Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am leaving a DreamHost nightmare..

Hello all, new to this forum, old to forums generally and blogs

I need your advice.

I have a shared hosting plan in Dreamhost since 2 months (prepaid one year services with a promo last April).

Recently i decided to run 2 sites with Pligg. (name of the sites availabla to who want to learn).

For start Dreamhost promised one click install but there were problems with one click and I had to install Pligg manually.

My sites run for 10 days now and I have a lot of problems with the server connection and when they are up, the sites are very slow.

In these 10 days i have already contacted the support 6 times! They have responded to every email saying "we are sorry, the servers were loaded, fixed" or "there was an abusive user in the server" etc.

They are very gentle but i don't really care because my sites are down and when i try to connect and refresh them, in most cases they are either too slow, or down. When i mean slow it takes 40 seconds or more to connect.

My 2 sites (startups) are going really bad because no user is waiting for 40 seconds to see a site or comes back if the site down. Last Friday I was in an advertising office to promote them and when i said the manager to see the site, he replied "site is down".

Please help me, should i keep up communicating with support asking to fix the problems every time the server is down or too slow? (that means at least once every 2 days). Should i change hosting services?

My confidence to Dreamhost is lost, it's the first time I use an Interantion Hosting Provider, i used to host my sites on Greek Services like TopHost where everything was ok. I think i made a huge mistake with Dreamhost because of a promo code they offered.

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried asking for a refund? Not sure how long their refund policy is? If they don't give you your refund and don't resolve the issue I recommend finding a new host.

Quote Originally Posted by simosmm View Post
    Hello all, new to this forum, old to forums generally and blogs

I need your advice.

I have a shared hosting plan in Dreamhost since 2 months (prepaid one year services with a promo last April).

Recently i decided to run 2 sites with Pligg. (name of the sites availabla to who want to learn).

For start Dreamhost promised one click install but there were problems with one click and I had to install Pligg manually.

My sites run for 10 days now and I have a lot of problems with the server connection and when they are up, the sites are very slow.

In these 10 days i have already contacted the support 6 times! They have responded to every email saying "we are sorry, the servers were loaded, fixed" or "there was an abusive user in the server" etc.

They are very gentle but i don't really care because my sites are down and when i try to connect and refresh them, in most cases they are either too slow, or down. When i mean slow it takes 40 seconds or more to connect.

My 2 sites (startups) are going really bad because no user is waiting for 40 seconds to see a site or comes back if the site down. Last Friday I was in an advertising office to promote them and when i said the manager to see the site, he replied "site is down".

Please help me, should i keep up communicating with support asking to fix the problems every time the server is down or too slow? (that means at least once every 2 days). Should i change hosting services?

My confidence to Dreamhost is lost, it's the first time I use an Interantion Hosting Provider, i used to host my sites on Greek Services like TopHost where everything was ok. I think i made a huge mistake with Dreamhost because of a promo code they offered.

Thanks in advance!
    Had personal accounts with Dreamhost for 5 yrs. Never had problems, I'd recommend contacting their support. Uptime with them recently has been 100% for the past 5 months. They are rock solid.

Support is usually very helpful, I'd request to see if they can move you to another server or the DreamhostPS.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

refund? I lost the one month, I signed in in April and I started using their services in May (10 days ago). Moreover it's not the money (i only paid 9 dolars for a year)

I want to learn from exprerienced users in this forum if Dreamhost worth the pain (and i am the unlucky one, and soon they will not have any more problems) or i should take my sites and run to another hosting service...

Doesn't sound like DreamHost has gotten any better since I left them a few years ago. DreamHost is good for non-critical sites, but if you're expecting sites to be up reliably, or expecting fast support response times when they aren't, and depending on this for your business image -- then you are with the wrong host.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

I know if I was with a host and my website was taken 40 sec's to load I would leave them.I would ask them for a refund then find another good host maybe read reviews on here.

Best of Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    Had personal accounts with Dreamhost for 5 yrs. Never had problems, I'd recommend contacting their support. Uptime with them recently has been 100% for the past 5 months. They are rock solid.

Support is usually very helpful, I'd request to see if they can move you to another server or the DreamhostPS.
    Thank you! I will ask for another server in my next communication (today i already contacted them because me sites are down.. again!)

Simonsmm, possibly take a look at some sort of vps, if you plan on running social networks or any type of community shared hosting generally isn't the best environment to grow a large community, if your looking to keep it small though shared hosting should be ok. I keep pushing slicehost and linode lately, they offer a decent vps and a decent amount of bandwidth and the best part is you can optimize it yourself by configuring every aspect of your LAMP stack, if you have the time this may be the best route for you. Otherwise try lookign for some other shared hosts.

thanks! the sites are only 10 days, my plans are to stay to shared for 6 months and then, when they will grow up then go to a VPS solution. Buth right now, they are almost always down so they can't grow up!

Right now it's Monday morning in Greece, everybody is in the net, my ads are running but the sites are still down!

If you are running a crucial business and cannot afford down time, i wonder, why you have been continuing with them for more then a month ?

Changing a hosting provider only take 24 hrs. ( the time need to resolve name servers of your domain)......
    Gineey - JodoHost.com
    Windows VPS, HSphere Reseller, ASP.NET, ColdFusion & more!
    True 24x7x365 Live Support, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    Hosting over 85,000+ websites across 100+ countries!

you are right! i though Dreamhost was a good company and problems would stop....

That's the problem when people judge a website by reputation instead of what they have to offer.

I was once like that until i found a relatively unknown host provider "Quality host". Their services are invaluable and top notch and the irony of it is that their prices are cheap. I wrote something about them on my blog.

refund? I lost the one month, I signed in in April and I started using their services in May (10 days ago). Moreover it's not the money (i only paid 9 dolars for a year)

I want to learn from exprerienced users in this forum if Dreamhost worth the pain (and i am the unlucky one, and soon they will not have any more problems) or i should take my sites and run to another hosting service...
    You only paid $9 for a year that not alot of money for a year. I would say to you,you get what you pay for. Just maybe that why you are not getting a good service.
    Last edited by Ninjapanther Hosting; 07-06-2009 at 05:42 AM.

maybe you should stay with them as they have good reviews just ask to change server of something like that?

Well you could try to ask to be transferred to another server. When the problems keep coming, or they refuse to transfer you. You could always say to go to another host and ask for a refund.

If it is crucial your site is online and you have to much downtime whit a hoster you better can go to another hosting or ask if they can support better uptimes.

Some hosters like me have different price classes and uptimes. How cheaper you have your package how more risk on downtime you take. However downtime need to be always to be kept at a minimum.

you are right! i though Dreamhost was a good company and problems would stop....
    Agree ! but it shows that you can bear it because web business is a kind of most sensitive one, i believe you have, don't all what you can do, finally ask their support team, if they can really help you.... otherwise you have many host available on webhostingtalk itself, lot are offering free trial so that you can try their services for 2 -3 days to get confidence.

However, best of luck.
    Gineey - JodoHost.com
    Windows VPS, HSphere Reseller, ASP.NET, ColdFusion & more!
    True 24x7x365 Live Support, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    Hosting over 85,000+ websites across 100+ countries!

Yes, its sound like your site is hosted on a server on which some site must be using too much processes which is making your site load slowly. Hence you are facing the problem of slow site loading, you need to request them to find the user responsible for this or request them to move your site to another server.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

Hi,

I’d have requested an immediate migration to another server and would have a close monitoring of the site. If the situation remains more or less the same, just move asap. From what I read here about your host, I think BigBison is right. If you have to host a critical site, look for a reputable and reliable hosting provider, — but business-grade reliability always comes at a price. It’s never cheap.

Good luck,
    sash
    kept alive by vertaalbureau

I don't want to be rude, but this is your fault, what were you expecting for $0.8 per month? If reliability is important, you should not chase the bigger plan for the cheapest price. Search for a host with good reputation, offering a package according to your needs (not unlimited space/bandwidth crap) and for a reasonable price.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    I don't want to be rude, but this is your fault, what were you expecting for $0.8 per month? If reliability is important, you should not chase the bigger plan for the cheapest price. Search for a host with good reputation, offering a package according to your needs (not unlimited space/bandwidth crap) and for a reasonable price.
    Is it that kind of company?

Well indeed, unlimited space, traffic etc. is technical impossible. If you want a reliable hosting you should not choose this kind of hosting plans...

thank you, i know partly it's my fault!

in fact i thought i could pay less for a year to see my needs and then buy from them some VPS solution.

But if they are so crappy during the test period, i don't ever dare to imagine paying to them 50 dollars a month...

get a dedicated solo server if this is a problem..spend money to make money

yes you are right :-)

i will take the Greek site to a Greek Hosting Service to see the difference.

Hosting is a huge, complicated, problem. Things should become more simple and reliable...

thank you, i know partly it's my fault!

in fact i thought i could pay less for a year to see my needs and then buy from them some VPS solution.

But if they are so crappy during the test period, i don't ever dare to imagine paying to them 50 dollars a month...
    No it is not your fault (unless it was your site causing the 40second load times). There are just certain web providers out there that willingly take on customers when they know their servers can not support them.

No, I'm not talking about good hosts that oversell based on usage data on their systems. I'm talking about the ones that will take any and all customers and deal with the problems later. It's a volume business for these types of hosts. If they want to compete for lowest price to attract customers that is fine but in my opinion no price, however small, should justify a broken service (and yes, 40 second load times is broken). Companies that do this work because the customer just lives with it. A telltale sign of this is support tickets that lead you on with various explanations of why your site takes 40 seconds to load but no real fix is forthcoming. Basically they can't or won't fix it (but they certainly know why it is broke).

If I were you I'd ask for a refund no matter what and move asap (file with the bbb, look up the officers of the company and personally email them if necessary, whatever it takes to get the refund). It's not about the money. In fact, if you just leave and give them your money this played right into their hands. It's exactly what they want - your money and for you not to use their resources. By making the price so small the likelihood of you just giving up is in their favor. They bet on this.

By the way, coming to WebHostingTalk is your best move yet. It is the best place on the web to find a solution to your problem and there are numerous quality providers that you can find through this place.
    Last edited by enduser; 07-06-2009 at 04:18 PM.

From my tests so far (a matter of weeks only), DH seems to be performing more or less on par with their direct competitors, with page loads of a few seconds, not 40 sec as you experienced. I'm only testing scripts like Joomla, wordpress, so I don't know about Pligg. Did you try some other application, to see how it fares?

Is it the web server that's overloaded, or the database server? Once you determine that, ask for a change of server, if possible.

I don't want to be rude, but this is your fault, what were you expecting for $0.8 per month?
    This was a sale, with special pricing for the first year. What he obviously expected was the regular $10/month service, as promised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast