What can i do if my host becomes unreachable?

hi there...

i have a server from a layeredtech reseller and i have been informed by one of their customer relation managers:
    This message is to notify you that your ticket has been updated.

Ticket ID: 1936015-4201031339

Last Post:
    ----------------------------------
    The head-quarters internet line went out because the whole city is having issues. As soon as it goes back up one of the techs will assist you. Sorry for the inconvience.

Xxxxx Xxxxx
    Director of Customer Relations

The reason why the line went out is a severe storm. Since they are totally localised (as in they dont have techs located around the world) there is no way i can contact them.

i dint care till the time my server was fine. then day before yesterday my server went down. i (needlessly) opened a ticket with my reseller and (as expected) it went unanswered.
    then, i decided to contact layeredtech directly and see what if they respond.

i was pleasently surprised to have the issue resolved within minutes! layeredtech support was responsive even though i was not their direct client. but the server went down again yesterday, i contacted LT again... they said:
    Hello,

The power supply on your server had failed so I replaced this, however, upon reboot of the machine, I am unable to get response from ping or ssh requests. in order to escalate this ticket, your reseller will need to contact our support team. Thank you.

Now i am waiting for my reseller to get back online... its been more than a day already and may be this 'downtime' will exceed a week (NOOOO!!!!!!!!)

what can i do in such a situation?

Hopefully your downtime doesn't exceed a week, let alone more then a day because that's already really pushing it... but I think the only option you have is to wait for your reseller.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

now i know why they cover this point in TOS!
    "uptime guarantee... bla bla... except circumstances beyond our control... bla bla..."

quick update: the reseller is OFF since march 2nd... i wonder what a mighty storm it was...

Do you have a backup of your data so incase you have to move you can do it without having to redo everything?

If not, ask LT to help you recover your files, hopefully they will be able to help you with this.

Looks like the reseller has run away.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Looks like the reseller has run away.
    That's jumping the gun, wouldn't you say? At the same time, I doubt LT will release the files to him as he isn't their direct client.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

OMG... never thought of my reseller running away...

i dont have a backup of all files (though i have the sql DBs backed up) ..

Quote Originally Posted by chillax
    OMG... never thought of my reseller running away...

i dont have a backup of all files (though i have the sql DBs backed up) ..
    Chillax,

Middlemen can become a hassle quite quickly as you can see.
    The good side of this is you can 'most likely' contact layeredtech again and see if you can become the direct contact for your server.

While it's not something they'd normally do, I'm certain in this case they'd hate to see you continue to incur further downtime.

Note: The above is only if it's 100% dedicated to you, if it's shared I'd say you're out of luck until the reseller responds.

Cool

Ah...the problems with resellers.
    Many are good, don't take me wrong, but all you have to do is look at the ads here and you can see many make it sound like anybody can get rich quick with a reseller account.
    Thus the % of those with issues like you have or those that just disappear or quit without notice taking people's money with them, (or get hooked up with a bad reseller provider and get burned themselves).
    That's the main reason we don't offer reseller accounts. We couldn't screen everyone who got one and if they turned out to be a "bad apple" their customers would be looking to us for help which depending on the situation we might or might not be able to provide.
    At least in your case it sounds like LT is trying to be helpful. That's a lot better than many of the horror stories we see here.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Chillax,

Middlemen can become a hassle quite quickly as you can see.
    The good side of this is you can 'most likely' contact layeredtech again and see if you can become the direct contact for your server.

While it's not something they'd normally do, I'm certain in this case they'd hate to see you continue to incur further downtime.

Note: The above is only if it's 100% dedicated to you, if it's shared I'd say you're out of luck until the reseller responds.
    ummm on second thoughts (and 10 second research) i feel the reseller is reliable (if not reputed) so he might not have run-away.
    A whois on his site tells me the domain is registered from past five years.. SSL is still valid for another 280 days..

As for what you say, i CAN NOT become a direct contact for LT.. i dont know anything about managing a server may be i have to wait for some more time and then look for some professional server mgmt and try to convince LT for making me a direct contact.
    Yea, the server is 100% dedicated to me.

Regarding the OP, you might want to wait for this "entire city" thing to calm down before looking thinking about moving. Give them the benefit of the doubt... most complaints of hosts involve not even getting a reason for being down.

But...
    Hello,

The power supply on your server had failed so I replaced this, however, upon reboot of the machine, I am unable to get response from ping or ssh requests. in order to escalate this ticket, your reseller will need to contact our support team. Thank you.
    NO redundancy? Ouch...

Good Luck!
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting • cPanel+Softaculous • Email Hosting • Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

Give them the benefit of the doubt...
    thats what i am doing

but its costing me dollars...

PS: emailed LT

sorry for consecutive posts.
    Got a reply from LT:

Thank you for your recent Layered Tech Sales inquiry. I am very sorry but at this time, we will not be transferring any servers from XXXXXX. For more information please correspond with XXXXXX himself.

and thats the irony! i cant contact him even if i want to... so its official now.. i HAVE to wait and its turning out to be a LONGGG wait ...

anyone else had a similar experience ever?

i had to bump this one since i cant even contact layeredtech...
    ----
    The original message was received at Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:22:20 -0600 (CST)
    from mail.layeredtech.com [216.39.90.80]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    "|/usr/local/sbin/cerberus /usr/local/etc/config.xml FATAL /var/log/cerberus.log"
    (reason: Internal error)
    (expanded from: <sales@support.layeredtech.com>)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    554 5.3.0 Internal error

Final-Recipient: RFC822; sales@support.layeredtech.com
    X-Actual-Recipient: X-Unix; |/usr/local/sbin/cerberus /usr/local/etc/config.xml FATAL /var/log/cerberus.log
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Unix; 70
    Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:22:21 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    To: "Sales Related Requests" <info@layeredtech.com>
    Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:52:13 +0530
    Subject: Re: [LTSALES #DHT-82810-168]: plz read
    i hope the server is not suspended yet.

IP: 72.232.20.82

How long do you plan to wait for xxx xxxx to respond, before handing over the server directly to me.
    Site downtime has been over 2 weeks now.

regards
    --------------------------

how can i get someone from LT to reply here ::??

Lol, get the heck out of there, set something up somewhere else. A weeks downtime!? Was this city Atlantis? You're getting a line of bull.... my 2Cents
    The Web Hosting Network
    Innovative Hosting Solutions Personal Support & Sales
    Superior Web Site Hosting Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by twhnman
    Lol, get the heck out of there, set something up somewhere else. A weeks downtime!? Was this city Atlantis? You're getting a line of bull.... my 2Cents
    He would get the heck out if he could but the problem is that he is unable to gain access to his server.

So either get out without any data, except the few db's he has backed up or wait till his reseller decides to come back online.

Quote Originally Posted by rois
    He would get the heck out if he could but the problem is that he is unable to gain access to his server.

So either get out without any data, except the few db's he has backed up or wait till his reseller decides to come back online.
    EXACTLY!

i dont have the latest DBs backed up else i would have shifted AGES AGO!

i wonder why the mails to LT are failing... also why arent they getting back to me with ANY satisfactory answer?

I feel sorry for you...
    Moral of the story, always have a full backup of your data and maybe have a friend or another account somewhere else where you can simply switch the nameserver and get back online fast.

Good luck

Hope your reseller company come back - otherwise best to move elsewhere

your emails are not going to the write email address it looks like. re-open a ticket at http://support.layeredtech.com and go from there. or write support@layeredtech.com. the helpdesk wil get you much better results though!

unfortunately this is the problem with resellers. I am one myself for layeredtechs servers and it can be hard to reassure clients that we will indeed be around.

As far as your position is concerned I would gather that you are getting a bs line, internet lines dont go down for weeks on end without falling into a black hole. After all if he was really concerned with his business he would be driving to the nearest town and getting into an internet cafe/starbucks and at least check in in once a day

I just got back from a 2 week trip to Australia but I checked in twice a day to make sure my support team was handling things properly and to see if there was anything I needed to do. 6000 miles from home with no native internet cannot stop people so I would see why he couldnt go to a neighboring town and get you going

hmm my server is backup... i wonder whom do i owe it to!
    LT gave no response to the ticket i opened.. and my reseller is yet to answer any of my mails.

I have taken a backup (ofcourse!) and asked LT how long they plan to wait for my reseller. I doubt i will find such great services as LT somewhere else, so trying to be their direct customer still