How Fast Is 1mbps? 2mbps? 3mbps? 4mbps?

Can someone please try to explain this..

how long would it take to download a 10mb file on a 1mbps connection? , on a 2mbps connection? , on a 3mbps connection?? etc....

Im about to get a unmetered 4mbps bandwidth but i need to know how fast or how much users it can handle (streaming music)..

thanks

There are 1000 bits in a kilobit and 1000 kilobits in a megabit.

Therefore, there are 1 million bits in a megabit.

The conversion from bytes to bits works like this, and beware, this is long handed...

1 byte (B) = 8 bits (b)

Since we are dealing in 1 million bytes or bits ( mega ) we will apply the same conversion.

10 megabytes = 80 megabits

A 1 megabit per second connection can transfer 60 megabits in a minute and 80 megabits in 1 minute and 20 seconds.

Since 10 Megabytes is 80 megabits, we can transfer 10 megabytes over a 1 megabit connection in 1 minute and 20 seconds.

This of course does not factor in anything but the pure math. This leaves out network overhead, distance, the speed of
    the opposite connection, etc

Now, save yourself some time and use a calculator :-)

http://www.easycalculation.com/bandwidth-calculator.php

To equate this to your 4 megabit connection, 4 megabits is 4000 kilobits so you can handle approx. ( 31.25 ) 128 kilobit streams.
    Again, this doesn't factor in anything but the speed rating.
    Solar VPS The Best Price to Performance Ratio In Cloud and VPS Hosting
    e: sales@solarvps.com
    The SolarSystem - On Demand VM Creation, DNS Control and more.
    Speed Test: speed.fortressitx.com

so MBPS means

Mega Bytes or bits? Per Second

Quote Originally Posted by Aaton35
    There are 1000 bits in a kilobit and 1000 kilobits in a megabit.

Therefore, there are 1 million bits in a megabit.

The conversion from bytes to bits works like this, and beware, this is long handed...

1 byte (B) = 8 bits (b)

Since we are dealing in 1 million bytes or bits ( mega ) we will apply the same conversion.

10 megabytes = 80 megabits

A 1 megabit per second connection can transfer 60 megabits in a minute and 80 megabits in 1 minute and 20 seconds.

Since 10 Megabytes is 80 megabits, we can transfer 10 megabytes over a 1 megabit connection in 1 minute and 20 seconds.

This of course does not factor in anything but the pure math. This leaves out network overhead, distance, the speed of
    the opposite connection, etc

Now, save yourself some time and use a calculator :-)

http://www.easycalculation.com/bandwidth-calculator.php

To equate this to your 4 megabit connection, 4 megabits is 4000 kilobits so you can handle approx. ( 31.25 ) 128 kilobit streams.
    Again, this doesn't factor in anything but the speed rating.

Per my last post:

1 byte (B) = 8 bits (b)

Capital B = byte so you would write a megabyte as "MB" and a megabit as "mb" or "Mb". Lower case "b" means bit.

Data rates are almost always advertised in bits, not bytes.
    Solar VPS The Best Price to Performance Ratio In Cloud and VPS Hosting
    e: sales@solarvps.com
    The SolarSystem - On Demand VM Creation, DNS Control and more.
    Speed Test: speed.fortressitx.com

How much are you going to pay for that?

You can transfer about 330GB/month per mbit.

so if you transfer at full capacity, for a full month, you will use about 1320 GB

Quote Originally Posted by IllustriousCube
    How much are you going to pay for that?

You can transfer about 330GB/month per mbit.

so if you transfer at full capacity, for a full month, you will use about 1320 GB

Its Unmetered 4mbps and i think its just below $80

Quote Originally Posted by Aaton35
    Per my last post:

1 byte (B) = 8 bits (b)

Capital B = byte so you would write a megabyte as "MB" and a megabit as "mb" or "Mb". Lower case "b" means bit.

Data rates are almost always advertised in bits, not bytes.
    thanks really helpful!!

One really needs at least 10mbps in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    One really needs at least 10mbps in my opinion.
    really.. I dont really know how fast is 4mbps or 10mbps until i try it for my self

I have a powervps right now. their cheapest plan is what I have and its pretty fast. So if 4mpbs is as fast as Powervps' cheapest plan then IM FINE

For streaming most people use 24kbps (using aac+) or 48kbps. So having 4mbit connection can handle:

24kbps = 170 listeners
    48kbps = 85 listeners

I have a powervps right now. their cheapest plan is what I have and its pretty fast. So if 4mpbs is as fast as Powervps' cheapest plan then IM FINE
    PowerVPS offers 100mbit burst.

4mbit will be significantly slower, not only because you won't achieve more than ~ 400-500kbyte/s (at best), but because it will decrease greatly as more users are downloading from your server. 100mbit leaves a lot of room and usually works great.

4mbits streaming music isn't very much unless you have less than 200 listeners at any time.

I agree with Layer0, for streaming, 100mbits burstable is a better option. It allows you headroom just in case you have additional listeners.

Another way to look at this situation:

4mbps "unmetered" will pump about 1500MB per month outgoing at full strength.

If you get a "METERED" plan on a 100mbps connect that gives you 1500MB/2000MB per month (which is common) you'll get better headroom during rush hours and still push about the same MB per month.

Just be careful not to go over your allotted amount, you could pay big-time in overage charges. Make sure what their IN/OUT calculation is. Alot of Bandwith allocations include INCOMING and OUTGOING traffic in their 2000MB calculation.
    Allanon
    vBulletin, Invision, phpBB and Gallery2 enthusiast
    my current webhost: imountain.com -|-|-|- my dedicated server: CIhost.com -|-|-|- dump host: Canaca
    my picture gallery: http://borgclan.com/gallery2

Quote Originally Posted by allanon
    If you get a "METERED" plan on a 100mbps connect that gives you 1500MB/2000MB per month (which is common) you'll get better headroom during rush hours and still push about the same MB per month.
    uh... for a dedicated, sure. This is in the VPS forum. Most in the $80 price range will include 400-800MB.

Most people that are streaming are already setting in their server config a max number of listeners/watchers and therefore since they know exactly how many Mbit/s (or Kbit/s) they will require the 4Mbit un-metered will turn out to be a better value. The situation where this doesn't work out is for one time events, but for the typical streamer it allows the # of listeners to be a defined value without the variable of whether they will pay extra that month.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Oh darn, sorry guys, I'm browsing the VPS forum and didn't even realize it. Thought I was in the dedicated forum. My apologies.

You're right, VPS Matt, you don't get that kind of bandwith typically with VPS plans.
    Allanon
    vBulletin, Invision, phpBB and Gallery2 enthusiast
    my current webhost: imountain.com -|-|-|- my dedicated server: CIhost.com -|-|-|- dump host: Canaca
    my picture gallery: http://borgclan.com/gallery2

to be but really, speaking for your downloads and download speed you need to use streaming you need upload speed. but with 1 mbps line will be well

unless you plan to make your own streaming server for what you need for this high-rise.

1 mbps = 1024 kbps
    1 kbps = 1024 bytes
    1 byte = 8 bits

one music in MP3 = 128 kbs

Typically your shooting for around 10mbit of bandwidth. Any thing less is a little low for a busy site, any thing more you honestly won't utilize to its potential.

On average our VPS run 2mbit of actual usage, and dedicated boxes 20-30.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

1mbps/8 = 128kb/s
    10mb/128 = 80 sec
    FREE ISPmanager panel
    Advanced VPS hosting
    www.JoinVPS.com

Thanks for bumping a 3 year old thread...

* speed 1mbps , 2mbps speed info

Quote Originally Posted by treck33 View Post

how long would it take to download a 10mb file on a 1mbps connection? , on a 2mbps connection? , on a 3mbps connection?? etc....

Im about to get a unmetered 4mbps bandwidth but i need to know how fast or how much users it can handle (streaming music)..

thanks
    see the thing is i had 4mbps speed so my download speed was around 500kbps , that comes to almost 700mb download in 25minutes or 1gb in 1 hour with differential speed

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    For streaming most people use 24kbps (using aac+) or 48kbps. So having 4mbit connection can handle:

24kbps = 170 listeners
    48kbps = 85 listeners
    I'm listening to a 128kbps stream right now... Really, when it gets more crappy than 96kbps I'm out....

oh you, necromancers

Quote Originally Posted by treck33 View Post

thanks
    If you are getting 4mbps you might support streaming for different quantities of listeners. It all depends on the bitrate of your broadcast. If you do it at 128k - on 4mbps you are going to support about 4 listeners. If you broadcast with a bitrate of 32k you will support about 16.

Holly molli. Topic is 4 years of age. Ignore me ))
    Last edited by vds6; 12-13-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    VDS6.NET - Budget VDS/VPS in Netherlands and Italy with IPv4&IPv6 on board.

Why did you open up a 4 year old thread and reply in enormous text?
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.