Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Half Rack / Full Rack - 100Mbps

Anyone know any hosts that offer a half rack or full rack with a full 100Mbps connection?

Thanks
    Tim

cogent !

Depends, do you have a location/price range you're looking in? Lots of hosts can do it, it's all a matter of finding the right match.
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

No specific location in mind.
    Just looking for the cheapest with good uptime and low ping times.
    I understand for a high quality connection you have to pay quite alot, so I'm just looking for a balance between cost and quality

From looking at prices of a few providers, I think I'm looking at spending about $3000 per month maximum.

Are Hurricane Electric better than Cogent?

Originally posted by 5 Star Hosting
    From looking at prices of a few providers, I think I'm looking at spending about $3000 per month maximum.
    For a full rack, including 20AMP power on a low latency non-congested providers network?
    www.zubrcom.net | Tel: 1-877-982-7266 / 1-267-298-3232 | sales@zubrcom.net|@zubrcom
    Hosting, VPS, Servers, Unmetered 10, 100 and Gigabit servers - Colocation - Engineering services
    "Elegant solutions to complex problems in the Internet-centric world"

Originally posted by zubrcom
    For a full rack, including 20AMP power on a low latency non-congested providers network?
    Well with Hurricane Electric it's $2500/month, and Cogent $3000/month. I've always thought HE were supposed to be good, but I don't know if they've gone downhill recently.

HE dumps a lot of their bandwidth off onto WCG. $3000/month doesn't get you too much. Cogent and HE are both considered to be bottom of the barrel providers. If you're not blending them with other providers, I would consider spending a little more, and getting higher quality bandwidth.
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Hmm. Who whould you say is 'next up' from Cogent/HE then?

5 Star Hosting. One phrase comes to mind that you should keep in mind. You get what you pay for.
    Webby Enterprises LLC - AS63031
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Sunny Central Florida
    In the business since 1997!
    http://www.webbytech.net

Level 3 for a 100Mbps commit you probly can get 3000 a month.. im not sure what your going to get in terms of rack space tho.

I seen Level3 for 35/meg on 100mbit somewhere before, and then 650 a Cab in their Datacenter.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

I want to see Level3 100mbps for $3000/month
    Webby Enterprises LLC - AS63031
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Sunny Central Florida
    In the business since 1997!
    http://www.webbytech.net

Originally posted by webtech
    I want to see Level3 100mbps for $3000/month
    That's easy, delivered on a FE.

Now if you want 100mbs usable on a GE, it is a bit higher then that.

Tom

35/meg on a GE is where it is at right now.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Originally posted by Mfjp
    35/meg on a GE is where it is at right now.
    100mbs commit I assume?

I have also seen $35/mbps might have even been $30/mbps for 100mbps of level 3. I think the cabinet will run about $650 as well.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

None of this matters because he wants a full rack with 20A (40A?) power included as well...So assume at minimum $700 for the rack, so he needs 100mbit for $2300.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Each server uses about 0.5A right? If that's the case, 15-20A, which most datacenters seem to provide with a full cabinet, would be fine.

Is it best to maybe get just 1U/2U with a provider first just to try them out, before getting the full rack?

On average it is 1 AMP per 1U, and you only can put 16AMPs per 20U braker unless you want to pray every time you reboot a server if your braker is going to be blown.
    www.zubrcom.net | Tel: 1-877-982-7266 / 1-267-298-3232 | sales@zubrcom.net|@zubrcom
    Hosting, VPS, Servers, Unmetered 10, 100 and Gigabit servers - Colocation - Engineering services
    "Elegant solutions to complex problems in the Internet-centric world"

how much of the bandwidth are you going to be using? that will matter on your total monthly bill and will make a difference in the best deal out there for you.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by 5 Star Hosting
    Each server uses about 0.5A right? If that's the case, 15-20A, which most datacenters seem to provide with a full cabinet, would be fine.

Is it best to maybe get just 1U/2U with a provider first just to try them out, before getting the full rack?
    the last box i've seen use 0.5A under load is a 400mhz celeron =] keep in mind that the general load guideline for a breakered circuit is 80%, so you would likely be looking at 14-15A on a 20A circuit (we keep it at 12A to leave breathing room).

and yes, trying out the provider first is definitely a good idea. adapting the cliched metaphor, you should always buy one cat in a bag as a sample before signing a delivery contract for a hundred cats in a hundred bags each month for the next year =]

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Power is definitely a consideration. HE in Fremont does not and will not go above 15A per cabinet. At 80%, 12A is about max. Beside, you also need to look at the overall picture. Non locking free standing rack is the norm in HE-San Jose. There is also other misc charge that colo tacked on without notice. Buyer beware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast