Need advice for cluster/ lots of dedicated boxes

I need advice for a small setup. Infact, I will be using 1 dedicated box for Web Server, 1 busy site will be hosted over it and the second will be used as a database server plus mail server. I will also be putting 2 servers as backup for those first 2. As in any case, any active node goes down the passive node takes over. Piranha works ?

Infact, I could be wrong here cause of lack of comunication skills, but the solution I want is for a busy web portal. I am seriously thinking of fdcservers.net. They seem to be good, heard a lots of praise for them So, I think its not a good move to ask about joining fdcservers.net or not. My concern is what solution would suite me for such senerio.

What about the backup servers. Practically thay should *not* be in the same facility or sharing the same pipe as the other servers using. As it could only help in case of physical failover. What in case the main carrier goes down and there is no other route for the backup server to respond ? How could I implement a good clustering setup with it ?

Goni

i maintain a server for a buddy there and it pushed out 1 terabyte last month.

but it gets so horrible slow at times they say they put 10 servers per 100mb line and then i emailed them saying i cant push at more than .5 mb/s and they were like if you want somthing more dedicated get our fast server for 400 a month

its totally up to you but for somthing fast all the time definatly not somone to go with and its all cogent bandwidth .

check out webresller.net i am about to signup with them it seems and thier live help person was super nice his name was Joseff Wishnoff

but if your site is'nt very critical for being up and fast then fdc may be great but if its mission critical that its up then you might want to steer clear from them .

btw.. i emailed them asking whats difference between the 100mbit port and 10mbit port they offer for cheaper since you cant push hardly 10mb/s out with the 100mbit port and again they said get the fast server or contact us for a dedicated line rental bah

just a quick correction...the 10 servers per 100mbit feed is our Fast service but you`re on standard service

oh i thought there were 10 on mine

how many on the regular service?

that`s why we suggested dedicated feed if you needed more bandwidth ... yours has 30-40 servers

we realize there is a big price gap between our standard and fast service that`s why we`ll be offering new package from monday where you`ll be able to get guarranteed 1.5TB/month bandwith for $169/month

how many servers will go on one of those 100mb/s connection?

and how many cogent 100mb connections you have now?

it will be up to 20 server.

we currently have 4 feeds...talking to cogent about getting 1gig line for the new place we`re setting up