Thread: gaming servers

gaming servers

I have a couple of questions, i have some traffic to which i want to reward these gaming servers/slots. so i have a few questions :

1) am i correct abt this : each game has a server and various diff games can be installed on the box ?

2) why is it that everywhere in have to buy atleast 8 slots?

3) each slot means 1 time play or the whole month?

4) if i buy 8 slot pack, can i give each to 8 diff persons who doesn't know each other?

5) can you recomend me to any company which will manage the box completely incase i need a lot of slots and i opt to get a box instead of buying slots?

thanks for your time, i am not sure if those questions makes sense, i myself am confused never been into gaming

thanks,
    srik

1. sounds somewhat correct
    2. to offset payment processing fees
    3. depends on the company, some rent per month others per hour.
    4. You can enforce reserved slots using various server plugins for various games.
    5. server wizards might manage your box for you.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

thank you kevin,

couple more questions...

so if a person buys the minimum pack of 8 slots, he can either play 1 game for 8 months or 8 games for month?

thanks,
    srik

A "slot" is a potential player on the server. So, if a server has 8 slots, then a maximum of 8 players can play simultaneously.

For example, I can get an 8-slot server for $x per month.

Quote Originally Posted by srik79
    thank you kevin,

couple more questions...

so if a person buys the minimum pack of 8 slots, he can either play 1 game for 8 months or 8 games for month?

thanks,
    srik

If you really don't know anything about gaming I would advise you to reconsider getting into the business. Game server clients usually have "high" standards and expect you to be extremely knowledgeable in whatever game you're hosting them, or you should at least inquire about getting a job at a well set GSP so you know what you're getting into at least and get some experience under your belt.

Quote Originally Posted by HG-Daniel
    If you really don't know anything about gaming I would advise you to reconsider getting into the business. Game server clients usually have "high" standards and expect you to be extremely knowledgeable in whatever game you're hosting them, or you should at least inquire about getting a job at a well set GSP so you know what you're getting into at least and get some experience under your belt.
    umm i never said i want to get into game hosting business

Quote Originally Posted by srik79
    umm i never said i want to get into game hosting business
    Oh sorry! I just assumed you were thinking about starting your own company

Game server hosting is a dying business model, not a growing one. Wrong forum

The growing model is providing game support services to dedicated server customers, not hosting the apps. The economics of doing so rarely make sense anymore.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

HG-Daniel what took you so long to release your new site?

Quote Originally Posted by Algerino
    HG-Daniel what took you so long to release your new site?
    It sure is pretty sexy....great job on it!

Quote Originally Posted by innova
    Game server hosting is a dying business model, not a growing one. Wrong forum

The growing model is providing game support services to dedicated server customers, not hosting the apps. The economics of doing so rarely make sense anymore.
    There should be a dying market forum then

It took so long because of unreliable coders who backed out at the last second