Thread: Build a 1U

Build a 1U

I want to build a 1U server from my current server (small-mid size tower).

Besides the 1U casing, how is it different from those normal servers? What are the things I should be aware of?

Any tutorials on how to build a 1U?

Thanks in advance

nothing different just less space to work with ... Good Luck.

Only other thing you'd need to worry about is cooling, a stock CPU cooler probably won't fit.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Don't the fans come with the 1U casing? Usually ships with a row of fans that are funneled in towards the CPU area? Of course depending on where you get the 1U box from, that may be an option at an extra cost. And you need to have a heatsink that is small enough to snap on top of the CPU(s) without obstructing the cover. A lot easier to buy the whole damn thing
    | Priority support (Since July 2001) | 99.9%+ uptime (Alertra stats available) |
    | Dual Xeon servers at local data center | Premium PEER1 bandwidth |
    | Visit us today | www.webulex.com |

I read an article about someone building their own 1U at home (even the case) in a weekend, it was on slashdot, search there. As well, especially for cooling/power purposes, I recommend looking into the Mini-ITX form factor. The boards are 17cmx17cm and run very cool using ~15w.

>nothing different just less space to work with
    I've seen pictures of opened 1U server with the components, but I'm not familar with how they fix that up. How do the people who fixes these stuffs know how to build them?

>Don't the fans come with the 1U casing?
    I thought they came with the cooler and power supply(no fan in there?), hmm must check before buying the casing.

>A lot easier to buy the whole damn thing
    If I can, I would. Asked around my place and they seem to cost much more (~$300) and gave louser components for the whole system.

>it was on slashdot, search there
    checking now...

I've also read about some casing specific like for pentium 4, only some motherboards are suitable, fixing 2 hard drives instead of 1, PCI riser card, ..
    Last edited by blythe; 03-07-2004 at 09:00 AM.

Originally posted by blythe
    Any tutorials on how to build a 1U?
    This is an *old* article (about 2 years old), but luckily the basics of building a server haven't changed, they build it in a 2U rack enclosure, but you still get the general idea...

http://www.pchardware.ro/Reviews/review.php?id=162

It might help you, it might not...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

If you are using a hotter processor, cooling is the big thing you want to focus on. Obviously, you will need a 1U power supply (your big ole ATX power supply won't fit). Dual Xeons for example have not been offered in 1U until SuperMicro came up with an adequate cooling design. If you are building from desktop parts, you may end up with some heat build-up problems based on how the mobo sits in the case and whether it or other components interfere with cooling.
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com

Dual Xeons for example have not been offered in 1U until SuperMicro came up with an adequate cooling design
    Not mass produced, no.

Wanted to point out that you dont need to rely on supermicro to build an adequate dual Xeon in 1U.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

you will need a special 1U fan which you will want to be all copper, you will also want to research the thermal characteristics of your CPU.

there is a current article about it @ www.tomshardware.com

Im trying to build one myself, its a 1u rackmount, but i wasnt really sure if everything will be able to fit, the height seems too small...
    u guys think a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with the regular heatsink and fan would fit in this?
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...138-006&depa=1

This is cool
    We need to have a list of motherboards(normal & serverboards) that can fit into 1U units.

Further point to note, are they able to withstand 24/7 running.

I would always buy a CPU fan and heatsink made specifically for the 1u environment, it may cost $30+ but it'll be worth it, and should be copper. You'll need the CPU to stay cool, that's by far the biggest worry in a 1u case. You'll also need adequat cross flow from other fans as well.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

You need a good cooling system for your 1U server. Most rackmountable chassis on the market has poorly designed ventilation system in them. You need to pay more attention on CPU cooling system when selecting a 1U chassis.

I found a good 1U installation tutorial on Rackmount.com¡¦s website.

http://www.rackmount.com/Rackmt/Tutorial/1UTutorial.htm

Very interesting stuffs!

Cool
    Just what I needed before I send my server in the mail to a co-locatior!
    thanks for the links.

Anyone have any recomendation for a chassis supplyer?