Another host to Avoid : Gearserve

I ordered a Gearserve.net shared hosting account about 3 months ago. Their hosting offer was so lucrative ( 10 GB space & 1 TB bandwidth for only $2 per month ) that I ordered another account one month later. Before ordering any account I thoroughly went through their Terms & Conditions. My websites had static html pages and video files for direct download (not streaming). All these files were uploaded by me, no public uploading. Few days earlier they suspended my 2nd account saying that 'File hosting not allowed'. I clearly remembered that they did not have this sentence on their terms & conditions. I visited their terms page again and surprisingly found that they had added this sentence 'Hosting account's cannot be used for backup of data or for file hosting purposes.' after purchasing my accounts. Another surprising fact was that they did it around October 21 because the Google cache on November 18 still shows the old TOS which does have that sentence:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&hl=en&ct=clnk

Today they suspended my first account without any notice. So, before signing up the TOS was different and long after signing up the TOS is different. They suspended the account with new TOS and refused to refund the money.

My advice to you guys: please avoid this host and other cheap hosts because you get what you pay for.

Wow, that terms of service is so badly written.... Oh well, live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronok View Post
    because you get what you pay for.
    yes indeed.

So do you find it realistic to pay $2 for 1TB bandwidth?
    Get real guys! You get what you pay for.

An interesting clause in their terms:

"GearServe has the right to update its Terms and Conditions with or without informing its clients and users"

I'm no lawyer, but somehow that does not seem legit.

They just want you to show there quality and nothing ...They are not customer oriented .At least ,they should ask before suspending ... Thanks for test them..
    Last edited by MNCHOST - Chris; 11-28-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Fastest . Reliable . Affordable Web Hosting by MNCHOST.COM

█ Shared | Business | Reseller : 1.Litespeed 2.Cpanel 3.Pure SSDs 4.US Support 5.Hourly Backups
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers | Premium Bandwidth | New SSD-US Servers

Quote Originally Posted by Ronok View Post
    Today they suspended my first account without any notice. So, before signing up the TOS was different and long after signing up the TOS is different. They suspended the account with new TOS and refused to refund the money.

My advice to you guys: please avoid this host and other cheap hosts because you get what you pay for.
    Most hosts have a clause that they can change the terms of the hosting agreement; there's a valid reason, because the host has to react quickly to new threats. But most of the *good* hosts will send out a newsletter or email when they change their TOS.

Unlimited hosts work well only for those sites that don't need unlimited. If you need a lot of disk space and bandwidth, you have to pay for it.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by cycomholdings View Post
    So do you find it realistic to pay $2 for 1TB bandwidth?
    Get real guys! You get what you pay for.
    I was inspired by their offer at WHT: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1073429

But I should have read this thread earlier: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1079045

However, I think there should be some strict restriction on hosting providers while posting offers in WHT Offer section. Both good and bad hosts post offers and rip people. It is really difficult to find out which ones are of good quality and abide by their own TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFeed View Post

"GearServe has the right to update its Terms and Conditions with or without informing its clients and users"

No more legit than a number of other places that use the more subtle wording of "may change without notice".
    IonVz - Nginx/FreeBSD/VPS Consulting | VPSNodeBox - Managed Support Representative

Is the 1TB offer even realistic with their revised terms? I mean if you just had a basic static website and you managed to do close to 1TB of traffic from just that they'd probably shut you down for overloading their network.
    IonVz - Nginx/FreeBSD/VPS Consulting | VPSNodeBox - Managed Support Representative

I've heard from somebody that use to work for UptimeVPS that this is another scam of his.

Angry

I hate hosts that suspend accounts

Quote Originally Posted by hillsglobal View Post
    I hate hosts that suspend accounts
    You mean all of them? Y'Know, some just terminate these days.

That TOS is so bad written and the design of the website is not inspiring trust. I don't get it how you could even send personal details to such hosting

Quote Originally Posted by demlasjr View Post
    That TOS is so bad written and the design of the website is not inspiring trust. I don't get it how you could even send personal details to such hosting
    Some people will do anything for cheap/free. IT's the internet, anything is possible.

You'll actually find that type of wording in just about every TOS out there (not just for web hosting).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Are you kidding me? Changing their TOS without informing their clients and users? In that case, if the customers might not be aware of the new rules or policies, there are possibilities that their accounts might got into trouble. Most of the online businesses are going to update their customers through broadcast emails about the change of TOS, so I think GearServe should do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by benjohnsonfs View Post
    Are you kidding me? Changing their TOS without informing their clients and users?
    As I stated earlier, it more common than you think. Just read some of the agreements you have signed in the past (example, your credit card policies will say the same). I've always interpreted it as its your responsibility to keep up with the terms/conditions the company has set forth, while also giving the company the freedom to make minor adjustments to the TOS without sending out a mass newsletter. End of the day, the TOS is just there to set rules and guidelines, just because you hit the I agree button, does not necessarily mean the company is free to put what ever they want in their. Just because a company puts something in their TOS and you hit the I agree button, does not make it legally binding.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

As said, you get what you pay for.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

And their ToS is useless, they don't have a clue.

$2.00 USD Monthly
    $6.00 USD Quarterly
    $12.00 USD Semi-Annually
    $20.00 USD Annually
    $40.00 USD Biennially
    $60.00 USD Triennially

Do they not understand incentive?

Personally I'd never go with a company using the default WHMCS template, reminds me of datashack.
    Last edited by iexo; 11-29-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Unlimited hosts work well only for those sites that don't need unlimited.
    Well said. Love it.

I did a flash and dash when I looked at their site. No contact page except for the client area or offline chat, the CEO is a Ken and their Whois says they're in Bangalore.

I think you're biting your ownself on the butt when you trust a host like that one.

Always do you homework before you sign with a host.