Question First Time PC Builder

Hello All!

Just wanted to ask all of those custom computer builders out there if there are any good pre-reads (online preferably) or cool tools a first-timer like myself should look at or get? This is my first time building my own PC and I am very excited to do so. I got my 2 Hard drives, 2 Optical drives, and CPU Cooling Fan already and seeing it made me so happy (especially that WD Raptor ).

Anyway, any cool links to great reads before I get started, but I am having my friend supervise me who has built computers for a handful of people before. But, it is at least good to have some type of knowledge so I do not mess anything up if you know what I mean.

You can post links to books I should buy, but most likely it will not arrive before I get my other parts. Anyway, any documentation is cool with me. If you want to know what I am building (my parts), let me know and I will post the specs.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

- John
    SwiftModders - Premium WHMCS Themes, Blesta Themes, and WordPress Development
    View my top-rated WHMCS Themes trusted by over 1,000 businesses!
    █ Now offering Blesta Themes to transform your Blesta client area!

Moved to Computers and Peripherals.

Hi John,

I would love to see your specs? it is a dual core?

Cheers

Sure, here is what I purchased.

Mind you I am a Gamer/3D modeler and graphics artist. This is why I bought this PC and also for my personal self-satisfaction .

Case: LIAN LI PC-V1000BPlus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Mother Board: ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
    CPU Fan: ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
    Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Hard Drive #1: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
    Hard Drive #2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    DVD-ROM: SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive
    DVD-RW Drive: ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black
    Video Card: XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP ExTreme Edition Video Card
    Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream ATX12V 600W Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

Note: All I needed was a tower, I already have a nice Saiteck Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech Speaker System, Logitech MX518 Mouse, and Dual LCD Monitors (One Dell, one Viewsonic 2ms).

Let me know what you think?
    Last edited by SwiftModders; 03-14-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    SwiftModders - Premium WHMCS Themes, Blesta Themes, and WordPress Development
    View my top-rated WHMCS Themes trusted by over 1,000 businesses!
    █ Now offering Blesta Themes to transform your Blesta client area!

Well thats a sweet computer, love the specs..

Some pictures would be nice

Cheers

Building a computer is pretty straight-forward. I don't think you'll need any documentation if you have a friend supervising. However a few useful tips from someone who has made these mistakes before:

1. Make sure you are working on a clean area (Preferably off carpet) to prevent ESD (Electrical Static Discharge.) that is very damaging to circuits.
    *Tip: A good way to prevent ESD is to touch an exposed part of your metal computer case before handling hardware. This exposes any buildup you may have even if you don't notice it - and chances are you won't notice it.

2. You don't have to insert a screw into every single available hole in your motherboard when installing it, however it is reccomended to put a screw in each corner and the center at minimum.

3. Double check your power cords, especially your CPU fan. I've friend a processor or two forgetting about it; even when I had the fan installed just not plugged in...

4. I learned installing cords last saves a lot of time. Don't ask why.

Well.. Gotta run, best of luck putting together your new rig, and it looks very promising. Good ol' E6600 Conroes.
    ██ Jordan G.
    ██ Mambug Studios
    ██ Hosting, Designing, Scripting
    ██ We specialize in designing, coding, deploying and maintaining businesses online since 2005.

Hard Drive #1: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
    Hard Drive #2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    Read your manual carefully before you start. With the asus board I just used your operating system must go on the sata drive.

Then again maybe you just listed your parts and not the order you intended to install them.

Here's a chuckle for you guys. I put off installing the cpu for a couple of days because I hate dealing with the pins even with a zif socket. Freaked me out when I opened the box and discovered the LGA doesn't have any pins.
    Colbyt

Quote Originally Posted by colbyt
    Read your manual carefully before you start. With the asus board I just used your operating system must go on the sata drive.
    That's not true.. you just change boot priority. And even if it was in the order he stated.. they are both SATA drives anyway. And why would he put the raptor as a secondary drive?
    It's Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by AH-John
    You can post links to books I should buy, but most likely it will not arrive before I get my other parts. Anyway, any documentation is cool with me. If you want to know what I am building (my parts), let me know and I will post the specs.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

- John
    You won't need anything... actually, since you have the parts already, you will be amazed at how fast this thing will go together... I'm talking in under 30 minutes, maybe 45 minutes, if your friend does a lot of talking. (This is for the build only.)

I built my first computer in a while last year... prior to that I built computers all the time (starting in the late 90s). One thing that amazed me was the new "tool less" cases and the documents that came along with the different parts... everything will fit so smooth... it should be fairly easy.

The longest time for your build will be installing the software... lol... takes forever....

About the only thing I can recommend is to take everything out of the packing, have a clean work space, and stage all the parts. If you get a small case, pay attention to when you put in parts... for example, in a case I'm working on right now, I have to take out the power supply to remove the cpu... it is an old dell from the 90s... lol... pita. Also, if you have a small case, ensure you connect the cables before pushing the cd-rom drive all the way back... I had trouble with that as well....

Other than that, have a good time.... touch the case often... make it a habit before putting your hands in the case at all....

Oh, and take time out to actually build the thing... don't answer the phone or do other things will working in the case... don't be watching tv... lol....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Cool specs. You should have provided a photo for more mouth drooling. The only part I disagree with yours is the Video Card. I'm still more of a ATI person. I'd go for Powercolor X1950 XTX.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Wow, great specs. How much did all of this cost (curious).

I remember building my first computer..... it was scary.. but as long you work in a non-carpet area (I worked on the kitchen floor for mine), you won't risk much static (as always, touch the metal case inside to remove any static).

I'm hoping to build a new computer soon too.. considering the last one I built (my fifth one), it's about 5 years old....

i just finished building my first as well last week. Check out videos on youtube, and howstuffworks. the hardest part is selecting all the right/good components then instalation is easy (my opinion). good luck and let me know if u need any help

instalation is easy (my opinion).
    Make sure you have a first aid kit standing by if you buy a cheapo case. e.g $20.

I've been building machines for years and have never managed to build a machine into a cheap case without cutting myself. Maybe ui'm just unlucky but i've never had it happen on any of my Antec Cases (Which i higly recommend you checkout - Really nice cases, good quality but not that cheap)

Just a thought.

yea true, I got the apevia X-cruiser didnt really have sharp edges, but it is sick specially in the dark and good priced at $50

Quote Originally Posted by Atcomputers.us View Post
    Building a computer is pretty straight-forward. I don't think you'll need any documentation if you have a friend supervising. However a few useful tips from someone who has made these mistakes before:

1. Make sure you are working on a clean are

2. You don't have to insert a screw into every single available hole in your motherboard when installing it

3. Double check your power cords, especially your CPU fan.

4. I learned installing cords last saves a lot of time. Don't ask why.

Adding to this.... On second thought after doing my second system this past December....a Chair with fabric is not a good temproary place to rest a motherboard. Even that can have static electricity. I built my second one mostly on a plastic picnic table.

I prefer to use the grease that came with the Zalman. Grease just seems safer than dealing with Silver compound.

Re #2. I was wondering this myself. I only installed 4 in on my last one, hoping that was enough to keep it stable and safe..

Re#3. Don't forget to connect the Vid card Power Supply, either. I was so nervous trying to be carefull with $100's worth of equipment, that I forgot
    to do this twice after I had to uninstall everything to fix a problem.....

Re#4 - Cords are always last for me . A Twistie Tie works well for Cord Organization. I've found that if you have a small case, using a second twistie tie
    to tie the cords to the hard drive enclosure holes works wonders .

Building computers is fun, but the first week wait period is a bit of a wreck for me. If nothing fails or crashes by then, it probably won't later, and I consider the build a success...

Last edited by Neil V; 04-20-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk