Exclamation

Was wondering what could be other appropriate words for "RESELLER" that a web hosting company may desire to use on its website instead of the word "RESELLER" itself?

Yes... I personally feel there is nothing wrong with the word "RESELLER" really... but just wish to start a little brainstorming session for some better choices.

Learner

How about Distributers?

Translated

agent?

sorry, I tried to translate the word I found appropriate exactly from dutch to english.

does not sound friendly either.

How about one of these: vendor, provider, peddler, agent, dealer, merchandizer, merchant, broker, representative, envoy, distributor, trafficker, touter, monger, purveyor, supplier, carrier, or of course, Value Added Reseller?
    Carol Crespo
    HarrisMedia.com
    Small Business Web Hosting & Design

Wink ummm

Partner, Associate, Team Member .....

*G*

Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

Well why couldnt one use the term LOTS of big internet firms use?

VAR= Value Added Resellers
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

heheh Learner.. are you trying to register the domain naem?? ))) LOL

Try this learner http://VARHOST.com it should be available..
    http://dynastyhost.com -Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Plans
    Web Hosting Since 1999
    Toll Free 1-866-307-HOST

Originally posted by DynastyHost
    heheh Learner.. are you trying to register the domain naem?? ))) LOL

Try this learner http://VARHOST.com it should be available..

OOOOO.. man.. it is taken
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Originally posted by kunal
    OOOOO.. man.. it is taken
    How suprising is that? There can't be too many possible names with "host" in them left!

This is off-topic, but something I've been thinking about: consider the uninitiated business owner thinking that he or she needs a website. Does the word "host" even occur to that person? Or is it more "I need a place to put my website?" "How do I find a web server?" "Gotta find one of those internet companies to do my web site..."

Yet it seems like 90% of "hosting companies" have the word "host" in their name.

By the way, Carol, there are some funny choices there! I'm changing my site; No more "resellers welcome," I'm now saying "traffickers welcome!" And I've just registered "sitemongers.com!"

Smile

Hi DynastyHost,

No, I wasn't trying to book any domain name

Actually I am writing the text for a client's website. While doing so yesterday, I was just wondering what other good appropriate choices could perhaps be used.

SiteMonger?????!!!!!!!??????

You guys may give me a heart-attack one day!!!!!!!

Learner

[Edited by Learner on 09-29-2000 at 03:09 AM]

Originally posted by Carol
    How about one of these: vendor, provider, peddler, agent, dealer, merchandizer, merchant, broker, representative, envoy, distributor, trafficker, touter, monger, purveyor, supplier, carrier, or of course, Value Added Reseller?
    Did you break out the thesarus? I like monger. Welcome to mongerhost.com!
    Life is Minimum live it Maximum.

Thanks, JayC. "Traffickers welcome!" - now that's funny.

Yes, Mike, I got a little help from Roget's. I had more "reseller" alternatives, but I was merciful. However, since this thread is generating such brilliance as sitemongers.com and mongerhost.com, I'm going to go ahead and post the rest (but don't worry; this'll be it!):

Consociate, trader, champion, deputy, retailer, proxy, alter ego, chapman, front, mouthpiece, middleman, surrogate, delegate, underagent, pusher, sidekick, and in some cases - although I hope this one doesn’t apply to anyone here - accomplice.
    Carol Crespo
    HarrisMedia.com

As long as...

Traffickers welcome, as long as you dont attract the cops.

TheWingThing.

I understand the difficulty in coming up with an appropriate word for "RESELLER". I also peeked itno my thesaurus before I posted here... but wasn't satisfied with the strange sounding synonyms

That is why I decided to ask here in the forum for some good alternatives... which hasn't been posted till now

The best was VAR till now... because it wouldn't mean much to an average client. With hefty announcements as much as 50% off to resellers, I just wish to take precautions... if necessary.

Using the direct word RESELLER does have its inherent advantages too. Am having a hard time deciding on this issue. Seems like I will settle for RESELLER after all ie. leave the word unchanged... until I get a really meaningful alternative.

Let's continue the brainstorming, shall we... no more peeking into thesauruses please

Learner

I actually do not think reseller is a bad word for someone who wants to be one. It is direct and exactly explains the relationship between the parent company and the person.

But coming up with a term that a reseller can use to describe themselves to a potential or existing client I think is key ....

later

David
    Systematic Software
    david.iyoha@systware.com
    http://www.systware.com

Originally posted by Carol
    Consociate, trader, champion, deputy, retailer, proxy, alter ego, chapman, front, mouthpiece, middleman, surrogate, delegate, underagent, pusher, sidekick, and in some cases - although I hope this one doesn’t apply to anyone here - accomplice.
    I'm only surprised that the list doesn't contain one that seems obvious to me:

co-conspirator.

Smile

LOL, JayC!

Actually, throughout the time we've been reselling hosting, we've just presented ourselves as hosts. We've always told clients who asked that we sold space on other company's servers, but few of our clients asked. (We mainly host our design clients, but since we've been in business since 1996, there are quite a few of them.)

Further, because we've resold for a number of different companies, finding the best match for each client's particular needs, we didn't consider ourselves resellers of any one service in particular. Maybe hosting providers, hosting consultants?

Sorry if you didn't like my thesaurus-aided answer, Learner, but you did ask for brainstorming! I know some of the words were not actually useful, but sometimes one can find inspiration in that kind of thing. Although I concede, one might not be able to find that much inspiration in a term like "hosting pusher."
    Carol Crespo
    HarrisMedia.com

Thumbs up

Hey Carol I did quite like one you just posted...

HOSTING CONSULTANTS... hmmm !!!!!! Nice !!!!!! Sounds respectable too !!!!!!

Learner

Post Reseller

Site5 uses the term "Hosting Partners". Just a different way of saying it. Neither way is better... although "reseller" is definitely the most commonly used term, and recognized by almost everyone.

Matt
    mlightner@site5.com
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Reseller

When a reseller searches for a company to work with , they are searching (search-engines) for resellers or reselling. Another word they search for is partners+hosting.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Site5 uses the term "Hosting Partners".
    --------------------------------------------------

This is what the resellers are searching for. Everybody knows what it means and it sounds like two hosting companies working together.

We spend too much time on finding a solution to be transparant. The clients don't care, they just want to be save, and you also want them to be.

Re: Reseller

Yup Site5-Matt!!!!! HOSTING PARTNERS is another great choice, no doubt!!!!! I was actually hoping for suggestions like these when I began this thread.

Originally posted by Trijnie
    When a reseller searches for a company to work with , they are searching (search-engines) for resellers or reselling. Another word they search for is partners+hosting.

This is what the resellers are searching for.

Hi Trijnie,

Could you please elaborate how you know that resellers also often use the keywords "partners+hosting".

Your explanation could turn out to be a great eyeopener for me. Thanks.

Learner

[Edited by Learner on 10-01-2000 at 02:37 AM]

Smile Hello Learner

If you try to find a new host you can resell with through a search-engine, you will find a lot of companies that don't have a link "reseller(s)" but instead use "partners" for the resellers.

Trijnie

(Sorry for my bad english.)