]Colocation/Connectivity and Price [need suggestion and imput]

Hi all,
    i'm looking for a colocation in Europe, so i'm asking to a lot of datacenter. i'm not familar with colocation, switch and network, so i'm asking to something here. Well i have talked with a datacenter that is at 1,5 hours of airplane to my home. The datacenter have this connection:
    LEVEL3
    ABOVENET
    CLARANET-AS
    DSNETHOSTING
    They can offer to me from 2Mbit to a 155mbps. Bandwith is unmetered so they have offered to me a rackspace of 40 unit for 540€/m + 800€ for a 2mbits unmetered, and i can do the partiotion with a switch. Personally now i have 10 dedicated server in rent, but now i want go to the next step, can someone tell me for 10 server how many bandwith i should have?
    Thanks in advance.

how much b/w are you using now ?

Originally posted by Jake Weg
    how much b/w are you using now ?
    All server have about 700-1000 gb of traffic.

How much are you *actually* using though per machine?

also you are talking about bandwidth in the topic not transfer even though you may only average 1000 gb a month you may need more then 10mbit during peak times although I doubt it but its entirely possible especially with adult type servers.

If each server is *using* 1000Gb of data-transfer, then for 10 servers you will need 30Mb/s which is a fair size of transit.

Do you have a switch at the moment connecting your 10 servers ?
    if so, can you get some info by snmp of how much traffic *really* goes through the switch ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Thanks guy for all the puntualization. I'm not using all this bandwith for all this server, my max average is 300GB but the providers offers me 700/1000gb of traffics. The fact is that i will be happy to transfer all the data in europe and run my hardaware. This DC is at one hour from my home and we have started to talk for the next future. They can offer me from 1mbps to 155mbps. Probally the guys will not believe in me, but within 2 years, no one man have hosted adult content on my server. Anyway i would be happy to have some suggestion from the guys of this board, becuase in europe the bandwith costs mor then the USA. Probally the best solution would be a 10mbps, that can handle the peak, and also can be used for plug some other server and rent it, but which is a good price for a 10mbps?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
    Bye.

They can offer me from 1mbps to 155mbps.
    single provider or multi-homed transit ?

Which country ?

because in europe the bandwith costs mor then the USA.
    quality for quality the $ to € pricing difference is not much, it's simply that in europe we dont tend to have many cr@p providers like cogent

Probally the best solution would be a 10mbps, that can handle the peak, and also can be used for plug some other server and rent it, but which is a good price for a 10mbps?
    Depends on country, datacentre and provider but around € 1300 seems ok at the moment

Very sensible, and yes 10Mb/s should cope with what you want - you can either get capped 10mb/s and know that you're paying a set price or burstable to say full 100Mb/s port speed by be prepared for excess fees.

If you're looking to grow then a quality switch is a must, and i woudl recommend gigE connection to your transit provider if possible, saves pulling the floor up and or changing too much @ their end when you start needing alot more thean 10Mb/s

Suggestions - pick a transit company with multiple upstreams, their own AS number and who are members of a IX (Internet Exchange) so they have good peering - all helps maintain the connectivity in thevent of some problems.

Pick a decent switch ( something like the cisco 3550-24-EMI) and if possible keep a preconfigured spare powered up and ready to go in the rack - why travel 1hour to move 24 cables when teh DC can do it for you

Dont overcrowd the rack - remember air circulation and cooling - you will also find that "toys" like APC9212 Masterswitch for remote reboot will be helpful as you're a little distance away.

Get some pictures taken of your kit when it's in - everyone likes the "visuals" on the webites of the actual hardware.

a fold up chair in the rack for those *long* nights when you're stuck there freezing to death is useful, as is some spare RAM, HDD, cat5 cables, screws/nuts/bolts/cable ties and a toolkit

HTH
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Well on the most busy server,i have never used more than 1,4mbps approximatevely the peaks are of 900K. Anyway i'm sure that they will ask me a fortune for a 10mbps. I will be happy to start with a 4mbps i think that is decent, and after take a 10mbps, but i want be sure that a 10mbps does not will cost a fortune, or better i want know which is an honest price.

edited: fotun/ fortune

My hoorible english
    Last edited by Venomous; 11-06-2003 at 06:15 PM.

Where you get bw in Europe is cheaper than in the US? I always though transit is much more in Europle.

Originally posted by Mfjp
    Where you get bw in Europe is cheaper than in the US? I always though transit is much more in Europle.
    *Quality* transit in Europe is *similar* pricing to the US, when you compare like-for-like.

So Level3 100Mb/s+ in the UK isn't going to cost you much more than Level3 100Mb/s+ in the US

The difference really is that we don't appear to have much in the way of "low-quality" providers, partly due to peoples requirements of SLA's, redundancy etc and partly due to the regulation of the telecoms industry/Oftel etc

Originally posted by othellotech
    *Quality* transit in Europe is *similar* pricing to the US, when you compare like-for-like.

So Level3 100Mb/s+ in the UK isn't going to cost you much more than Level3 100Mb/s+ in the US

I'm not sure about Level3, but last i check with Above.net, they're at 110US/meg for 100mbit commit at London. I always thought transit is more expensive.

Originally posted by Mfjp
    I'm not sure about Level3, but last i check with Above.net, they're at 110US/meg for 100mbit commit at London. I always thought transit is more expensive.
    Yeah, 100MBIT from MFN is around ~$100 in UK, thats double of what you pay in USA.

Same with other providers, such as GC and Level3.

If you want cheap bandwidth in the UK (rare, but can be found) then its mainly alot of peering bandwidth and not much transit in it.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

Another fact not mentioned was the dot.com boom in the US that fueled huge investment into infrastructure. Just about everybody and their brother was shoving fiber into the ground as fast as they could.

There is a severe glut of fiber and capacity in the US. This fact along with lack of regulation (as mentioned above) offer an industry with no real "barriers to entry". A company with a few million in cash can easily lease dark fiber or waves and build a network almost over night. A prime example would be Cogent. The only obstacle is decent peering.

Strange because according to pricing i've got to hand CDR of 100Mbit - 8000$ in the US, 100Mbit 5000£ (8000$) in the UK :p
    *Huge* difference in price

Originally posted by othellotech
    Strange because according to pricing i've got to hand CDR of 100Mbit - 8000$ in the US, 100Mbit 5000£ (8000$) in the UK :p
    *Huge* difference in price
    Yeah but thats on a 2year contract right?
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

not as far as i was informed , no