Looking for a Host that host Forums or Message Boards.

Is there such a host here?

Thanks.

What Boards are you talking about?
    CW3 Web Hosting - Merchant Accounts-Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://cw3host.com and http://home.cyberweb3.net

get one with php and mysql
    install vbulletin or phpbb

is it really that hard ?

Have pm'd you

Im sure if you ask nicely, most hosts will install a forum for you, if you also purchase hosting off them. I would recommend Invision Board www.invisionboard.com

There are some nice boards out there. I like PHPbb, free and pretty nice. Lots of people like VBulletin, but I dislike having to pay for something that I can get pretty close for free (phpbb).

I agree with the previous poster though, many hosts would be happy to install a simple script for you if you are a new customer.

-WC-

Originally posted by gandalf1
    Have pm'd you

Participants may not instruct users to check your e-mail, check your PM, or inform them that they've got mail or a new PM, or any variant thereof. This rule is also applicable in the advertising forums.
    Thanks again for reading the rules.

Most hosts allow you to host php and boards based on MySQL. If you have a board that's huge your host might ask you to move or go to a dedicated server. I know we're hosting quite a few boards......
    Alex B.

Originally posted by akash

Thanks again for reading the rules.
    SORRY, had my mind on other things.

Originally posted by gandalf1

SORRY, had my mind on other things.
    Sure hope you don't drive.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Certainly do but leave it to cruise control

If you're going to host a vbulletin board, from experience I know that you won't even use 1GB bandwidth everyday, even if you have 20 people online all the time...so most hosts will/should allow it , it's not as if a PHP/mySQL driven forum messes up servers like UBB.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

I'm expecting the forum site to have 200 online users all at the same time. Is it ok if i'd just use XMB or other free forums? Somebody recommended Invisionboard. Anyway, this is just one of my plans. How much bandwith and space needed is what i would like to know first.

Originally posted by Jeffreyw
    I'm expecting the forum site to have 200 online users all at the same time. Is it ok if i'd just use XMB or other free forums? Somebody recommended Invisionboard. Anyway, this is just one of my plans. How much bandwith and space needed is what i would like to know first.
    Ok.. quick tip... If you have a specification in mind then it generally helps to provide as much details as possible so that people understand the context to your question...

If you're talking about 200 users all at the same time though I'd be looking at a dedicated machine with at least 50Gb+ on it... In fact I'd probably suggest a heck of a lot more BW...

In short it won't be cheap.

Originally posted by WebSnail.net

Ok.. quick tip... If you have a specification in mind then it generally helps to provide as much details as possible so that people understand the context to your question...

If you're talking about 200 users all at the same time though I'd be looking at a dedicated machine with at least 50Gb+ on it... In fact I'd probably suggest a heck of a lot more BW...

In short it won't be cheap.
    50GB is A LOT of bandwidth. It all depends on the software you are using, and what your 200 users are doing (posting, reading, etc). It's best to choose a host that will allow you to upgrade indefinitely

I have a question about this, we are hosting a forum that has 120 concurrent users at a time, now I have asked the owner to move to a dedicated server because he is impacting on other clients (eg we only have 6 other sites on the server )

He said it's too expensive to go to a dedicated, but would have to think about it, what can I do about it? I don't wan't to terminate the account, because he has something good going there but if he can't afford a server what can we do?

In total there are 83 users online :: 41 Registered, 6 Hidden and 36 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
    Most users ever online was 197 on Tue 10 Sep, 2002 10:06
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

maybe a VPS/VDS?

Originally posted by akash
    maybe a VPS/VDS?
    I was thinking that, but don't know where to start. The other thing is what sort of system (specs) would be sufficient for something like that site with say 150concurrent users online.

Originally posted by Myacen
    I have a question about this, we are hosting a forum that has 120 concurrent users at a time, now I have asked the owner to move to a dedicated server because he is impacting on other clients (eg we only have 6 other sites on the server )

He said it's too expensive to go to a dedicated, but would have to think about it, what can I do about it? I don't wan't to terminate the account, because he has something good going there but if he can't afford a server what can we do?

To be honest if he's using a shared server to the extent that you say ie: pretty much hogging the resources then he's really taking the mickey...

If you're trying to be accomodating though I would seriously suggest coming to some kind of terms with him eg: getting advertising in return, charging him for at least half the cost of a dedicated... in return for your continued support and an agreed time frame for when he WILL move to a dedicated server.

Any other thinking leaves you and the other sites on that server compensating for that one client. With the best will in the world that's just plain wrong.

Originally posted by Myacen

You could use mod_throttle to set some limits.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

We have placed mysql connection limits on the server

Oh yeah that'll work too, per user limits should do the trick.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck