Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Opera 9.0 Build 8414 Beta for Windows

Opera is known as the fastest and smallest full-featured browser, a first choice for people using older PCs and Windows 95 and a brilliant alternative to the default IE from Microsoft. Opera, first of all, is client World Wide Web, that is the program for extraction of the information from WWW as the documents created with help HyperText Markup Language (language of a marking of hypertext HTML). Low requirements to resources of system. Opera will work even on 386 computer about 6 Mb of operative memory. MDI the interface. You can open without special expenses of memory any quantity of windows inside one working window, having chosen thus a tabulared or cascade mode.

Key features of "Opera for Windows without Java":
    *** Efficient surfing:
    - Tabbed browsing. Surf the Web easier and faster by opening multiple Web pages within the same application window.
    - Integrated search. Search Google, eBay, Amazon and more with Opera's integrated search. You can also search directly in the address field using shortcuts (e.g. "g" for Google).
    - Pop-up blocking. Opera lets you control whether to block all pop-ups, or open only the ones that you have requested.
    - Fast Forward. Fast Forward will detect the most likely "next page" link and greatly simplify navigation in multi-page documents.
    - Password manager. Opera's password manager remembers your usernames and passwords so you will not have to.
    - Sessions. Save a collection of open pages as a session, for later retrieval, or start with the pages you had open when Opera was last closed.
    - Mouse gestures. Opera supports mouse gestures, allowing you to perform certain movements with the mouse in order to access commonly used features.
    - Quick preferences. Pressing F12 displays Opera's 'Quick preferences' menu to easily switch settings such as browser authentication, pop-up and cookie preferences.
    - Notes. Notes can be kept in conjunction with a Web site you want to refer to later, to remind you of any particular information you may like to review again.
    - Voice. The voice feature allows you to control Opera's interface by talking and to have documents read aloud. Voice is currently offered in English and runs on Windows 2000 and XP.
    *** Security and privacy:
    - Security bar. Opera displays security information inside the address bar, located next to the padlock icon that indicates the level of security present on a site.
    - Encryption. Opera supports Secure Socket Layer (SSL) versions 2 and 3, and TLS. Opera offers automatic 128-bit encryption, the highest available security of any Web browser.
    - Delete private data. Opera can be configured to clear the history and cache when exiting, to protect your privacy. Any kind of private data can easily be erased at any time.
    - Cookie control. Opera gives you detailed control of what cookies to accept and reject, such as allowing for different set-ups for different servers.
    *** Mail and Chat:
    - Opera mail. Opera's built-in POP/IMAP E-mail client is a combined e-mail program, news reader, mailing list organizer and RSS/Atom newsfeed reader.
    - IRC chat. Communicate with people all over the world using Opera's IRC chat client. Chat privately or in rooms, or share files with your friends and family.
    *** Customization:
    - Drag and drop. Using the 'appearance' dialog you can make Opera look almost any way you want. Move buttons and search fields, add and remove toolbars, and so forth.
    - Skins. Opera skins can give your browser the look you want. Make the browser your own by giving it the icons and buttons of your choice.
    - Language. Opera's user interface is translated into a multitude of languages, and the language can be changed on the fly.
    *** Accessibility:
    - Zoom. With Opera you can zoom the contents of any Web page from 20%-1000% using the zoom dropdown or the + and - keys.
    - Text size and colors. Text size and link styling can be changed using Opera. Text color and background color can also be customized.
    - User style sheets. Opera comes with a set of ready-made style sheets, including accessibility style, that can be used to override a Web site's style set completely.
    *** Web development:
    - Standards support. Opera prides itself in supporting all major Web standards currently in use, including CSS 2.1, XHTML 1.1, HTML 4.01, WML 2.0, ECMAScript, DOM 2 and SVG 1.1 tiny.
    - Small-screen mode. When displaying a page in small-screen mode (Shift+F11) you can see how it will look on a mobile phone or other small-screen device running Opera.
    - Validate code. You can validate the HTML code of any Web page by pressing Ctrl+Alt+v.
    - Toggle graphics and style sheets. Graphics and style sheets can be toggled on/off via Opera's menus and shortcuts.
    - Info panel. The Info panel shows details about the currently open page such as MIME type, page size, character encoding and more.
    - Reload from cache. Edit the source of any open Web page and view the result instantly by using 'Reload from cache' (Tools/Advanced).
    *** Special features:
    - Full-screen mode. The F11 key toggles Opera's projection mode, using the whole screen for browsing and, if a projection style sheet is present, displays 'slides' suitable for presentation.
    - Kiosk mode. Registered versions of Opera supports kiosk mode - a lock-down mode in which the browser can be used for unattended information stands in public environments.

New features in Opera 9 include:
    - Widgets - Small Web applications (multimedia, newsfeeds, games and more) that make your desktop experience more fun. Any Web developer can create their own Widgets and share them, regardless of operating system. Try the Widgets in Opera 9 by pressing F6. Look for further development of Opera Widgets in future releases.
    - BitTorrent - Instead of having to use a separate BitTorrent application for downloading large files, users can now simply click a torrent file and start the download
    - Content blocker - Choose the content you want to view. Remove ads or images - it is up to you. Right-click on the Web page and choose "Block content"
    - Improved rich text editing - Take advantage of rich text editing capabilities when using the latest Web mail or blogging services
    - Customize your search engines – Use your favorite search engine in the search box. Right-click on the site's search field and select "Create search" from the menu
    - Thumbnail preview – It's easy to have many tabs open at once in Opera. But exactly which tab had that video you wanted? Hover any tab to see a thumbnail preview
    - Site-specific preferences - Do you need to view a site in a different way or deny certain cookies? Want to block pop-ups on certain sites only? Site specific preferences hold the key

Changes in Opera 9.0 Build 8414 Beta:
    - Cache is not shared between widgets and pages opened from widgets.
    - Fixed Bittorrent downloads on Unix.
    - Fixed crash that could occur when exiting pages with Flash 8.
    - Fixed IPv6 on FreeBSD.

Download
    ╠══ Cool Wallpapers ══╡
    ║►►► Optimize your website

Can't wait for the stable build

I'm actually using it and absolutely love Opera. Once you learn the mouse gestures you'll never go back.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

So how is opera these days last time I used it was like version 1. So how is opera these days last time I used it was like version 1. Use to use it because I was on 14400 modem and needed to disable images.

Right click, move the mouse right to go forward.
    Right click, move left to go back.
    Right click, move up and down to refresh the page.
    Right click, move down to open a new tab.
    Right click, move down then right to close the tab.
    Right click on a link, move down to open it in a new tab.

Mouse gestures = heaven for the lazy man. What more could you want?

Not to mention the voice commands to do all of the above as well, and you can tell opera to read a page out loud to you. It's actually extremely good on pronouncing words as well. I've only stumped it once with "amelioration", however it does pronounce "ameliorate" correctly.
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Installed Opera 9 .... kept crashing and deleting my favourites and wand passwords.

I have now gone back to Opera 8.54

My firefox has been consuming memory left, right and centre recently. Without tabs open, opera is pretty nice - hovers around 18mb mem usage. But open say 20tabs, it does tend to jump to around 150mb which is fine I guess considering my PC spec.
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

Haha Im with you man ... mouse gestures

Opera the fastest browser? Try using Kayako on Opera. Opera renders each page so much slower. What takes 2-3 seconds with FireFox/IE can take 30-40 seconds with Opera.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Yah but thats just Kayako... try ubersmith

Opera 9 kick ***. Everyone should use it. By far the best browser out there, the most compliant, most feature packed and the most secure. What's not to use about it?

I agree. You can't get much better than Opera 9. Not only is it fast, uses fewer system sources compared to Firefox, and is very secure, but at the same time, it's the most customisable browser available -- It really is all things to all people.

