mchost / www-hosting.net

Hi I'm trying to decide between these venders...

hope I've got this right....

www-hosting.net gives almost double the bandwidth that mchost does.... but to resell, you have to buy additional accounts, with mchost you can subdivide your account resources... one of the sites I'll be setting up will be for a video company so naturally there will be sample video files of their work... The reality is I have no idea how much bandwidth will be really used heck I might not even break a gig or I might top 30 or more...

IF I get 2 accounts at hosting.net for around $39 I'll have 1.6gig space and 50 gig bandwidth contrasted with 1 gig space and 12 gigs bandwidth for $35 for one account at mchost...

however the clause below from www-hosting.net concerned me where they will automatically hit you with charges for having a high resource site.... If "lots" of people click on video files would this be high resource?

with mchost I could be placed on a slower server for the option of adult hosting but I still dont know the specs of any of the servers...
    however this could be a plus since I wouldnt have to turn anyone away.

thx all
    daniel

High Resource Policy
    Any site that is deemed as impairing the performance of our servers either by high disk utilization, high bandwidth usage, or high CPU usage will be entered into our "High Resource Customer" program. High Resource sites are sites that use an excessive amount of system resources such as bandwidth, storage or CPU utilization. It is Web Hosting Networks' sole digression to decide which sites are "High Resource" sites.

Sites who have been deemed as a "High Resource" site will be subject to the following:
    Web Hosting Network will charge your credit card on file $250.00 as a security deposit per occurrence of our HRP or violation of any of our rules. If within 30 days the abuse in question has been deemed fixed, then we will issue a refund to the credit card the total amount of the security deposit.

A $300 per month fee will be added to the user's current monthly fee if the problem is not fixed within the set amount of days outlined in the Notice sent to the client by either fax, mail, or email

That resource thing doesnt sound too good, i would avoid them if i was you. If you host a lot of sites you are likely at one point to have one that uses up too much resources.

I think the resources part usually applies to high CPU usage like UBB and YaBB and any other scripts that are CPU intensive. I dont think bandwidth would be included since you would pay for a set ammount of transfer each month.

What you may want to do is ask the www-hosting.net the actual server percentage of resources. If there are 100 sites on the server, you would basically get 1% of the resources, or upto 20%. That is just an example, but they could tell you more about that.

The penalty is very intense, and I would make sure you have some sort of deal worked out with www-hosting.net before you sign a contract.

Good Luck.

Jim
    Old School WHT'er
    Hosting Since 1999

go with MCHost, I have been with them for a while now and they are the best host I have ever had.

i have been with whn for a while and have nothing but great things to say about them. about the high resource i do not know awhile ago they came to me because one of my sites was using excessive mysql usage and was casuing server to crash and said that they were going to move me to a different server with more ram and cpu on it and less sites because of this. didnt charge me or anything. support is great also =)

id go with them

Just to clarify for everyone

Our HRP (High Resource Policy) has been in effect since our inception (96-97) and has never been used or applied to any customers that we have hosted, even to this day.

The HRP was enacted when we ran the Cobalt RaQ servers, which everyone knows (even to this day) that if you had even 1 cpu intense cgi script, or even maxxed the server to 250 accounts on a RaQ 3i, the server would constantly crash, on top of that you had no real way of tracking bandwidth usage per site unless you found an off the wall or custom in house made script. Unlike the servers we have today which automatically notify us if a site has reached 80% of its bandwidth and when it hits 100%, it suspends the account until a admin can intervene.

As Marc said, his site clearly was deemed a HRP site, rather then terminating his account like other hosts would do, we found a server that would be able to sustain his usage and simply moved his account from one server to another, case closed.

We will be doing a full TOS makeover in the coming days or weeks to better clarify the HRP and other somewhat outdated rules.

We are as you can see from current and past customers a very professional and easy going company to deal with when it comes to managing our customers and network.

Regards

Couple of pieces of advice that should see you ok...

Get an accurate idea of what your clients needs might be and then research what implications those needs might have on your system/resources usage.

Whoever you choose, get the contract terms laid out in writing so that you know exactly what you're dealing with... Oh and have a backup plan if it all turns sour.

If you are well prepared for best and worst case scenarios then you can't really go wrong unless promises were made that can't be upheld...

Good luck.

Angry www-hosting.net is bad

www-hosting.net have very bad uptime.
    I escaped from him in first month.

Re: www-hosting.net is bad

Originally posted by rusla
    www-hosting.net have very bad uptime.
    I escaped from him in first month.
    Suggest anyone reading this particular comment check... http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=29298

Personally I'd recommend MCHost as I've used them for months but couldn't really let dirt digging like this, just to malign www-hosting.net, go unchecked.

Just thought I'd put that in context.

Edited... Turns out he's selling a SPAM software product so my earlier belief that he was using an anonymous remailer was incorrect... Apologies for incorrect info'.
    Last edited by WebSnail.net; 12-18-2001 at 12:36 PM.

Good job, Rusla, You're definitely helping your credibility!
    ---

I've been a customer of WHN for a couple months and have only had a problem with uptime once, and that was only because the NOC wouldn't reboot the server because the tech on duty didn't have authorization at the time. I havn't noticed downtime any other time.

Re: mchost / www-hosting.net

Originally posted by clearstr

however the clause below from www-hosting.net concerned me where they will automatically hit you with charges for having a high resource site.... If "lots" of people click on video files would this be high resource?

High Resource Policy
    Any site that is deemed as impairing the performance of our servers either by high disk utilization, high bandwidth usage, or high CPU usage will be entered into our "High Resource Customer" program. High Resource sites are sites that use an excessive amount of system resources such as bandwidth, storage or CPU utilization. It is Web Hosting Networks' sole digression to decide which sites are "High Resource" sites.

Sites who have been deemed as a "High Resource" site will be subject to the following:
    Web Hosting Network will charge your credit card on file $250.00 as a security deposit per occurrence of our HRP or violation of any of our rules. If within 30 days the abuse in question has been deemed fixed, then we will issue a refund to the credit card the total amount of the security deposit.

A $300 per month fee will be added to the user's current monthly fee if the problem is not fixed within the set amount of days outlined in the Notice sent to the client by either fax, mail, or email
    Hi, I just wanted to update you and finally let you know we have redone our Terms of Service (after 4'ish years) and remove alot of information including the High Resource Policies with exception to some basic wording