Question Subpages with more PR than main page?

Hi,

I'm having an interesting issue in my website.

Since the PR update, all my subpages have a higher PR than the main page of my site.
    Still, all backlinks direct to the main page, and it's the page with by far the most traffic.
    How this could be explained?

Example:

http://<<example.com>>/site/index.ph...acao-de-sites/ (PR 3)

http://<<example.com>> (PR 1)

Thank you,

Caio.
    Last edited by sirius; 02-09-2012 at 11:58 AM.

You have to understand the evaporation of PR. Your sub-pages did not have anywhere for the PR to go so they have more. What you can do is do internal linking and point the pages that have higher PR to your home page.

As Google use more than 200 parameters to rank a webpage in serp like this it uses some parameters to offer Page Rank to a webpage. Backlink is one important factor of these parameters. It may be that your sub-pages have good content, fast load time, easy navigation to placed links on it etc. and due to this, Subpages have more PR than Main page.

Quote Originally Posted by computegeek View Post
    What you can do is do internal linking and point the pages that have higher PR to your home page.
    I would agree with this. Your internal pages seem to have links to each other, but not to your home page.

Yes sometimes it happen.
    Couple of month ago i made a new site having PR 0.
    I made a post regarding Nokia N5 and i was amazed to see that post gpt PR2.
    So it may happens sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ozsubasi View Post
    I would agree with this. Your internal pages seem to have links to each other, but not to your home page.
    Exactly, the PR flow to the internal pages and if any of the pages pointed back to other parts of the internal pages then the page get a higher PR. If you have a page with more outbound links then it could have less PR.

However, Google is seriously looking into pages that are trying to hoard PR. They are looking for pages that link to high authority sites, like Facebook, Linked, Addthis, etc. Pages that are not linking out to high authority sites such as stated may get a high PR, but the search results may not be as expected.

Increase authority of your home page by creating more back links from high authority websites.

Quote Originally Posted by computegeek View Post
    However, Google is seriously looking into pages that are trying to hoard PR. They are looking for pages that link to high authority sites, like Facebook, Linked, Addthis, etc. Pages that are not linking out to high authority sites such as stated may get a high PR, but the search results may not be as expected.
    I'm not at all convinced about the likelihood of this, because it would be too easy to manipulate. Getting high authority inbound links isn't easy, which is exactly why Google gives value to them.
    But placing outbound links to them requires no effort at all and everyone could simply stick them all over their sites.
    Having said that, I don't think it hurts to have some of these links where they are in context. For example my business is largely between Turkey and the UK, and I have links to their embassies for those who want to clarify or verify information I have given.

Quote Originally Posted by spymobiles View Post
    Yes sometimes it happen.
    Couple of month ago i made a new site having PR 0.
    I made a post regarding Nokia N5 and i was amazed to see that post gpt PR2.
    So it may happens sometimes.
    The possible reason for this can be the post being of original and unique content. Did you have any backlinks also in that post?

Quote Originally Posted by benjohnsonfs View Post
    The possible reason for this can be the post being of original and unique content. Did you have any backlinks also in that post?
    PR was invented as (mainly) a measure of a page's "importance" based on the pages from other sites that linked to it. Since then Google has added many other algorithms to take other factors into account for SERP, but PR itself is not related to original and unique content.

It's possible if your subpage have a much links and traffic than main page (subpage must popular).

Quote Originally Posted by motorola4gatrix View Post
    It's possible if your subpage have a much links and traffic than main page (subpage must popular).
    Wrong, traffic has nothing to do with Page Rank. The inner pages can have a higher PR because the page itself may have no outbound to other pages on the site. There are 500 plus other factors why a page has PR, for example, I have a friend with a homepage of PR 2, but a deep inner page of PR 3. No links pointing to the PR 3 page, only the homepage, but we can only surmise that at that page the link structure and outbounds where determinate of getting a PR 3 deep inner page.

Sometimes PR boost for internal pages of the websites might be just a temporary issue and if you check out some forums threads, you will realize that many people have experienced that before. Reasons which can be mentioned might actually relate to some cases like when new fresh materials are added to the websites, their inner spots. Links too could be very important. For instance, some blogs posts win editorial links from other spots, and their admins might be totally unaware of their presence for a while.

Although your homepage seems to be the most important part of your domain online, but if you add some fresh and informative materials to your inner pages, after a whole they might get rewarded by Google through boost in PR and even when you check your hosting logs, you may notice that many people have visited them. Technically speaking, such a strategy is even recommended to be used and some expert bloggers are even promoting their internal pages rather than merely focusing on their index files. Your internal contents could also have won some links, and you may have not noticed this.

Lose out because of increasing your site

Quote Originally Posted by EstudioReverie View Post
    Hi,

I'm having an interesting issue in my website.

Since the PR update, all my subpages have a higher PR than the main page of my site.
    Still, all backlinks direct to the main page, and it's the page with by far the most traffic.
    How this could be explained?

Thank you,

Caio.
    hi
    you must check other websites that link your webasite

Quote Originally Posted by motorola4gatrix View Post
    No , says the back links pointing to the main page ( not internal pages).So there will be some problem.. may be the PR for internal pages due to its quality and home page BLs not calculated