I've been using Opera 9 for a week or so now. I'm fully converted from Firefox. Opera is faster and more intuitive. The binding of the "z" key to back and "x" key to forward makes my broswing so much more efficient.

[edit: it's stabler on my CentOS box than it is on my Windows box at home. It also doesnt play well with certain sites, but in general, it's fine.]

Until gmail supports opera in their chat feature i can't use it :-(

Opera 9 is awesome from a feature standpoint (as every release of Opera has been ever since 7.11), but they still have a couple kinks to work out before I'm ready to switch. Switching to Opera 9 means updating my mail format, which I'm not ready to do until it is absolutely invincible. I'll stick with 8.54 for the time being, and probably switch in a couple months (they tend to work out bugs pretty quickly over there).
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

when i upgraded my oprea to 9.0 it wont load no pages now even when i downgrade again

I have been using Firefox and I am completly satisfied, but I guess I can give Opera another chance.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Amdac
    I'm actually using it and absolutely love Opera. Once you learn the mouse gestures you'll never go back.
    I have that as a Firefox extension though

Quote Originally Posted by Amdac
    Right click, move the mouse right to go forward.
    Right click, move left to go back.
    Right click, move up and down to refresh the page.
    Right click, move down to open a new tab.
    Right click, move down then right to close the tab.
    Right click on a link, move down to open it in a new tab.

Mouse gestures = heaven for the lazy man. What more could you want?

Not to mention the voice commands to do all of the above as well, and you can tell opera to read a page out loud to you. It's actually extremely good on pronouncing words as well. I've only stumped it once with "amelioration", however it does pronounce "ameliorate" correctly.
    Wow. I didn't know about that. Thanks.

Opera looks great. Sucks that gmail chat doesn't work though.
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com

My only complaints about Opera are that they bundle the Mail/Chat clients which i will never use and that they have gone the widgets route (I hate them, all I want is a simple google toolbar).

Quote Originally Posted by RossH
    My only complaints about Opera are that they bundle the Mail/Chat clients which i will never use and that they have gone the widgets route (I hate them, all I want is a simple google toolbar).
    Widgets are completely optional, how could you hate something that you don't even need to have?

I didn't even know about the mouse gestures! That's pretty cool. I've had Opera 9 on for a while, I prefer it much more than Fx, which I don't even use but to do testing. I use IE as my default browser though, but there are some great features in Opera that I like.

One of my favorites is the Links panel, it will show you ALL the links on the current page, and it's even more handy if the page you're on actually titles their links.

There are other things I like too, but that ones real neat. I also like the "Small Screen" feature. Basically it's like browsing on a PDA or something.

I personally think Opera sucks even more then IE. It's themes are horrible, and it's speed do not amaze me. Also it crashes from time to time and has glitches in rendering pages especially with lots of floats made by CSS. I use it for checking websites I've created on only. For my daily use I'm a Firefox fan!

I don't think the Mail client is much of an issue. Unlike Mozilla, the mail and IRC clients don't slow down the application much, if at all. Unless you keep everything open, I doubt you'll notice it.

amygdela:
    - Show me where you can download/create our own IE themes without a third-party extension.
    - What part of Opera is slow? IE will be faster by default since it's integrated into the OS.
    - How often does the 9.0 release crash? It's a LOT more stable than the 8.x release.
    - Are there bugs in Opera's CSS rendering or your own code? Atleast with Opera, if you do find a bug, you can report it to them and know that it will get attention.

Opinions are fine, I just think that there are way too many misconceptions about Opera, especially since each new version fixes a lot of the common problems.

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela
    I personally think Opera sucks even more then IE.
    Because security, stability, and compatability aren't important right?

It's themes are horrible
    Themes do not define a browser.

Also it crashes from time to time
    I haven't experienced a single crash since the stable release.

and has glitches in rendering pages especially with lots of floats made by CSS
    That couldn't possibly be a problem with incompatable code right?

Browsers only interpret the code presented to it. You can't blame the browser for bad code. Opera is far more up to date with w3c standards than IE will ever be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast