Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Planning for your web site design

Some of the web sites are either design to "overkill", or it is just plain too dull. It is excited to build your own web site, and get it online initially. The adrenaline rush, excitement etc. But you need to plan what is your web site all about.
    Below are some guides, if you have other suggestion, please add it in this post too:

(a) Objective/ goal
    What are you trying to achieve? Are you selling a product online, or just a personal web site? Building a website is not a one step process, it need to be updated and change according to the needs and trends of the market. If you want the visitors to come back to your site regularly, you'll need to update your page. Havng a mailing list is a good idea to let the visitors know the changes on your web site, but no spamming.

(b) Target audience
    This where you anticipate which visitors will come to your site. If your site offers a service, make sure your site descibe it well. Offers a location map to your office, feedback form, FAQ page etc. If you have a site that targets the younger audience, it would be good to include some web templates that is modern, a product that the younger generation want etc.

If your site sells a product, offer a shopping cart and an online credit card processing form. It is a hassle at the end that the visitor need to bank in the money via bank just to purchase a product. I know that some of you are trying to sae on the processing fees, but believeme, it is not worth it. Try PayPal or other credit card merchants that charges low fees.

Lastly, make sure your site is fast to load, don't include too much Flash animation and graphics. Not all the visitors have a fast Internet connection. Too much pop up ads is certainly a no-no.
    Affordable, quality web hosting with fast customer support. Domain name search and registration service.

http://www.WegaOnline.com

The first thing I do is write down the key info points I want to appear on the home page. I then use pencil and paper to sketch out how I'd like the page to look and where to place the information logically and for best effect. Once I've got a plan that I'm happy with on paper, I put that design on the screen.

Atthescreen; I do the same with the customers I work with. I sketch it by hand.

I design on paper first as well... that is funny....

Some additional points:

1) Know your color wheel. Learn colors and how they relate to your business. No need in trying to be an artist, but taking an hour to learn about colors can help. Also, how colors look on different monitors...

2) Navigation.... make your navigation scheme easy to understand... make it consistent throughout your site.

3) If you sell goods, ensure you have: TOS, Privacy statement (how you will use emails/personal info), shipping statement (how you will ship/when/cost).

4) On that note, make your shipping scheme easy as possible. Better yet, have something setup so your customer can see how much shipping will cost without filling out an entire address…. Maybe only use the zip code or have flat-rate shipping.

5) Have a recommended products page… while your site should steer customers to your flagship product, the recommended products page should up sell additional products to them….

6) Have an about us page

7) Have a site map.

8) I could go on… lol…

Keep your homepage updated....

have a newsletter (for business, quarterly works or bi-monthly... don't be like one business I know and send one out twice a month... that is stupid).
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Hello Everyone ..

The greatest problems that web designers face now is the screen resolutions.
    Earlier the best sites were desinged for 800 X 600 now you have 1024 x and above.

For the New OS Vista Microsoft is recommending a 19" wide monitor ..

How do you thaink you will resolve the issue of sites apparing on different screen resolutions ?

Any idea .. and this problem will grow as we get new screen resolutions for your PC screen

-------------------------------
    T R U S T D N S

1024 resolution

about a year ago, i change my site resolution to 900px from 798. I my stats, i kept seeing an increased on 768x1024 users. now its going up agian to 1280x1024 i bet this is due to people getting bigger monitors and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    I design on paper first as well... that is funny....

Some additional points:

1) Know your color wheel. Learn colors and how they relate to your business. No need in trying to be an artist, but taking an hour to learn about colors can help. Also, how colors look on different monitors...

2) Navigation.... make your navigation scheme easy to understand... make it consistent throughout your site.

3) If you sell goods, ensure you have: TOS, Privacy statement (how you will use emails/personal info), shipping statement (how you will ship/when/cost).

4) On that note, make your shipping scheme easy as possible. Better yet, have something setup so your customer can see how much shipping will cost without filling out an entire address…. Maybe only use the zip code or have flat-rate shipping.

5) Have a recommended products page… while your site should steer customers to your flagship product, the recommended products page should up sell additional products to them….

6) Have an about us page

7) Have a site map.

8) I could go on… lol…

Keep your homepage updated....

have a newsletter (for business, quarterly works or bi-monthly... don't be like one business I know and send one out twice a month... that is stupid).
    these are very good tips especially the one about knowing your colors, it's always good to have colors on your website that work well with each other

I just recommended someone in another post to get a color wheel... about three minutes ago....

I also start on paper and put the layout on a wall... with all pages in the direction I would *like* for the customer to take.

One thing I suggest is not having too much text... or if you are going to have a lot of text, put the main points upfront -- the important stuff to make them stay and read further, if they want. A bunch of crap that looks "busy" with text will not get read.

Also, looking at the focus of site... does the readers eyes go to your text or do you place a busy-looking animated gif/flash to the left and throw them off....

Like the others recommend, keep things simple! Don't have too many variations of the same thing... simple shipping... simple navigation... simple bullets...

I also like having a FAQ page for those odd questions (plus a place to put a lot of text). An about us page is almost a requirement -- people actually read those since they want to know who they are doing business with... spend time there to put your message out... who you are and that you can be trusted. On that note, on the purchase page, ensure you tell them their info will be ecrypted and safe... have a privacy notice page... tell them you don't sell or trade data (emails/other info with other companies).

Main pages (IMO) = home (first page they see), products, faq, about us, purchase, contact, and privacy. Other pages... site map (keep it updated), links page (to your other sites lol), etc, etc....

Sure I missed a bunch...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

These are great tips guys I usually just plan it out on paper but i'm going to try some of these steps

Yeah, I use paper drawings as well to visualize the structure of the layout more. It helps keep flow in the design and gives it the planned out look that it should have. Good structure can be the difference between a bad and a good start, so I feel its really essential to get it down right away rather than find yourself redoing things later to make it structurally sound.

Smile Thanks

Thoser are great tips, it's will help me a lot.

Great points mentioned here. The first site that I ever designed was my own and I can certianly use some of these points to improve it. Please feel free to give me suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostu View Post
    Yeah, I use paper drawings as well to visualize the structure of the layout more. It helps keep flow in the design and gives it the planned out look that it should have. Good structure can be the difference between a bad and a good start, so I feel its really essential to get it down right away rather than find yourself redoing things later to make it structurally sound.
    Paper drawings are an excellent tool to plan a design structure. Some people don't believe it but it really makes a difference when you have your clear structure in front of your eyes and not only in your mind before you start any web work.
    This is my recommendation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostu View Post
    Paper drawings are an excellent tool to plan a design structure. Some people don't believe it but it really makes a difference when you have your clear structure in front of your eyes and not only in your mind before you start any web work.

This is my recommendation too.

Ease of naviation is also very important.
    Selling: W3BSPACE.com domain - please get in touch (see profile) to make offers!

I agree, drawing out the basic design on paper makes a large difference. I always make sure I have everything planned out before I even start putting things on the screen.

i enjoy a site that is less of content on one page trying to send you 1000 diff. specials and ideas all at one time and more of a "simple" frontpage.

Why Need A Good Web Development Team

Whether they are used as a marketing tools or for eCommerce business, Web sites are more than just an addition to the corporate presence. They are a necessity. In many instances, a site can make-or-break a company's image. Visitors want simple, yet interesting sites with appealing graphics and user interaction. However, if the design is too busy or the pages take too long to download, you will lose potential clients. This is why a good Web development team is crucial to your business. If your business uses its Web site as a marketing tool to present products and services, you may only need a static site that will be updated periodically. Your Web team may consist of a single skilled Web master. Just be careful of putting too much stock in one individual. A long-term absence could be catastrophic to the project. Other sites may require weekly, daily, and in some cases, up-to-the-minute updates requiring round the clock attention. This team may consist of multiple system administrators, Web application programmers, Web masters, and project managers.

For the sake of this article, a team compiled for a small to medium-sized company, I offer this scheme not as a rule, rather as a guide.

Reference: eximtrade.vn/developer/home/project.html

Thanks for your tips. Because i have started redesigning my site designarcade.com . I will keep these things in mind.

I start my designs as simple sketch on paper and then move to Adobe illustrator,
    draw rulers over my sketch, and most of the times make color selection before I even start doing some actual work.

Perform keyword research first if you want to be on Google's Top Ten List... and build your content based on the results of the keyword research.

A keyword research should be performed first before planning your website design. Know your target market and find the best keywords with high search volume but low number of competitors. Build your website around these keywords.

great tips

Planning for your web site design

Website design can be of different ways. It depends on the way you visualize it. Whether you draw it on paper or keep it in mind while design the site. The more u can be imaginative keeping all the aspects of SEO, design or development to its standard the better the design.

Cheers!
    ryan

Hire Flash Designer

I am planning to learn web-designing but have come to know that it requires much more creativity. Is it really true?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast