site for 150 k visits a day for a community

we will have around 150 000 people visit, once a day, our site, a community site

we will have some pictures, comments, some "facebook-like-chat", some google adds...

what kind of hosting service should I hire? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

who should I hire???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I am afraid, because 150 000 is alot more users than I ever managed

They are thinking about going even beyond that

I need to start with 1,500 visits then in period of around 3 weeks we expect to get 150 000 and after 6 months we could reach one million visits

(it is going to get huge advertising on all national tv)

so I know maybe we wont get to those huge amounts

but I want to be ready and I need something scalable!!!!!!

so in case we never pass from 500 visits I dont want to pay for a huge plan that will never be used

the thing is my partner will pay the TV advertising and I will pay for the hosting and the like

so I want to use the google adds (and the like) to ultimately pay for the hosting and also give me revenue

so the key here is a very scalable plan

I dont even know if VPS is what I need

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by profesor_computo227; 08-09-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Since you don't seem to have the knowledge or expertise yourself, look for a fully managed solution. There are thousands of threads on here reviewing and discussing such providers. Use the search.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

thanks alot indeed, what key terms should I use?

we will have around 150 000 people visit
    How do you know this? Is it a existing site?

I see things like this all the time and people drastically over estimate sites traffic that are not existing.

To be honest I would just get a shared hosting plan to start out or a VPS.

The long line of "??" miss spellings and etc of your post is kinda hard to take serious for the nature in which you are talking about this site. I have personally seen 6 figure sites go into production, not including a sizable marketing budget and it being a flop in about 6 months. Where are you getting these estimations?

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Ro View Post
    How do you know this? Is it a existing site?

I see things like this all the time and people drastically over estimate sites traffic that are not existing.

To be honest I would just get a shared hosting plan to start out or a VPS.

The long line of "??" miss spellings and etc of your post is kinda hard to take serious for the nature in which you are talking about this site. I have personally seen 6 figure sites go into production, not including a sizable marketing budget and it being a flop in about 6 months. Where are you getting these estimations?
    sorry I guess my english is not that good

what you mean is those sites had 6 figure amount of visitors and then after 6 months the visitors stopped getting there?

or what you means is the creators of those sites thought they would get 6 figure visitors but in the end they never got that many visitors?

in any case I already have a resseller hosting with 20 gigas for 45 dollars/month no overselling allowed

do you think I will do fine with wide nation tv advertising?

what are the chances of getting overwhelmed?

I really think the site does have a really unexplored niche

but I am aware that maybe we will never get that much users, which in part would be fine by me, but what if suddenly the advertising and the unexplored niche work magic and suddenly we hit 150 000 users or something like that?

actually our unexplored market is of about 7 million people in my country

What kind of budget are you working with? Starting out you would do fine on a well run VPS or if you have the funds I would go with a dedicated server. E3-1230v2, 8GB ram, 2 x 120gb SSD's in Raid-1 would suit you very well and run you about $150/month.