Good hosts for streaming

I need to rent some servers for a project involving streaming. I'm looking for datacenters that are specialized in streaming, or, at least, can provide the necessary sustainable bandwidth a streaming server needs. Also, if they can provide a burstable bandwidth, will be even better. And I prefer to pay per GB, not mbps. I'm not looking for cdns, they are too expensive for this project.

Do you have a preference as to the location of the server?
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

What kind of bandwidth do you need? If you knew how many Gb/mo per server and if possible the maximum Mbps you'd be bursting to on each box, that would help. Lots of hosts can meet basic requirements, but not as many can grow with you when you start needing custom plans.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Servers: US (and Europe only for real international bandwidth) Servers: 2-5 Burst: 300-1Gbps Bandwidth: 15-25TB

Just about any large host should be able to help you there, because it is streaming make sure the network is strong. Likely you will have to contact the companies directly to work out that kind of connection unmetered. If you know that it will be around 25tb for sure you could get a 1gbps port (pricey upgrade) and most companies offer plans for that. Softlayer has a pretty good network, may want to check them out. Peer1 also has a good network but they cost more, Steadfast, GNAX, Fast-Serv does streaming, as you can see and have a strong network as well. There are plenty more but most you will have to contact directly to get pricing or details with that kind of connection.

It sounds like you want a CDN but just don't want to pay for one. There are cheap ones and expensive ones, just like regular hosting. The performance difference with a CDN is dramatic.

For instance, i've seen a customer serve content at a 10 Gbps burst for two hours without significant performance impact. I guess this all depends on how much streaming you're actually wanting to achieve.

You might want to look at WCIX.net , they are very experienced in the Streaming media market and can provide you what you need.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    It sounds like you want a CDN but just don't want to pay for one. There are cheap ones and expensive ones, just like regular hosting. The performance difference with a CDN is dramatic.

For instance, i've seen a customer serve content at a 10 Gbps burst for two hours without significant performance impact. I guess this all depends on how much streaming you're actually wanting to achieve.
    For 20TB bandwidth, I'll have to pay over 20k$ to a cheap cdn. For that price, I could buy bandwidth and use only 5% of total transit. Softlayer might be a choice, but I don't think their bandwidth is that stable to sustain my needs. For download they might be good, but for streaming I'm not comfortable with.

Heh, 20k$ for a cheap one? You can get 20TB at Akamai for less than that, depending whether you contract or not.
    Anyway, plenty of CDNs can get you good pricing for 20TB, since it is quite a bit of bandwidth, it won't be easy getting the same stability on regular servers without paying a hefty premium, but you might be able to go a bit cheaper than a CDN, given you find the right companies that can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Heh, 20k$ for a cheap one? You can get 20TB at Akamai for less than that, depending whether you contract or not.
    Anyway, plenty of CDNs can get you good pricing for 20TB, since it is quite a bit of bandwidth, it won't be easy getting the same stability on regular servers without paying a hefty premium, but you might be able to go a bit cheaper than a CDN, given you find the right companies that can help you.
    Akamai is actually more expensive than that. I'm talking flash streaming.

Flash streaming costs have come WAY down. There are many CDN's that would handle 25TB for under .50 per GB.