How to install Mambo v4.5

What is mambo? Free and open-source! www.mamboserver.com or www.mamboportal.com

The following instructions or on how to do a manual install, which I always recommend. There are so many other ways to do it, this is just the best IMHO for anyone who have little or no experience.

1. To begin with, download the zip file from either of the sites above.

2. Unzip the files locally.
    Upload to your website, keeping the directory stucture the same.

3. Delete the folder 'installation' on the server.

4. In the documentation folder you will find a file called install. CHMOD all the files and folders listed (this is always to be done recursively.)Link: How to CHMOD

5. Create a new Mysql database, and in phpmyadmin (or SSH etc) insert the file mambo.sql (before you upload this, uncomment - (remove the #) out the last few lines of the file like this
    INSERT INTO `mos_users` VALUES (62, 'Administrator', 'admin', 'admin@wherever', '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'superadministrator', 0, 1, 25, '2003-11-11 00:00:00', '0000-00-00 00:00:00');
    INSERT INTO `mos_core_acl_aro` VALUES (62,'users','62',0,'Administrator',0);
    INSERT INTO `mos_core_acl_groups_aro_map` VALUES (25,'',62);

#INSERT INTO `mos_users` VALUES (63, 'Editor', 'editor', 'editor@wherever', '5aee9dbd2a188839105073571bee1b1f', 'editor', 0, 0, 20, '2003-11-11 00:00:00', '0000-00-00 00:00:00');
    #INSERT INTO `mos_core_acl_aro` VALUES (63,'users','63',0,'Editor',0);
    #INSERT INTO `mos_core_acl_groups_aro_map` VALUES (20,'',63);
    and sampledata.sql into the newly created db. - these files are in the sql folder of the zip file.

6. Rename the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess if you wish to use SEF URL's

7. configuration.php
    Edit the file configuration.php.dist and modify the required fields. These include website title, path, time offset and many other settings. Most important are the databse user/pass etc. Ensure you enable SEF URL's if you renamed htaccess. 1 is on 0 is off.
    Save the file as configuration.php and upload. Make sure you CHMOD this file to the correct settings as specified in the install file.

8. If everything goes according to plan your site should now be operational at www.yourdomain.com. You can login to the admin back-end by going to www.yourdomain.com/administrator
    Username: admin
    Pass: admin
    be sure to change this ASAP in usermanager

You now have a working Mambo site.. the options are now unlimited.

An excellent resource is www.mamboportal.com

BTW I am in no way affiliated with Mambo (wish I was) I have used it extensively and feel it is an excellent product that more and more people should look into.

<<CL Edit: Edited to include link to How-To CHMOD>>
    Last edited by Akash; 01-20-2004 at 05:22 PM.

Why not just use the installer it comes with or does it not have one?

Erm

Im pretty sure they have an install file :p

some scripts done have them
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Thanks!

This is awesome. I hope they find a vBulletin 3.0 intergration soon.
    Chris

You can always load it in an iFrame using the 'wrapper' module...
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

Whats the difference in mamboserver and mamboportal? I've checked both websites for demo's and/or screenshots and can't find anything.

They are the same. However mamboportal.com is not the main development site. It is an excellent resource though.

Main site: www.mamboserver.com
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

Well... the latest deluxe version of Fantastico now comes with a Mambo 'one click' install.

Just wanted to let those interested know...
    Last edited by xyzulu; 02-26-2004 at 04:21 PM.
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

Anyone tried the Mambo/Fantastico installation?

Thanks!

yes i have works very well

thanks xeon! then it's just the matter of getting fantastico to work with my new sm box and i'll give it a spin

i tried the program
    but i still prefered front page

Yeah I use Mambo with Fantastico install, Love it!

Important note:
    The fantastico install of Mambo contains many security holes and needs to be manually updated. You can download the latest version at www.mamboserver.com

It is imperative that you do.....
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

Have anybody used MamboServer for their webhosting business? I'd like to see some examples (and motivations how to integrate the whois.cart() to the mambo-based website. I am thinking of using the IFRAME module but I was wondering if there are better solutions.

its not that hard im a noob to it and i got it

I was going to use this for one of my sites. Personally, I don't like it. I don't think their features measure up to par compared to some of the other CMS out there. I also don't think it's easily customizable. I spent quite some time changing a template and couldn't get it to look right.,
    - Chris
    c.vargo@usa.net
    www.totalmindblow.com
    www.theundergroundfiles.com

For me... I like towrite my own code and stufff... but a lot of people are using mambo... I see lot's of projects on freelancer website like customizing mamboo and so on...