Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Question about domain registrant

I have a question. The registrant for my domain name is the domain name, but my name is the admin contact. I guess my question is that should my domain name be the registrant? Thanks for the help!!

Ideally, your name should be both the Registrant and the Admin contact.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Does it really matter, or should I change it? Thanks!

You should change it for sure. It is very important to have domains in your name. Otherwise, you risk losing them.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Okay! I just went to my domain provider website and went under "manage my domain", and put my name in for the registrant/organization, and clicked "update". So, I should be good now, right?

Yes. I checked your whois record and it is in your name, so that is good.
    eVerity.com

I just checked my whois, and it's not in my name yet. What site did you use? And how did you know my site?

I saw your other thread, where you posted your domain name. I used my own site to check your domain's whois record. I can't post the link because its against the rules, but suffice it to say that your domain name record has been updated with your name.
    eVerity.com

Awesome!! Thank you so much for the help!!! Oh! One other thing. Under all the contact info on "manage my domain", it says to put your last name first and your first name last, with a comma separating them. My name isn't like that under any of them. I didn't ever type them either, that's how it was from day one. Should I change that too?

I think its ok the way it is. The whois record I'm looking at has the format "FirstName LastName" for the Registrant, and "LastName, FirstName" for the Admin and Technical contacts. Either way it looks correct.

The most important thing is to make sure your email address is up-to-date. If you ever want to transfer your domain name, they will send confirmation to the admin contact email address, so you will need to be able to check that.
    eVerity.com

Okay! Thanks! I just want to make sure everything is perfect, because I am transferring tomorrow. So, I'm good to go?

Yeah, everything looks good. I would suggest doing everything in the following order:

1. Transfer your site to your new host.
    2. Update the nameservers for your domain.
    3. Transfer the domain to your new registrar.

The reason you want to update nameservers before starting the domain transfer is that transfers can sometimes take a few days, and you may not be able to change the nameservers during that time, which could cause your site to be down if you cancel the old hosting.

Good luck with everything.
    eVerity.com

Thanks so much!!! How do I update the nameservers? I have all ready started the domain transfer, but I'm not going to get a new host for about a week. I just figured I might as well transfer the domain, then the website.

If you have already started the transfer you will be able to update nameservers at your new registrar once the transfer has completed. I am not sure who your new registrar is, but they should have an interface when you log in that lets you do this.

Your new host will give you the nameservers to use.
    eVerity.com

Okay! I have another question. I've started the transfer, but I have gotten stuck on one step. It says that my domain is on lock or hold, so I can't complete the transfer. Why is my domain on lock? My old registrar has already given me the authorization code. Wouldn't they have taken it off lock when I asked for the code, or does it take a few days for it not to become locked? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by KindaConfused View Post
    Okay! I have another question. I've started the transfer, but I have gotten stuck on one step. It says that my domain is on lock or hold, so I can't complete the transfer. Why is my domain on lock? My old registrar has already given me the authorization code. Wouldn't they have taken it off lock when I asked for the code, or does it take a few days for it not to become locked? Thanks!!
    Some unlock on EPP request, some don't

Thanks! How do you unlock it? I would call my old registrar, but they are closed on the weekends. How long can a domain transfer take?

Most providers let you unlock it yourself. Check around to see if there is an option somewhere for doing this.

Once you have successfully authorized the transfer it typically takes 2 to 5 business days to complete.
    eVerity.com

I've checked and I can't seem to find where I can unlock it at. I guess I will just call them on Monday. One thing I did notice though is that when I'm logged in where I can manage my domain, when I click on "DNS Manager", it says "We're sorry, you cannot access this". But I can click on "Manage Name Servers".

DNS Manager is if you want to set up your own dns servers. This will not affect your ability to transfer the domain name or modify its nameservers. Yeah, I guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow to get them to unlock it, unfortunately.
    eVerity.com

Thanks! I called my current registrar today, and they didn't know why my domain is locked or why under my whois, it says "client transfer prohibited". They said to give it 24 more hours and if it's still like that tomorrow, call them back. Does it take a while for it to not be locked? Because they sent me the authorization codes on Friday.

As far as I know it should be instant. Oh well, I guess there isn't any choice but to wait at this point.
    eVerity.com

Normally your domain will be Lock by default. This is to discourage unauthorized transfers.

Only way is to request your current domain provider to unlock or unlock yourself at your domain manager.

Sometimes your domain name is unlock, but WhoIS information stated is still "client transfer prohibited" (means lock). This might be the delay in some WhoIS databases. Try search your domain at different WhoIS sites.

The domain registrant contact and admin contact is very important. Those can be used to verify you as the real owner. Therefore the domain registrant and admin contact must be under your own details, most important of all is the email address.

No they do not automatically take it off lock. You have to do that. It's a fail safe just in case someone else got a hold of your info, If the transfer is already in progress or you have made recent changes it too puts a smal hold until the updates are confirmed.
    Hosting - At it's Simple Best!
    Get your Business, Blog or Personal Site Online in an Affordable way.
    https://www.fdwhostingco,com

It was not very smart to change the contact information if you are trying to transfer the domain. Normally, it is not permitted by ICANN regulations but GoDaddy has some special provisions in your RA (Registration Agreement) that after you update the contact information the domain cannot be transferred from GoDaddy for 60 days.
    There is a 60 day transfer restriction period for new or renewed registrations, recently transferred domains, changes to the registrant's contact organization, or changes to the registrant contact's first or last name when an organization has not been listed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast