View Poll Results: Do you support the idea of WHT using vBSEO?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 53.73%
  • No

31 46.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vBSEO for WHT

vBSEO for WHT

I think WHT should implent vBSEO to make search engine friendly urls, the cost is $150 and I don't think WHT has any problem spending that kind of money

It will help increase search engine rankings of important articles and tutorials.

I think WHT rankings are not things needing much improving

I am not too impressed with vBSEO, our forums were just as well off or better before vBSEO wtihout being "friendly" it was in more search results than now.

WHT doesn't seem to have any problems getting new members
    Big things coming soon

wht should do everything possible for SEO purposes.
    wht is big but can be bigger.

It certainly wouldn't hurt implementing VBSEO allowing more people to find WHT.

There is already extensive SEO used in the archive (as well as a PDA version of WHT). As far as implementing vBSEO, I have found that those sorts of modifications can cause more problems than they solve. WHT already has a PR of 7 or 8 I believe, which seems to be as high as google will let it go. Also, have you tried googling hosting related terms? I often see WHT pop up as the 1st or 2nd hit when googling something related to web hosting. Personally, I think vBSEO would just be another burden for ProSlacker to try and maintain, especially with this new rumored version of WHT around the corner.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    ... new rumored version of WHT around the corner.

Alex
    Well, if the corner is measured in a few days.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Well, if the corner is measured in a few days.

just in case there's a glitch, I suggest everyone do a full backup of their post counts.

Quote Originally Posted by James L
    I think WHT rankings are not things needing much improving
    indeed.

/....
    ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt
    just in case there's a glitch, I suggest everyone do a full backup of their post counts.
    What!?!
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    What!?!
    muahahaha
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    muahahaha
    What? You're doing that? How could you?!

Just curious, but if vBSEO changes the way links are handled, wouldn't all of the cached links on search engines no longer work?

Anyway, my philosophy is why fix it if it ain't broke?

vBSEO is a waste.. I will never waste my cash on their crappy product again... It hasn't done much for many people I talk to, who've used it on their forums too. Also vB staff themselves, don't reccomend anyone to use it. vB is already built with a good SEO

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Armstrong
    Just curious, but if vBSEO changes the way links are handled, wouldn't all of the cached links on search engines no longer work?

Anyway, my philosophy is why fix it if it ain't broke?
    From my understanding it makes all of the stock vB links (showthread.php?t=596477) do a 301 redirect to the new link structure.

As someone who owns (2) licenses to vBSEO I can tell you from first hand experience that it works and works great. The problem with some former customers is they expected it to be a miracle worker and bring their forums to a new level without much extra effort being placed into the overall aspect of the community.

vBSEO is a tool and as with any and all tools...you must apply knowledge to make the tool as effiecent as possible. You wouldn't use a saw to drive in nails. Know how the tool works, help make the tool better by adding in extra varities of SEO knowledge and it works wonders when incorporated with other items of interest such as H1,H2 and H3 tags.

I have over 10 clients who use vbseo, NONE of them have complaints, ALL of them claim to have received a boost in traffic from search engines, ALL of them are VERY happy. From an admin standpoint, I have NEVER had an issue with it.

I recommend it 110%
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I have a few customers that use it too and have had great results

it rewrites the URLS to be more SE friendly. I dont like its idea, apparently it slows down your forum.

I got myself a free mod rewrite mod, and it does just the same job, except i didnt pay the $150

As for WHTs rankings, i found WHT from google. although when i search for things on google, sites like daniweb who have urls rewritten are usually higher than wht

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1090 View Post
    it rewrites the URLS to be more SE friendly. I dont like its idea, apparently it slows down your forum.

I got myself a free mod rewrite mod, and it does just the same job, except i didnt pay the $150

As for WHTs rankings, i found WHT from google. although when i search for things on google, sites like daniweb who have urls rewritten are usually higher than wht
    I like it , it worked for me ,

by the way they are having a 48 hours sale which gives you about 40$ off the price inet want to save money ? hehe
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFroot View Post
    vBSEO is a waste.. I will never waste my cash on their crappy product again... It hasn't done much for many people I talk to, who've used it on their forums too. Also vB staff themselves, don't reccomend anyone to use it. vB is already built with a good SEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Discussions View Post
    As someone who owns (2) licenses to vBSEO I can tell you from first hand experience that it works and works great. The problem with some former customers is they expected it to be a miracle worker and bring their forums to a new level without much extra effort being placed into the overall aspect of the community...help make the tool better by adding in extra varities of SEO knowledge and it works wonders when incorporated with other items of interest such as H1,H2 and H3 tags.
    Is this a great discussion or what!

My perspective: I was simultanteously active in vB forums and SEO a couple years ago. Very excited to hear about the search friendly URLs "coming soon..." Actually, that was the decisive factor for me to buy an "owned" vBulletin.

I'm glad I bought the vBulletin--it's the best. But lost interest in "SEO friendly URLs" because:
    • Lack of control. I believe a good forum should be fairly "free and open"--allow members to post links, and links in their signatures, etc. But if search engines see a lot of links to unsavory sites, direct quotations from other sites, etc., they might degrade you. (Not likely but maybe.)
    • Also, a lot of mish-mash might "dilute" the effect of static pages which you should additionally post for search engine attention. (Not likely but maybe.)
    • Search engine formulas are constantly adapting. Traditionally, they degrade 'dynamic URL' results--for good reason. If 'static URL' forums become overly successful, search engines may just routinely degrade them. (Not likely but maybe.)
    • As someone here has mentioned--vBulletin has an "archiving" software which achieves the same goal, without reduced performance. Essentially, makes an SEO-friendly list of forum postings.
    • vBulletin forums with dynamic URLs are already accepted by search engines--to an appropriate degree--and there are ways to enhance these results. Basically, check your Webalizer stats to see which postings are getting attention--then post static links to boost these results.
    • I.e.--if used properly, any forum with any type of URLs is an ideal SEO tool for generating a huge variety of combinations. Then, by observing search engine traffic, carving yourself out a "niche" by being successful with semi-obscure results in semi-obscure search engines.
    • Maybe it's just me--but my opinion, "Google does not work anymore!" Results are topheavy in "directories for directories" and sites with software that blatently is "feeding" results to Google. I expect this to change.
    • I.e., first Yahoo was "the" place to find things. Then Yahoo got uppity and charged everyone $600 to be listed--while at the same time, Google came along with its high-quality automatic searches. Now, Google has been resting on laurels for years, and everyone continues imitating Google. I personally am planning a Google-alternative with "human-edited search results." And I expect many other alternatives to come along.
    • Conclusion: forums are a great SEO tool, but don't need static URLs to utilize this potential.
    This of course is just my own foolish untested opinion. I am no expert. But for what it's worth, here are my 3 cents:

...If your vBulletin is small and highly focused on one theme, then SEO-friendly URLs probably won't hurt and might be a big help.

...If your vBulletin is big and rambling, think twice.

...If you have a big, successful forum that is producing substantial cash flow: then consider operating two separate vBulletins: one with static URLs and one without. I.e., by studying Webalizer results, determine which of your subforums are getting the most attention. Transfer those to a separate vBulletin (on a separate server) using the vBSEO, that shares the member database. Thus actually increase the efficiency of your main forum, by reducing its size--while also fully utilizing the potential of SEO-friendly URLs.
    Last edited by krystofo; 04-14-2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: grammar
    Krystof
    For my philosophy see: Do Stock Markets Make Sustainability Impossible?
    [Friendly reminder for all: WHT rules include max 2 active signature links. Also, do not mention own site or email (POC) in non-ad posts.]

Why not buy and try VBSEO for one of the smaller forum that iNET owns. Keep an eye on pros (SE Benefits) & cons (server load or anything else).. give it about 90 days. Your results will speak for themselves.

P.S. Static & SEO Friendly URL are better almost anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyMiller View Post
    P.S. Static & SEO Friendly URL are better almost anytime.
    Changing any URL structure no matter what the size of your forum is going to have an impact. Even if you correctly redirect, there will be an impact.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Quote Originally Posted by krystofo View Post
    Is this a great discussion or what!

My perspective: I was simultanteously active in vB forums and SEO a couple years ago. Very excited to hear about the search friendly URLs "coming soon..." Actually, that was the decisive factor for me to buy an "owned" vBulletin.

I'm glad I bought the vBulletin--it's the best. But lost interest in "SEO friendly URLs" because:
    • Lack of control. I believe a good forum should be fairly "free and open"--allow members to post links, and links in their signatures, etc. But if search engines see a lot of links to unsavory sites, direct quotations from other sites, etc., they might degrade you. (Not likely but maybe.)
    • Also, a lot of mish-mash might "dilute" the effect of static pages which you should additionally post for search engine attention. (Not likely but maybe.)
    • Search engine formulas are constantly adapting. Traditionally, they degrade 'dynamic URL' results--for good reason. If 'static URL' forums become overly successful, search engines may just routinely degrade them. (Not likely but maybe.)
    • As someone here has mentioned--vBulletin has an "archiving" software which achieves the same goal, without reduced performance. Essentially, makes an SEO-friendly list of forum postings.
    • vBulletin forums with dynamic URLs are already accepted by search engines--to an appropriate degree--and there are ways to enhance these results. Basically, check your Webalizer stats to see which postings are getting attention--then post static links to boost these results.
    • I.e.--if used properly, any forum with any type of URLs is an ideal SEO tool for generating a huge variety of combinations. Then, by observing search engine traffic, carving yourself out a "niche" by being successful with semi-obscure results in semi-obscure search engines.
    • Maybe it's just me--but my opinion, "Google does not work anymore!" Results are topheavy in "directories for directories" and sites with software that blatently is "feeding" results to Google. I expect this to change.
    • I.e., first Yahoo was "the" place to find things. Then Yahoo got uppity and charged everyone $600 to be listed--while at the same time, Google came along with its high-quality automatic searches. Now, Google has been resting on laurels for years, and everyone continues imitating Google. I personally am planning a Google-alternative with "human-edited search results." And I expect many other alternatives to come along.
    • Conclusion: forums are a great SEO tool, but don't need static URLs to utilize this potential.
    This of course is just my own foolish untested opinion. I am no expert. But for what it's worth, here are my 3 cents:

...If your vBulletin is small and highly focused on one theme, then SEO-friendly URLs probably won't hurt and might be a big help.

...If your vBulletin is big and rambling, think twice.

...If you have a big, successful forum that is producing substantial cash flow: then consider operating two separate vBulletins: one with static URLs and one without. I.e., by studying Webalizer results, determine which of your subforums are getting the most attention. Transfer those to a separate vBulletin (on a separate server) using the vBSEO, that shares the member database. Thus actually increase the efficiency of your main forum, by reducing its size--while also fully utilizing the potential of SEO-friendly URLs.
    This coming from a person with 8 posts... I wouldn't be surprised if you bought your vBSEO, by trying to trick others into buying it and then refering you, just so you could get yours for free.

vB staff at Jelsoft, thenselves DON'T RECCOMEND vBSEO. DOn't believe me? GO there and search on "vBseo" and you will find out youself.

I mean, HOW many people can use vBSEO, before it doesn't work? If EVERYONE starts to use it then what happens? ONLY a few sites will show up at the top, just because EVERYONE buys it, doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

Take my advice, leave vBSEO and get something free like Zoints. For software that costs more then the actual licence it's not worth it. I could spend the $149 for it and get myself another vB licence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast