Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rackspace vs. Google Email Hosting

I'm looking for a reliable email hosting service that can do the following:

• Webmail Access
    • Mobile Webmail Access (I don't like downloading mails to my phone using IMAP or POP)
      • I don't mind if it is a full version of the Webmail. As long as it renders properly on my phone, I'm happy with it.
    • Ability to download all the emails (sent/received) to my computer as backup
    • 99.9% Uptime MINIMUM

Having features like calenders will be nice. As far as I know, Rackspace and Gmail seems to offer them. What's your experience with them?

I'm using Gmail's free service currently though.

It might be worth noting that British Telecom offers POP3 and unlimited email storage. I would say that they all offer downlading of emails to your computer.

Google Apps Standard its free for up to 50 users and up to 500 emails a day.

I've had a much better time using Google Apps than Rackspace's Exchange hosting, especially for large inboxs (tens of thousands of messages or more) where Exchange can be sluggish and cumbersome but Google's infrastructure handles it with ease. It's tough to beat Google's intuitive search and filtering functionality as well. Overall Google delivers a superior product.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Google delivers a superior product.
    I totally agree with you. I also use google's email service for about1 year now and haven't regret using it. i have used exchange before but i usen't satisfiable with it.

Are you syncing up to outlook or just using webmail?

Going to be needing mobile access?

I use RackSpace email for about 10 clients. Non exchange version. I like it alot. Clients can use it and it is rock solid.
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

I believe that Google stores all email data in more than one geographic location, but don't believe that Rackspace does. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I like Google Apps.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcycleexhaust View Post
    Are you syncing up to outlook or just using webmail?
    I only use Webmail but I download the emails to Thunderbird as backup using IMAP.

Quote Originally Posted by ninkynonk View Post
    Going to be needing mobile access?
    Yep. Currently, I'm having no issues with Gmail's HTML version on my mobile (not Mobile version).

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    I use RackSpace email for about 10 clients. Non exchange version. I like it alot. Clients can use it and it is rock solid.
    Thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    I believe that Google stores all email data in more than one geographic location, but don't believe that Rackspace does. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I like Google Apps.
    I'm interested to know it as well. I'll do a quick Google search later on their redundancy.

it sounds like google is winning this one. but that was a given

Quote Originally Posted by coderiser View Post
    it sounds like google is winning this one. but that was a given
    Rackspace also lost data on their "cloud" servers recently. Another reason to go with Google.

Do you have a link to that?
    CapeWP.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    Do you have a link to that?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...e+cloud+outage

I've heard of that outage.... that was the time I was serious about signing up with RS-C
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Thanks. Checking it now.
    CapeWP.com

I like Google Apps.
    I don't know if it's stored in more than one location, but I do know the emails are served from more than one location. Much lower inbox access times around the world.

OK found it!

For Google Apps customers, our RPO design target is zero, and our RTO design target is instant failover. We do this through live or synchronous replication: every action you take in Gmail is simultaneously replicated in two data centers at once, so that if one data center fails, we nearly instantly transfer your data over to the other one that's also been reflecting your actions.
    http://googleappsdeveloper.blogspot....-recovery.html

Awesome.... does rackspace have this??
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Rackspace also lost data on their "cloud" servers recently. Another reason to go with Google.
    wow thats amazing I wouldn't think it would be that bad I mean rackspace is huge how could they engineer their cloud so poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by coderiser View Post
    wow thats amazing I wouldn't think it would be that bad I mean rackspace is huge how could they engineer their cloud so poorly.
    A little known fact is that Rackspace's "cloud" isn't exactly redundant in the sense that you're basically just getting a VPS with local storage. When Rackspace acquired Slicehost, they basically turned the same concept into a cloud offering. So if the hardware node your "cloud server" is on fails, you go offline.

Have you thought about other Exchange-based services? They would give you the calendar functionality and web access that you are looking for.
    Brendan McNiff
    Nebula Technology Solutions, Inc.
    Email: corp@ntsnoc.com
    Phone: +1(682)651-5901

Quote Originally Posted by cobrastrike View Post
    Have you thought about other Exchange-based services? They would give you the calendar functionality and web access that you are looking for.
    Rackspace email has both web only access and exchange services Separate plans, but same backbone.

I don't trust google not to read my mail, so I use rackspace email (IMAP), but I've had a lot of headaches with it. I'm open to suggestions on email providers.

Mind sharing what kind of imap problems you had with rackspace email? I was thinking of moving some stuff over there too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast