LIMITED OFFER :: Full 47U Rack + 10mbps BGP-4 Transit + /26 Routed IP

To celebrate the start of summer and the 2004 Internet World event we're offering this very special rackspace deal for a limited time only.

For only £1499 per month with a reduced £499 setup fee we are offering the following:

- Full 47U Lockable Knurr Rack (975mm Deep)
    - Unattended 24*7 Access via PacTag
    - 8Amps Power
    - 10mbps BGP-4 Global Routed Transit
    - Your own /26 VLAN (64 IP Addresses)
    - 99.99% SLA on IP Transit

Small Print:

Minimum contract period 12months
    Upgrades possible part way through if required.
    Guaranteed no price increases.
    All calculations using the industry accepted 95th percentile method
    MRTG graphs available online, updated every 15 minutes.

Feel free to email us on sales[at]4dhosting.com or call on +442088352063 if you have any questions.
    David Barker
    4D Data Centres - Independent UK based data centre operator http://www.4d-dc.com

There are a couple of other people who have posted full rack deals similar to yours, but at about half the price...

I understand not everyone is going to have the same prices, but to be double the cost of your competitors, is there something I'm missing about their or your offerings?

Also do you have a test IP to ping (where the server would actually be).

We have fully redundant routers and hot-standby switches on our core network - So when we say we won't leave you with downtime we actually mean it.

We are also charging sustainable pricing and have factored in the costs of staff, redundant hardware, smartnet cover, etc. Which basically means we'll still be in business in 2 years time.

The rack that I've spec'd out above will come with a Cisco 2950-24 switch already installed and configured in the rack as well as an APC 9212 Masterswitch unit.

Our new IP range won't be online until next Monday but an IP on our old range that you can test is '80.82.139.196'.
    David Barker
    4D Data Centres - Independent UK based data centre operator http://www.4d-dc.com

Is it physical router belong to othelloss or 4D?
    What is your AS number
    Or what type of router do you use?

We use Zebra routers - They are ours and we also have more than one incase of a failure

Our AS# is 31463. We're just waiting on the container to be updated with the new transit providers before putting the network live next week.
    David Barker

JP, there are a number of reasons why pricing can differ greatly.

It's always worth trying to look beyond the "marketing" speak to determine what you're getting.

Cheaper pricing could be an indication of cutting corners, higher pricing could be an indication of more money invested in the service provided, remember to ask probing questions, offline if necessary.

I'll make some general points not relating to any one particular provider.

A provider may boast a redundant BGP multi-homed network with many peerings but they may not (for instance) carry any spare infrastructure kit or maintenance contract (this was demonstrated recently by one provider - 48hr outage).

If a provider talks about having multiple quality upstream providers, do they actually route most of the traffic via those providers, or their cheapest tier-2 transit supplier? http://www.traceroute.org/ is a useful tool for checking.

A provider may be selling at, or below cost, to gain market share (having done the maths on some WHT offers, it just doesn't add up).

I've heard of some providers offering initial signup pricing, and then implementing monthly increases, worth checking to make sure how long the pricing is fixed for. Also check the pricing for any additional service upgrades - you could be stung later.
    Paul Civati
    Rack Sense Ltd UK Managed Services Provider
    Views expressed are my own and not those of the company.