Arrow Looking for multiple Minecraft VPS

Hi,

I am looking to buy some VPS servers to host Minecraft on. They need to be fairly priced as we're going to be installing MultiCraft onto them and then using them to sell various sizes of servers to our clients.

Also trying to decide if it is better to have a 2Gb RAM server split into multiple Minecraft servers or if I should give each Minecraft server it's own VPS (768mb RAM or whatever).

In the future I would like to get some Dedicated servers and run it that way but for now we will just be using a few VPS.

Please let me know of your suggestions for fairly priced, stable VPS that could run Minecraft with no problems.

Thanks!

Do you have a location preference?
    ★★★★★
    HostSlim - Premium Managed Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated & Premium Hosting - Premium Network - 1.6Tbps DDoS Protection Available - OWN DATACENTER NETHERLANDS
    Resell Whitelabel Dedicated Servers - Twitter: @HostSlim - www.HostSlim.eu - Facebook: @HostSlimBV

Quote Originally Posted by host-slim View Post
    Do you have a location preference?
    It would be nice to offer a choice to our clients: US and UK

So if i'm right, you are looking for a VPS node?
    ★★★★★
    HostSlim - Premium Managed Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated & Premium Hosting - Premium Network - 1.6Tbps DDoS Protection Available - OWN DATACENTER NETHERLANDS
    Resell Whitelabel Dedicated Servers - Twitter: @HostSlim - www.HostSlim.eu - Facebook: @HostSlimBV

Quote Originally Posted by host-slim View Post
    So if i'm right, you are looking for a VPS node?
    Please read what I posted. I'm trying to find a solution for Minecraft hosting using virtual servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1212 View Post
    Please read what I posted. I'm trying to find a solution for Minecraft hosting using virtual servers.
    It wasn't exactly clear in your OP if you wanted a VPS node or multiple VPSs.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

You should split up the Minecraft servers.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Minecraft servers don't use very much disk i/o from what I've seen however they do use plenty of CPU and Ram in some cases. Depending I would make sure the game has at least one core and 1GB of ram available to it. More if necessary. I ran 2 minecraft servers from an 8-core 4GB VPS already although I might of been able to do that with less ram and not as many cores.

Applications on virtual environments nearly always scale out better than up.

In my opinion you would be better off with more smaller virtual machines than one large virtual machine

Also trying to decide if it is better to have a 2Gb RAM server split into multiple Minecraft servers or if I should give each Minecraft server it's own VPS (768mb RAM or whatever).
    if you can get each VPS on a different dedicated server, i would chose for each minecraft it's own VPS. If not, i guess it won't really matter as long as you get enough resources.

Please let me know of your suggestions for fairly priced, stable VPS that could run Minecraft with no problems.
    i think that a 2 cores VPS with 1GB RAM (i'm speaking about XEN because this is the only one i have experience with) should do just fine.
    SpiderVPS.com
    It's official: WE'RE CRAZY!!!

Minecraft is CPU Intensive since, I had some rather recent issues with a client running minecraft.

Ideally though if you are looking for top performance a group of smaller VMs/VPS would be the best solution as that way your not all sharing the same CPU in the same enviroment.

You will notice significant performance Improvements if you do it this way.
    AboveClouds - UK Based Company
    Self Managed Scalable, On-demand Cloud Hosting with a personal touch ❤

Memory on a large VM isn't too much of an issue, but Be careful with VM's with too many vCPU's. The more you have in a single VM the harder the CPU scheduler will have to work in the hypervisor. This is why scaling out and not up is best in a virtual environment.

Having more vCPU's than is actually required can actually reduce performance due to CPU ready wait times

You can limit the issue by reserving cores but thus can also cause other problems

Multi-core VPS should work fine with your requirements.
    If you looking for stability should avoid container based vps.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Really the amount of ram is probably the most key part here. It really depends on if you are intending to run vanilla minecraft or bukkit (or maybe canary). If you do use either bukkit or canary instead of vanilla then it comes down to how many plugins you are planning to install.

For most users a 2 core setup with 1GB of ram will likely be plenty. Minecraft itself limits to a single core for the most part but the second core will be useful for the additional thread of tasks that tend to run on bukkit or canary.

I personally have a 4 core VPS with 4GB ram but the only reason is due to the fact that I use the VPS itself for more than just Minecraft. I use it for other misc tasks that are done better remotely than locally with an appropriate nice level. The host uses Xen PV so while I may be isolated in my own playground I still keep other customers in mind. So far no complaints.

Oh and please stay away from OpenVZ. It plays horribly against Java (this is from experience). It limits against allocated ram and not used ram. Xen limits against how much is actually being used. Java always allocates it's entire heap when it is started.

We have several clients who utilize our services to run Minecraft w/ Bukkit installed. Based on my observations, it uses very little CPU usage in comparison to memory:

USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
    root 4526 0.1 78.2 2034320 820808 pts/1 Sl+ Dec25 14:22 java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-1.0.1-R1.jar nogui

I would suggest splitting up the servers to avoid any problems and I'd also recommend focusing on RAM.
    Last edited by kazila; 12-31-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shinji257 View Post
    Minecraft servers don't use very much disk i/o from what I've seen however they do use plenty of CPU and Ram in some cases. Depending I would make sure the game has at least one core and 1GB of ram available to it. More if necessary. I ran 2 minecraft servers from an 8-core 4GB VPS already although I might of been able to do that with less ram and not as many cores.
    Minecraft can be very heavy on I/O, especially if a world becomes corrupt.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. sorry I did not get to replying to every individually. I appreciate the notes and comments!