Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guestt Guest

Talking

Im on a Dedicated RaQ3 now wich i doin't like it's ways to slow and the stats are bad. I would like to get away from cobalts and get a real server the problem is that i don't know how to setup a server so i guess i would need a manged server (im not even sure what that is) from what i've seen that is very costly. I would like to find a host that would setup everything for me DNS name server e-mail etc on the server.

Basically i want a dedicated server (not a raq) and have the host treat it like it's virtual server buy setting up the dns etc for me since i have no clue as to how and i don't want to try it myself because a mistake could be costly.

I need 40 MB of disk storage cgi 24/7 FTP 1 POP account 99% up time good stats tracker and 50GB of bandwidth and that's it i don't need my MySQL or anything so where could i find such a thing for under 150 or is it not possible. I guess im asking for a manged dedicated server since i don't know how to set things up.

Maybe i can do virtual hosting? Only place that comes close to what i need is tera-byte i aked them they said i need dedicated. What do you guys think i should do any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hmmmm... I think with 50GB, you're probably asking for too much. You'd probably end up having to go dedicated, unfortunately.... And no, I don't like your chances of getting a $99/month (non-RaQ3) managed d-server either..
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

what sort of site you got?. that would need its own dedicated server?.

Guestt Guest
    celebs site (pics, bios) what exactly is a manged dedicated server? I never do anything to my raq what am i souposed to be doing? no one uses it but me all i do is log in and make sure all the lights are green and check the bandwidth wich it dosent track right.

you need a dedicated server, but there is no way you're going to get a managed server for under $200. I have a server at Dialtoneinternet.com and it has been great. When you get it everything is setup (dns, apache, sendmail, etc...) and it comes with a basic control panel that let's you do many common admin tasks.

Guestt Guest
    what is a manged dedicaed server? I wouldn't need somthing like that for my kind of site would i.

A managed dedicater server is just your own server with someone else doing all the administration.

Wink This Might Do.....

I hate to mention these guys since they had such a bad rap a while back but they have a package that might work for you. Take a look at the max package. They claim they only put 25 accounts on a server with this package.

http://www.burst.net/hosting/linux.shtml
    "Windows has detected the mouse has moved, Please restart your system
    for changes to take effect."

Guestt Guest
    hmmm 50000MB= 50GB? that looks great with 25 other accounts on the server anyone here ever used them? I wonder if anyone else offers something like that.

Originally posted by Guestt
    Im on a Dedicated RaQ3 now wich i doin't like it's ways to slow and the stats are bad.
    There is something wrong. The site is big, but doesn't sound that big. Why is the RaQ slow? Who do you have it with? What is the connection? How much ram does it have? Which RaQ? Do you have webalizer installed?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Guestt Guest
    yes it has webalizer 130 but it dosent work same goes for the raq3 bandwidth stats it says i've used 5gb for this month wich is way off i get 30,000 to 50 page views a day. its a raq3 64mb ram.

RAQ performance and stats

The RAQ stats are a bit disapointing... However I've never seen a performance problem from them assumeing that you give them plenty of RAM.
    Are you running intershop or chilli soft ASP? Both tend to slow the RAQ down considerably(sp) I'm guessing because they consume almost all available RAM and force the server to swap out to disk.
    If you could include a the output from a ps/ax when it's slow and a free maybe we could figure out what's causeing it.
    As to webalizer I love it :-), had some initial teething problems geting it to work with FP but it seemed to behave well. Did you install from the pkg file or rpm?

Sam

Guestt, your speed problem is most likely due to the fact that you only have 64megs of ram. Have you been monitoring you swap partition to see how big your swap file is? Chances are you need to up the ram to 256 megs and you'll notice a huge performance increase.

Well you forgot to let us know about connection and provider which might tell us more about the problem, but regardless of all that, as everyone said, add ram to 256 or 512. If the connection is fast then this, most likely, is your problem.

• Chicken

Guestt Guest
    swap partition i have no idea of what that is. Im not runing anything but HTML pages and some cgi the highest i'ver ever seen the CPU usage is 0.40 at my peak hours is that high? average is at 0.08 so i dont think i need more ram?

Im with catalog.com and they dont seem to answer mail no matter which e-mail address i send it to i guess they dont like my questions. I got webalizer from a pkg file from cobalts site it worked for a day and that was it and that was a month ago.

Why dosent the raqs bandwidth read right? It only says 5GB for the month, i know better i've been with alot of virtual hots and left them because i use 30+GB a month
    they never kicked me off for using to much CPU i left because they wanted $5 or more for all that bandwidth i used
    and most only come with 10 or 15GB so it was cheaper for me to get a dedicated server.

Load averages do not accurately indicate whether or not you need more ram. It reflects how busy your cpu is. From the numbers you posted, your cpu is not being pushed very hard at all, which indicates a ram deficiency if your server is slow.

This will start Top which will give you accurate informattion with regards to the resources on your server. You should see a line that starts with the word "Swap". The first number is the size of your swap partition and the next number is how much of your swap partition that is being used.

You can never have too much ram but you can definitely not have enough. RAM is the key to running a fast server. It doesn't matter if you get a brand new Pentium III 700, if you're going to only have 64 megs of ram in it, it's going to be slow.

Guestt Guest
    If it matters my index page is only 8kb with a 20kb pic of a celeb on it and all the other HTML pages are 3kb with 14 thumb nails on a page with the average thumb nail size being 8kb and of course each thumb nail links to a HTML page thats 4kb with the regular size image being anywhere where from 20kb to 240kb the bigest file on my site is 240kb

Now if i get 40,000+ page views a day what do you think my bandwidth would be for a month the raq says 5GB for this month.

pageviews are tracked buy hitbox and my sponser.

Guestt Guest
    Can someone tell me how to telnet then so i can look? I did it once before but dont rember how i know theres a program on my computer that i used last time but dont remember what it was.

Guestt Guest
    what should this Swap file say anyway?

• Chicken

Guestt Guest
    ok i figured that out it said

131536k av 9584k used 121952k free

now what does that mean because i have no idea?

Thumbs up Cheap Dedicated Hosting

I did a search of this forum and found this thread that might give you an option other than dedicated...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...?threadid=1614

hope this helps

Your swap file is 10 megs in size. This means that your server is using the hard drive as "Virtual Memory" because it has run out of actual RAM. I would upgrade your RAM and you will definitely see a difference in speed. 10 meg swap file is a sign for a RAM upgrade.

Guestt Guest
    tabernack: how much more ram do you think i would need? What can i do to reduce the size of swap file use less cgi i assume or is it just to many hits to the site? Is this swap file the reasion webalizer dosent work at all and the raqs stats of how much bandwidth i use is so far off.

I really don't have the money to add more ram or else i would are you sure thats what the problem is.

thanks for the info

The amount of ram would not affect the statistics program your using. The amount of ram will most definitely affect the speed that your server can deliver html pages though.

I can't guarantee that adding ram will solve all your problems but it is most definitely a "bottleneck" for your server to perform optimally. If you're pushing 30+ gigs per month, and are getting as many hits as you say you are, then you need more than 64 megs of ram, period.

You should contact cobalt or maybe Chicken can help answer some questions about the Cobalt stats program. I don't know anything about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast