What are the sales and technical questions customer will ask for a share hosting

Hi Everyone,

I am very interested to run a webhosting business, i am looking at hostgator reseller hosting.

I am currently running a small business at home, meaning i will be able to provide support 7 days per week but not 24 hour.

I will provide free trial for my customer to test up the service first before they commit.

Now i will like to know what are the common sales/technical question they will ask through phone or live chat ?

I hope you all will help me in this. Thank you in advance.

Common Sales related questions would be about the prices and the packages information, Technical questions would be more about web hosting, cpanel related, servers related etc.

I will you all the best for your new business.

Thanks Henry wilson, i will gather as much info as possible.

As a owner of this business, i will like to learn and give support as i do not want to outsource the support.

Customers will usually ask questions about the package and other stuff. Some of the common questions that potential customers ask us are:
    1. Where is the server located ?
    2. What do you mean by x ?
    3. Does cPanel have softaculous/fantastico/RVSiteBuilder/etc installed ?
    4. Do you perform backups ? If so how often ?
    5. Can I host x type of websites ?
    6. Can I get additional IPs ? price ?
    7. In which datacenter is the server ?
    8. Can I get SSH access ?
    9. Do you have money back guarantee ?
    10. Do you have any ongoing promotions ?

Those are all I can think of now. But customers can get really creative and will ask you various types of questions. You should be ready for anything.
    Sajid Iftekhar - Web Design Portfolio

Thanks Sajib-hostx10 .

I will note down and find out first, and be prepare. I more worry about phone calls.

If live chat, i still can ask hostgator live chat support then reply to the customer.

Hello,

I suggest you to put the support question only through ticket, if you still new and don't know alot, you will be facing problem with all kind of technical question later.
    As for sales question, usually they will ask about the server location, the guarantee, the package details,etc

So be prepared, do the homework before opening the door.

Thank routeandport, i will do the homework first.

I am not a computer science grad, but i start my small business also not related to what i learn as i am a electrical student. Nothing to shout about.

But i just have a dream, to run a webhosting business. starting with reseller, even i just break even or not making money but not over selling like unlimited disk space or empty promise like unlimited disk space etc.

Hope more of you will give your advise. Thank you
    Last edited by 1tigerboy; 06-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.

my business plan will be not overselling but free triad (no need credit card info) for customer for 1 domain at 100mb to 500mb to try out and to ask question. Ask as much as you like, this will improve me .

Every question will be answer asap + 2 laptop with loud speaker to wake me up to give support. I know it is not easy, but i must try my very best.

Its good to have that great spirit,
    Anyway, if you order HostGator Reseller package, remember to grab this book https://secure.hostgator.com/web-hosting-book/

Its very useful for starter

Quote Originally Posted by routeandport View Post
    Its good to have that great spirit,
    Anyway, if you order HostGator Reseller package, remember to grab this book https://secure.hostgator.com/web-hosting-book/

Its very useful for starter
    Noted with thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1tigerboy View Post
    Noted with thanks
    Welcome
    There's no easy/quick money, hardworking and patience will bring you to success.

It's good to know about the dedication that you're having towards your business, it's also good to know that you're against overselling. Customers also ask if you're going to help for installation of 3rd party software applications.
    OutsourceHostingSupport.Com
    Offering range of Outsourced Web Hosting Support options
    for Reseller hosts, VPS and Dedicated server providers
    Website Development, WordPress & Joomla Support

Quote Originally Posted by ohsupport View Post
    It's good to know about the dedication that you're having towards your business, it's also good to know that you're against overselling. Customers also ask if you're going to help for installation of 3rd party software applications.
    I am interested in what the 'normal' response to this is? being that as a web developer that has started reselling hosting (but not yet had that question),as part of my web development business would be to charge for installation of 3rd party packages, although the request for installation often comes with a request for configuration and customisation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alcaeus View Post
    I am interested in what the 'normal' response to this is? being that as a web developer that has started reselling hosting (but not yet had that question),as part of my web development business would be to charge for installation of 3rd party packages, although the request for installation often comes with a request for configuration and customisation etc.
    Third party software also need to help the customer install ? I think i will not provide this service unless i am confident with the software itself.

Third party software also need to help the customer install ? I think i will not provide this service unless i am confident with the software itself.
    You should not be scared NOT to offer a certain service. If you are not sure enough to help customers do script installs, just plainly state it, this will save you and your customers a lot of headache
    [BleemNET] – Shared Hosting & Dedicated
    Unmetered servers available. No contracts. 99.9% Uptime.
    Super Fast *LiteSpeed* Servers, cPanel/Softaculous

Quote Originally Posted by zdrux View Post
    You should not be scared NOT to offer a certain service. If you are not sure enough to help customers do script installs, just plainly state it, this will save you and your customers a lot of headache
    Yeap thats right. Honest business is better.

By the way, i just check hostgator reseller different plans and find it a bit funny with increase plan but when you upgrade the plan the bandwidth decrease.

Example: 50gb disk space with 500gb bandwidth for USD 24.95 but 200gb disk space with only "1400gb" bandwidth for USD 99.95 .

Meaning: if i slowly upgrade their plans, the disk space increase accordingly but the bandwidth did not increase the same.

if i were to sell 1gb disk space 10gb bandwidth per account, after i reach 50gb disk space if i am going to upgrade the plans i am not able to provide 10gb bandwidth per account anymore because the bandwidth did not increase accordingly.

It didnt make sense right ? it should be at least 2000gb bandwidth or more so i am still able to provide the same amount of bandwidth to my customer per account and not telling my customer now we have grow and your bandwidth will decrease by 1gb...

hehe i am think too much ...

Nice to see a person with electrical background and willing to do a business related to web hosting. I can see that you are very dedicated, hardworking ans zeal to learn new things. I wish you good luck and hope you get some good responses for your new business.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry wilson View Post
    Nice to see a person with electrical background and willing to do a business related to web hosting. I can see that you are very dedicated, hardworking ans zeal to learn new things. I wish you good luck and hope you get some good responses for your new business.
    Thanks Henry Wilson :=)

Now i am doing a business plan for webhosting, i trying to gather as much info as possible. Start with reselling plan, can make sure i start from the start. Learn from the first level support first.

You are on the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry wilson View Post
    You are on the right way!
    Thank Henry wilson

my business plan will be not overselling but free triad (no need credit card info) for customer for 1 domain at 100mb to 500mb to try out and to ask question.
    If you offer free trial hosting it's recommended to do at least some basic identity check as free trial offers may get used for fraudulent activities by people who sign up with fake information.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

You would be amazed by the number of customers who call in to our clients phone numbers asking questions we may all take for granted. Such as:

- Can I have my own .com with this?
    - Do I get to have emails with this at my own .com?
    - Does this allow my website to stay online constantly?
    - I've been told I need to host my site on an apache, do you support this?
    - What does bandwidth actually mean?
    - How do I put my website online? It's currently saved on my PC.
    - Can people access my site from their mobiles?

Hope this helps,

James
    PhoneSupportWorldwide.com
    Web Hosting Telephone Customer Services
    Telephone: 0800 310 2729 - Blog: Click here

Few of the common technical queries
    - I already have a domain, how do I make it resolve from your server
    - What are your backup plans
    - Do you offer website templates or free installation of known applications
    - Can you help me transferring the files
    - How can I import a database to SQL Server
    - Do you have Firewall and antivirus installed on server, are my files safe