dies (and nothing is alive forever), you're screwed with D3. Before you say "they won't do that", look at one of the major game developers today, EA. They HAVE done just that a few times, and people that picked up games affected were basically just left hanging.

To add to that, sometimes you just wanna play offline. Not everyone has a massive internet connection, not everyone can afford it, not every city/town has it, not every location can get it. I know people who've been waiting for years for AT&T to turn on DSL to their neighborhood (their only chance at HS internet). The pipe is already there, but AT&T won't do it.

Believe it or not, not everyone lives online!

decade later.. we have v3 woot!

Well, they do raise some valid points.
    Basically, by purchasing this game, we're at Blizzard/Activision's whim. Activision hasn't really had the best history in supporting it's customers, just check out their DMCA claims.

So, basically, if battlenet ever dies (and nothing is alive forever), you're screwed with D3. Before you say "they won't do that", look at one of the major game developers today, EA. They HAVE done just that a few times, and people that picked up games affected were basically just left hanging.
    While there are legitimate gripes to be had with the online-only DRM thing, you're so completely and utterly clueless with these two paragraphs...

Blizzard have a great reputation for supporting their obsolete games. I dug out my old WC3 CD that was scratched to hell, put the CD-key into my B.net account and wham (seriously, that's the noise I made slamming the CD case down on the table in triumph) I started a download of a NO-CD cracked version of WC3, officially supported by Blizzard.

This works with almost all of their old games, to my knowledge, including Starcraft: Brood War. Because Brood War never had a unique CD key, they err on the side of generousity and give everyone who owned SC a copy of BW as well.

Taking that into account (the fact that on games they're really not selling in huge numbers, they'll wilfully disarm the DRM) gives me the utmost confidence that they'll do the same thing with D3 when the time comes to close down the servers.

Sure Activision may have a reputation as a money-grubbing-****-heap of a company now, but Blizzard have a great reputation for supporting their outdated games and I'd really like to hear your experience for thinking otherwise.

Oh and I'd also like to point out that most of their games are still supported on Battle.net a solid decade after they were released.

Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    . . . Other than the fact that I'll be touring the Aussie outback with a spotty 3G connection . . .
    If you're in my neck of the woods, Toowoomba, sing out, if you survive the "Aussie outback".
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I can't imagine who could even like offline play. The game is almost meaningless/not nearly as fun.
    I always play against a human. No point playing against AI.

I enjoy both on-line and off-line. Off-line is fun in a completely different way. Sometimes it is just fun walking around with random gears that wouldn't otherwise be proper or viable when you have other people around.

Pre-ordered online.. just got to wait for the servers to come up to install, good to go. Work early morning Tuesday and game comes up at 2AM so will have to wait until the next night but, oh boy!!!!
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

Battle.net won't go down aslong as blizzard is around.. and I can't see them dying anytime soon.. I mean it's been around for like 14 years now or so? It's also supplemented by pay to play games, so the chances of it going down is a lot less compared to things like origin, steam, etc.. which are just strictly content delivery and authentication where cashflow is based on sales than monthly usage.

Battle.net's biggest issue is just the performance.. I always had rage issues back in starcraft/diablo2 days.. dropped connections, lag, etc.
    I specialize in neck beards
    https://thatshirt.com

Quote Originally Posted by mg- View Post
    Battle.net won't go down aslong as blizzard is around..
    People say that about plenty of services, yet, when times are tough, the first thing to go is the free services. I have no doubt that they'll keep it up for a while, maybe another 10 years, but the point to the whole thing is what if they decide it's not paying them enough? Believe it or not, major companies have cut services like this many times in the past. Again, I point to EA, one of the largest game manufacturers in the country, with hundreds of titles. These people are making a TON more than Blizzard could imagine, yet they do this all the time. The people who bought their games? Well, they're just SOL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast