CoreNetworks & bandwidth limitation

Hi everybody,

My server with CoreNetworks works fine but I noticed a very strange problem. At a specific time, whenever the download bandwidth increases, the upload transfer rate decreases and vice versa. I verified this by letting a group of people download some files from the server and then I tried to test the upload speed and it was at 4 KB/s. When I stopped the Apache server, the upload rate increases immediately to something above 30 KB/s. I tested this from different Internet connections and different regions.

I have several other servers with different ISPs. However, I have never faced this problem with any of them.

I contacted their support but they didnt help on this regard. So, what do you think?

Many thanks

Their bandwidth is being too overselled (?)

Caronet-Rob I am surprised you would even suggest that without knowing their network setup and more importantly, you ignore the obvious.

The server card is set to half duplex.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    Caronet-Rob I am surprised you would even suggest that without knowing their network setup and more importantly, you ignore the obvious.

Can I change it to full duplex? or should I contact them to do it? or I should go to another ISP ?

Thank you

Their support (Andrew) just replied to me and told me that all of their server are set to full duplex!

That's why I added that (?) mark. Also, even half duplex doesn't give those results for me... And I just tested that on over 6 servers (5 different datacenters).

Looking at the above post, that doesn't seem to be the problem anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bueno View Post
    Their support (Andrew) just replied to me and told me that all of their server are set to full duplex!

If they normally set all of their servers to full duplex it's possible that your server just didn't get set -- verify that your server is in fact set to full duplex.

If your server is set to full duplex, ask them to verify that the switch port you're connected to has autonegotiation turned off and is forced to full duplex.

Alternatively, you could try switching your server to autonegotiation and see if the problem clears up (that would indicate their switch port is still set for auto, not forced).
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

I also have a server there, and have been able to pull close to the full 10mbps downloading, not sure about uploading.

Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/zip]
    Saving to: `100MB-testfile.zip.1'

100%[=======================================>] 104,857,600 1.12M/s in 89s

19:48:10 (1.12 MB/s) - `100MB-testfile.zip.1' saved [104857600/104857600]

Quote Originally Posted by bueno View Post
    Ask them to double check yours as msherman has outlined. The symptoms are very classic symptoms for something along the way being half duplex or some other speed / setting mismatch between NIC and switch.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Ask them to double check yours as msherman has outlined. The symptoms are very classic symptoms for something along the way being half duplex or some other speed / setting mismatch between NIC and switch.
    Just wanted to post an update for clarification. The upload speed was
    slowing down because the outbound bandwidth was fully saturated at
    his port speed. Even uploads need to get their ACK packets back, and
    the slower they are received, the slower the upload will proceed.

Thanks for the update. From his original post, It never occurred to me that he would be maxing out his local port speed.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

His 30kbps full duplex port? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by jwr View Post
    His 30kbps full duplex port? ;P
    no, 10Mbps (full duplex) port. I believe the issue has been resolved with a requested upgrade to 100Mbps port.