Question Your experience with OpenQRM in production environments

Hello WHT users,

I've recently tried OpenQRM in a test environment (KVM and OpenVZ, only local storage setup tough) and it looks very promising. Do you have experience with it in larger/live environments and maybe their billing module? If yes, how does your setup look like and is it stable?

looks very interesting. I think I would probably go with the enterpise offering if I was providing this as a service to customers

http://www.openqrm-enterprise.com/

Also has VMware support
    www.VMhosts.co.uk - "Cloud hosting within reach"
    UK VMware Cloud IaaS, 24x7x365 Support, Evault Cloud Backup & DRaaS
    sales@vmhosts.co.uk 020 3397 1233

Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning to do. But it would be good to hear about experiences first, from people who already have been using OpenQRM to provide hosting solutions. For me the most exiting part about it is, that it supports so many virtualization types and that you can build a complete vDC with it. And not to forget that it automaticly load balances VMs over several nodes and shuts down/powers on nodes that are not needed/needed. Interesting for me is what storage kind one should use in a production environment, like NFS, LVM-NFS, AOE, or local storage and so on. And of course it's stability and it's liability when being used for a large cloud.
    Last edited by Infinitnet; 12-13-2011 at 02:06 PM.

No real world experience of this product but we have investigated a lot of them out there, especially around VMware support.

The shutdown option is interesting (VMware do this with DPM and DRS) but I am yet to come across a DC that will charge you for power utilisation over 24 hours. It is usually fixed for the month so it wouldn’t save you money, but you would be saving the world a little bit.

I am tempted to get a trial of this but this still wont give you the answer you need short term. Fingers crossed someone else on here will be able to help.
    Have you contacted the vendor to see if they have any case studies?
    www.VMhosts.co.uk - "Cloud hosting within reach"
    UK VMware Cloud IaaS, 24x7x365 Support, Evault Cloud Backup & DRaaS
    sales@vmhosts.co.uk 020 3397 1233

Well, even if the shutdown option wouldn't save money, one could advertise with "green hosting", what would be another plus for PR and image.

I haven't contacted them yet, but I think I'm gonna do that soon, since it doesn't seem anyone has more than testing experience with it. On Google I've also only found people who tried it and were like "wow", but no real case studies. There was cover article about it in a german Linux mag 2 months ago, but they also didn't do more than a small test setup with NFS and VMware. Would be much appreciated, if you can post a review, after you've tested the trial. It's not that urgent, at the time I'm only working as service provider, a hosting company is planned in ~4 months, so there is enough time.