Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to generate Word of Mouth? We can Help!

HostLook
    HostLook is a hosting request system.

How do I generate Word Of Mouth?
    As you know, the first step is to obtain customers, but for hosting companies with small/nil ad budgets, that can be very difficult.

With HostLook, hosting firms are able to bid on different projects, and acquire new customers. This is the best way to generate word of mouth, because its quick and easy to obtain a lot of new customers, and provided you give good support, you'll see a lot of referred sign ups coming in!

Unlike my competitors, I have advertising agreements set up with AdSensor.com, dkAds, and I have popups on RateMyHost and my other webmaster properties so quality leads are continually streaming in.

If you are a new web hosting company, or just a hosting company looking to obtain new clients, give us a shot for a month!

For an entire month, all WHT members will receive a reduced rate of only $79.99/month! Remember, 1 customer will make you x amount a month, but you're customer acquisition goes down when they start referring others to your service. In essence, 1 happy customer from our service could easily bring 10 customers for you.
    1. What other benefits does HostLook have?
    2. Sign-up
    Last edited by ZBoca; 11-29-2002 at 04:21 PM.

So users have to pay $80/month to be able to bid on hosting requests, is that the deal here?

How is that different from eLance, except that one has to recoup $80 worth of business a month to NOT take a loss at it...

I'm not familiar with eLance.com, so I can't comment on how our services differ.

The deal is that users pay $79.99/month and are able to bid on hosting requests.

We have had 54 requests go through our system (1 week), and we have 2 web hosting companies signed up. In that way, I assume there is much less competition then eLance, and we will only accept 25 providers at the same time.

Zak

Well if you keep only 25 hosts, how do you make sure they are good hosts, so that you will have customers that will go there expected decent service?

Originally posted by bambenek
    Well if you keep only 25 hosts, how do you make sure they are good hosts, so that you will have customers that will go there expected decent service?
    I'm not sure if I understand your question?

If the host is looking to generate word of mouth, but is having a problem due to slow customer acquisition, this is a good service that can bring customers in quick. If the host provides good service, the acquired customer will refer them in some way or form, or simply create word of mouth. Generate 30 of these a month, in 6 months, you not only have a strong customer base, but you're generating sales from word of mouth.

$79.99/month is a very small investment, especially if you consider that your acquisition rate decreases as one customer refers another.

1st month. --- 10 customers acquired
    2nd month--- 10 customers acquired last month refer 3 customers
    3rd month-- and on..

ZBoca, ignore him, $80 is a great deal. It's just some people on here don't understand the value of good advertising...$80, unless you are a immature kid who would rather buy a video game, can bring alot to your business.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

Originally posted by dreamHOBO
    ZBoca, ignore him, $80 is a great deal. It's just some people on here don't understand the value of good advertising...$80, unless you are a immature kid who would rather buy a video game, can bring alot to your business.
    bingo =) Looks great ZBoca!
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

Originally posted by dreamHOBO
    Thanks. Yeah- I realize some people don't have $80 to begin with, but I sure hope they wouldn't spend it on a video game if they are trying to grow their business!

Maybe I don't get it either.
    So the $80 simply enables you to bid on aquiring customers. Wooopee. You could lose every bid, and totally lose the $80.
    Or worse, you could win bids by cutting your prices so low you take another loss in addition to the $80.
    I won't bid on customer aquistion. and I won't cut my prices so low to get customers that my business fails, and I lose everything, including the good customers I already had.

Also I think a good question was raised with the other 24 webhosts. What's to prevent a creepy webhost from being one of the 25 thus making all the webhosts look like creeps?
    Last edited by ATST; 11-29-2002 at 05:56 PM.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Originally posted by ATST
    Maybe I don't get it either.
    So the $80 simply enables you to bid on aquiring customers. Wooopee. You could lose every bid, and totally lose the $80.
    Or worse, you could win bids by cutting your prices so low you take another loss in addition to the $80.
    I won't bid on customer aquistion. and I won't cut my prices so low to get customers that my business fails, and I lose everything, including the good customers I already had.
    Yeah- you don't seem to get it.

The $79.99/month allows me to pay AdSensor, dkAds,and whatever other methods of promotion I take to promote Hostlook. People that are actively searching for a host will put their requirements in for a host they are looking for, and the signed up hosts will be able to bid on the project. Woooopee

You could lose every bid, just as you could not acquire any customers while spending $300/month advertising on some hosting directory. I don't guarantee any results, but I do guarantee that you'll be able to bid on a steady flow of hosting requests. Thats my service, and its all I can guarantee.

Should I also provide consulting for you? Listen- you bid according to your margins-- I have nothing to do with that. I personally would not mind selling small packages for a low price, because if you provide good service, you will have good referrals coming in. A $5.99/month account, instead of a $9.99/month account isn't going to kill anyones business, and if it does, you shouldn't be in business. Take a chance, work at a $4 loss for 2 months and watch that $5.99/month account talk about your services on forums, or refer friends and family to your site. It seems you're in it for a quick buck, so your views differ than mine.

Yes you will- and you will sign up now!
    No one is forcing you to sign up with my services-- this is an advertising forum, and I used it as that. I'm advertising my product. If you don't like it, don't waste your time, my time, WHT resources in posting in here telling me that you won't use my services.

Note: As mentioned in my earlier post, we have 2 hosts signed up. Your prices are most-likely too high if you're scared of competing against 2 hosts.

zboca,

this seems like a very good and innovative idea. the pricing seems to be fair as well.

with that said, do you know what percentage of those that requested quotes actually signed up with one of the hosts that quoted them? what i am getting at is whether the visitors are just window-shopping or actually ready to buy.

its not an attack, im not questioning your service, just asking a friendly question =]

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

The title of this thread said Trying to generate Word of Mouth? Find out how we can help!
    It did not say "Pay us $80 to Bid on customers" which I find to be misleading. Those are two different things. I wonder how misleading your other advertising is.

Make fun of me if you like, but it's my money, and if you are trying to get it from me, you will answer my questions. If answering me bothers you, the only hosts you are likely to get will be the creepy ones I was talking about.
    Also, I'm not worried about 5.99 plans. (nice job jumping to conclusions though) If you have checked out the request forums here, everyone undercuts the other host until somebody gets offered 1.99 or even .88 hosting. And it's free. Under your imaginary guide lines, I guess those forums should be changed to "Word Of Mouth" forums.

Gee, it only took one post by myself adressing your thread title, to bring out the rudeness in you. Good luck in your business venture.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."

Originally posted by rusko
    zboca,

this seems like a very good and innovative idea. the pricing seems to be fair as well.

with that said, do you know what percentage of those that requested quotes actually signed up with one of the hosts that quoted them? what i am getting at is whether the visitors are just window-shopping or actually ready to buy.

its not an attack, im not questioning your service, just asking a friendly question =]

cheers,
    paul
    No- very good question.

I'm really not too sure, with my system its not possible for me to track conversion rates. I can say that the users that come to RateMyHost are in a "buying mood", meaning they were not sent to the site by incentive, and after they submit a request I believe the chances of them buying increase. Of course it depends on many other factors such as pricing, etc., but they have taken 2 voluntary actions in finding a host, which makes me think those users lean towards the the users buying, and not simply browsing-- I could be wrong.

My other ads are also placed on webmaster sites, but the majority sites are just that, webmaster sites and not hosting directories, so the traffic from there could be a bit of both-- window shoppers and users ready to buy.

Thanks,

Zak

The title of this thread said Trying to generate Word of Mouth? Find out how we can help!
    It did not say "Pay us $80 to Bid on customers" which I find to be misleading. Those are two different things. I wonder how misleading your other advertising is.

Make fun of me if you like, but it's my money, and if you are trying to get it from me, you will answer my questions. If answering me bothers you, the only hosts you are likely to get will be the creepy ones I was talking about.
    Also, I'm not worried about 5.99 plans. (nice job jumping to conclusions though) If you have checked out the request forums here, everyone undercuts the other host until somebody gets offered 1.99 or even .88 hosting. And it's free. Under your imaginary guide lines, I guess those forums should be changed to "Word Of Mouth" forums.

Gee, it only took one post by myself adressing your thread title, to bring out the rudeness in you. Good luck in your business venture.
    Firstly, you just added the first question to your first post. Initially, you did not ask any questions, you merely said you were not going to use my services, and implied its a bad service. I am here to answer questions, and for the other posters, I'm sure I've answer their questions just fine. You, on the other hand, had no question in your first post, and you were simply flaming my service. I don't like McDonalds hamburgers, when I see their commercials do I run into their store yelling telling them I'm not going to eat there? Don't waste your time here either.

I'm not making fun of you, I'm making fun of your first post that attempted to flame my service. For the record, I would rather you not sign up with my services, because you are in it for a quick buck, and the hosts I pressume will benefit from my services are looking to generate word of mouth in addition to their other marketing objectives.

eh?
    Either you are posting in the wrong thread, or you skipped my entire post! Word of mouth is generated by obtaining clients and providing good service. (note: you have to provide the good service) New resellers are often complaining in "Running a Hosting Business" about generating word of mouth. A fix for this is obviously to find a way to obtain clients quickly. My service is geared towards assisting resellers (anyone) in quickly obtaining clients, even working at a small loss for a month, and then benefiting from the number of referrals.

Yes- in my dream world, or under my "imaginary guide lines", or perhaps from my business sense, Hosting Request could also pass as "Generating Word of Mouth"-- atleast from a web hosts view. Do you really think the guys taking packages as low as $.88 are making anything? No way-- they have some free resources, or they have a little extra money so they are going to take a cheap/small account, provide good service, and reap the benefits of referrals and/or word of mouth.

My post was rude, and I have no remorse for it. I don't have the free time to play games back any forth with you. If you had asked questions seeking answers, I gladly would have answered them in the same manner I did with the other posts, but again to sum it up, do you go in McDonalds and tell them you're not going to eat there?

It was your false advertising in the thread title that lead me to read your post. Therefore I will assume it will be false or misleading advertsing that will generate your traffic, and thus, the webhosts that got suckered in to paying you $80 will not get much positive "word of mouth"

If Mickey D's said "Hungry for Steak - come in and see what wev'e got" I would definately give them a piece of my mind before walking out. I don't care that their hamburgers came from a cow that was also cut into steaks. I came for steak, and left because I didn't want what they offered instead of it.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™

It was your false advertising in the thread title that lead me to read your post. Therefore I will assume it will be false or misleading advertsing that will generate your traffic, and thus, the webhosts that got suckered in to paying you $80 will not get much positive "word of mouth"

If Mickey D's said "Hungry for Steak - come in and see what wev'e got" I would definately give them a piece of my mind before walking out. I don't care that their hamburgers came from a cow that was also cut into steaks. I came for steak, and left because I didn't want what they offered instead of it.

Do you not see how this service can help WOM? I completely agree with what ZBoca has been saying, and agree that this service can indeed turn out profitable, and even as the thread title states, "improve word of mouth"
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

False advertising? No- perhaps the topic of "Word of Mouth" is broader than obtaining new clients, but obtaining new clients is a first step, as I said.

I would sign up if i had $80.

zboca,

keep it up - there is always someone with too much free time and not enough professionalism who happens upon your thread and starts flaming - its murphy's law adapted to wht.

as for the visitor conversions, would you mind getting in touch with the 2 hosts that are currently participating and inquiring as to whether they have gotten any signups?

please note that it is perfectly fine if the visitors are just researching - they will most likely buy within a couple weeks. of course, if they are looking to buy immediately its even better. just trying to establish which is which and where it fits into our future marketing strategy.

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

ATST, you need to drop it. If you aren't interested in signing up for the service, don't sign up. Simple.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by rusko
    zboca,

keep it up - there is always someone with too much free time and not enough professionalism who happens upon your thread and starts flaming - its murphy's law adapted to wht.

as for the visitor conversions, would you mind getting in touch with the 2 hosts that are currently participating and inquiring as to whether they have gotten any signups?

please note that it is perfectly fine if the visitors are just researching - they will most likely buy within a couple weeks. of course, if they are looking to buy immediately its even better. just trying to establish which is which and where it fits into our future marketing strategy.

cheers,
    paul
    Thanks Rusko.

I definitely do not mind getting in touch with the web hosts. If I'm not mistaken, they are members here (atleast 1 of them) so I'll invite them to join in on the discussion.

Thanks for your interest and kind words Rusko- hopefully will have one of our customers commenting on their results so far with our service.

Zak

this seems like a very good and innovative idea.
    Umm... not really. Here is how played out this idea is - pud from f'd company started the same thing a few months ago.

25 Hosts @ $80 a month = $2000. Take your cut, take your costs. That leaves how much for an advertising budget? $1000? Less? Spread that value of advertising across 25 other hosts - and how is this a good idea and a good advertising value?

Add to that you are broken down to not a value of quality but of price in this kind of scenario, you are left with less. Add to that, your site is not even listed on the hostlook site, so there is not even any brand building, just your shot to look at someone looking for a lowball quote, these forums deliver enough of that free.

And as more of these silly lendingtree of hosting sites popup, their questionable value becomes even less. So I am at a loss how this builds word of mouth, or a customer base. I would think you would get a better return hosting 8 10@month sites for free in exchange for banners.

Chet

Originally posted by chet

Umm... not really. Here is how played out this idea is - pud from f'd company started the same thing a few months ago.
    Yes- pud started his site around a month ago, or publically released it. I've had HostLook registered for several months, and have had the software in the makings. To clarify things, Pud was not the first to offer this.
    25 Hosts @ $80 a month = $2000. Take your cut, take your costs. That leaves how much for an advertising budget? $1000? Less? Spread that value of advertising across 25 other hosts - and how is this a good idea and a good advertising value?
    For one, a hosting company couldn't get much advertising for $80/month-- and more, they couldn't get this many hosting requests for $80 month. This isn't something C l Host will subscribe to, but for new hosts, this is a way to obtain customers, probably at a cheaper price, but in the long run provided the customer is happy, the host will come out on top. In 1 week I have received 50+ requests from RateMyHost. I have advertising starting with AdSensor on Monday, and dkAds late next week. I'm expecting a conservative 1000 hosting requests for the first month, and WHT does not get near that many a month, and the reason the rates get so low is due to the competition. We have 3 hosts signed up now, so as of right now, a hosting company hardly has any competition.
    Add to that you are broken down to not a value of quality but of price in this kind of scenario, you are left with less. Add to that, your site is not even listed on the hostlook site, so there is not even any brand building, just your shot to look at someone looking for a lowball quote, these forums deliver enough of that free.
    Above should clarify this. New hosting companies looking to acquire quick customers to generate word of mouth are probably not interested in branding, and a listing on the HostLook site would not be effective branding, because leads are sent through reduced popups. In addition, hosting companies are the only people that will end up at hostlook.com, so in terms of branding, including your hosting companies name in your quote should result in the same effect.

And as more of these silly lendingtree of hosting sites popup, their questionable value becomes even less. So I am at a loss how this builds word of mouth, or a customer base. I would think you would get a better return hosting 8 10@month sites for free in exchange for banners.
    Silly lendingtrees? This links users seeking a web host with web hosting companies, so I think anyone would see the value in this service. Many hosting companies cannot afford to brand their name as you say, and if they spend $80/month on any form of advertising, they will not see 1000 leads.

I agree branding is the way to go, but it's simply not possible to brand your name in such a competitive industry with 80 bucks a month.

Ideally, hosting companies sign up with me and pay $80/month. They acquire x amount customers/month at reduced or competitive rates, and if those customers are happy they will mention your name to their friends, collegues, or publically, and your cost per customer acquisition will decrease. Its tough for new hosts with low budgets to set themselves apart and acquire customers, and I feel this service will help boost their business and in time, can take a more profitable route such as branding.
    Last edited by ZBoca; 11-30-2002 at 12:56 AM.

Hello,

This is indeed a good way for hosting company to acquire customers however, I have been planning on starting a similar business. Here is a rough idea...A company only pays $5.00/month..Each customer company gets they pay some kind of commision or something similar to that scheme. The unique part in this bidding system is that one would only pay when they are getting customers. Like some of us think that what if i keep on loosing..hmm well you don't get customer but pay $80/month..Also about creepy companies winning all the bids..also customers should be able to log in and rate the company..obviously one should kick a company out if there are negative feedbacks..let me know how this idea sounds like..maybe i might boost up the speed on getting this project online..and maybe no monthly charges..but wait how would i advertise??..hehe let me know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast