Linux vs Windows Hosting

How do Windows Servers stack up to Linux these days for hosting web content as far as stability and security? I know Linux based sites get hacked due to vulnerable scripts and such but a Windows server just scares me.

Linux is pretty safe. I know that windows is typically more expensive because they have to pay for the software.
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - Jackson@vpsforme.com

They've come a long way. You can run just about anything on a Windows server that you can on a Linux server these days. Even if you don't specifically write ASP/ASP.NET scripts.

We run both Windows and Linux servers and the differences I've seen between them are:

- Linux has more features and things tend to work out of the box more quickly
    - Windows is more stable and rarely do you ever have to deal with any sort of load or abuse issues. However, it is more nit picky and requires a lot more nitty gritty work to get things to work properly sometimes.

Ultimately, they're both viable solutions. I would just pick the one that works best for you.

IIS7 is really like taking the best of Apache and best of IIS6, and putting into a well-working server. If you want IIS7 to be even more Apache-like, then there are a couple of low-resource plugins that will do it (add .htaccess support or cache FastCGI PHP, for example).

Linus is open source (not to be confused with "free", because it's not free to operate), often requires less resources, and is in more widespread use to small clients and individuals. That's really all it has going for it. Outdated ideas like "more secure, more stable" etc haven't been true for several years now.

It also helps to use a good Windows host that knows Windows. This is why I use EuroVPS for all of my Windows hosting needs. -- they're quite excellent at it.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    How do Windows Servers stack up to Linux these days for hosting web content as far as stability and security? I know Linux based sites get hacked due to vulnerable scripts and such but a Windows server just scares me.
    I have to admit that Windows 2008 R2 is actually really solid. It is leaps and bounds better than the old Windows NT4 and Windows 2000 days. But don't use it if it scares you. If you are more comfortable with Linux, just keep using Linux.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    It doesn't matter what system is below the script (Windows or Linux) ... if the script is insecure then it's still going to end up compromised.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.