* Hosting-Unlimited

I've been a customer of Hosting-Unlimited for 6 months and all I can say is they are not all the cracked up to be! I was recommended them by a number of friends who have accounts with them and everything started off ok.

Their prices are resonable (who would complain at £22.95 for the year!) and there uptime is always good (99% and above) but my major problem is there support department!

All the problems started when I wanted a simply nameserver change which involves rasing a support ticket - most other hosts I know allow their clients to make the changes themselves. From start to end it took 3 days of tickets backwards and forwards to their support department arguing that changes to the namservers on my domain would show up on the Nominet WHOIS database within 5 minutes and not 24-48 hrs as I was being quoted (someone doesn't understand what propogation is!!). This continued and they then come back to me and say they can't change the namservers because Nominet are rejecting them. It turns out that they are being rejcted becasue the are not being submitted correctly by HU!

All was then fine for a couple of months until the other day when my account is suspended for a serious breach of the T&C. I recieved no notice of this suspension and after conatct with senior members of staff it turns out to be a mistake and they have no record of the suspension! Oh and I have never recieved an apology for suspending my service just because they can't do their job correctly!

Their support department falls short of what it should be - strange for a company that boasts 24hrs support and all tickets answered within 60 minutes (that doens't guarentee a resoloution with 60 minutes cause all that is done is the ticket is passed onto someone else so they meet their promise). The attitude of the senior management is something to be desired as well so all in all I would not recommened them as a host! The price doesn't reflect the after-sales service.

Has anybody else had problems with HU??

All I can say is that when you pay such a low price, you shouldn't expect any support at all, even if it is advertised. Regardless of what they say, there is no way a host can offer hosting and support for that price.

If I was you, I would switch to a new host!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

All ready done it!

My experience of dealing with HU has been nothing short of harrowing.

They have no clue who is doing what within their organisation and when you question them about their actions you get an email from their technician telling you that it's his company to do what he wants with.

As with itsnotaproblem I have experience of them banning accounts for no reason, and again when questions you simply get a 'it's our company' or 'you broke the T&C's' when in fact you haven't.

My advice to anyone considering them would be to stay well clear of Hosting Unlimited.

It is always a good idea to avoid hosts that offer unlimited. I guess this holds true for a host with the name unlimited in it

I wish you best of luck in your search elsewhere.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Yes, as good as it sounds, unlimited is indeed a myth!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

You pay basicly nothing you get carp you want a good host you have to pay $$ to get one.

hi
    you do pay less for unlimited hosting and you do get bad service for that.So i think you do have to find a better host.Just specify your requirment and you can get cheap and reliable hosting without any problems.

all the best

You get what you pay for!

Although I cannot find the 22.95/per year plan anywhere on their website?

It is http://www.hosting-unlimited.net/ or do I have the wrong url?

for small sites, a reasonable price for which you can expect decent level of support would be the same as a price for the largest and the best pizza in town. Of course, never ever buy a domain name and hosting plan from the same company if they have cheap prices.

It basic overselling.
    There is probably one or two people behind this whole company. My advice: stay away from them.

There is probably one or two people behind this whole company. My advice: stay away from them.
    Why assume such a thing? Why give such unequivocal advice when you have no experience with them?

Generally that is true, but without knowing the exact details of the offer we can't really judge anything. 23 pounds is about 40 dollars, and there are hosts out there that offer good (though quite limited in features) hosting at similar price points.

It is http://www.hosting-unlimited.net/ or do I have the wrong url?
    Good observation WN-Ali.

I just took a quick look at that UR: and there is a £22.95 pa plan at http://www.hosting-unlimited.net/standard.php
    Mick Beeby
    www.reyaltec.com - Quality Helm Dedicated, Reseller & Shared Windows 2003 Hosting. UK & US based servers.
    www.aspbite.com - Modular ASP Content Management System

Quote Originally Posted by ONeal
    There is probably one or two people behind this whole company. My advice: stay away from them
    Many one or two person companies do very well - and yes it's a 2 person setup!

Quote Originally Posted by
    generouswebhostin
    It is always a good idea to avoid hosts that offer unlimited. I guess this holds true for a host with the name unlimited in it
    None of the packages are 'unlimited' - it just happens to be the name

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali

It does exist as mjb-is pointed out. It is true you get what you pay for and I have certainly learnt that with HU. Infact another friend of mine has one of their more expensive packages and has pointed out to me that there charges for additional space and bandwidth far exceed any other host he has come across in the past - and they don't quote them on the website - they also don't seem to like giving out such information 'pre-sale'

Quote Originally Posted by mynameweb
    All I can say is that when you pay such a low price, you shouldn't expect any support at all, even if it is advertised. Regardless of what they say, there is no way a host can offer hosting and support for that price.

If I was you, I would switch to a new host!

So are you saying that a host that makes rediculous offers like 15gigs of space and 300gigs of bandwidth and 24/7 support for $3.95 per month isnt to be taken seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by ResellersHQ
    So are you saying that a host that makes rediculous offers like 15gigs of space and 300gigs of bandwidth and 24/7 support for $3.95 per month isnt to be taken seriously?
    I would have serious doubts and taken such a service seriously. There is no way such a host (that must be overselling if it's quoting figures like 300gigs of bandwidth) can sustain a reliable service for such a low figure per month. It's almost as bad as the hosts that quote 'unlimited' space/bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotaproblem
    I would have serious doubts and taken such a service seriously. There is no way such a host (that must be overselling if it's quoting figures like 300gigs of bandwidth) can sustain a reliable service for such a low figure per month. It's almost as bad as the hosts that quote 'unlimited' space/bandwidth.

I have to totally agree with you. The only thing hosts like that do is trash the market.

HU are crap. I had a terrible time with them. There servers (pluto iirc) was down more than it was up, and the cpu was always 2+, running out of space on /usr etc.

When I questioned it on the forums, it was deleted and i got a real b1tch mail from Dougie, one dude who doesnt understand customer service.

I was then asked to leave which i did.

Then there was the issue of the entire support department disappeared for a week. How did they eventually catch up on the backlog, why delete it of course.

Some people had ongoing issues for weeks that were simple fixes, but never got done.

If you want a good host, i can whole heartedly recommend nethosted.co.uk, they are a bit pricer, but they really are top notch, and Andrew really does care about his customers He and his staff are a whole different, and superior league to HU

Stu

Dougie seems to be famous for that. I sent him an e-mail outling the problems I had with the support department and their failure to understand what it was I wanted to do with my account.

He ripped the e-mail to pieces and totally disagreed with every one of my statments but when a support department doesn't know the difference between propogation and changes to DNS information and how frequenntly the Nominet WHOIS database is updated that doesn't say much for the department.

Well, it seems like this thread opened a whole Pandora's box of complaints from customers of that company.... interesting how a thread can have these side-effects.

I am adding the comment that it seems very improbable that any company can actually offer all the features I saw above ^ , PLUS decent customer service, at that price....
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Thats so true Nadabrahma. One of the first things that attracted me was their support policy and the fact that any issues rasied will be dealt with within 1 hour - the actually quote this on their forums:

Any technical support ticket raised will be dealt with within one hour of being submitted, no matter what time of day it is.

What I later discovered is that means they will reply to the ticket within one hour it doesn't get your problem solved within 1 hour - that could be 3 days or 3 weeks which I think is somewhat mis-leading.