Marketing your hosting

No company can make it without advertising. That is a fact.

Simple question. What is honest, pure, marketing for a hosting company?

Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

1. Buy Ultimate Affiliate software and set up an affiliate program on your site.

2. Go to my.inetinteractive.com, buy some banner space.

3. Head off to google.com, overture.com, searchfeed.com, 7search.com, and set up some pay per click listings.

4. Hit the 'other offers and requests' forum and buy text links on a handful of PR6+ websites.

5. Find a bald 20somethin guy with an outdoor job that goes to clubs at night, and pay him to tatto your host's name on his head for 3 years.

-=-

You have now experienced "marketing for a hosting company".
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

Originally posted by Dan Grossman
    5. Find a bald 20somethin guy with an outdoor job that goes to clubs at night, and pay him to tatto your host's name on his head for 3 years.
    What happens after those 3 years?
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

It would be up to the guy to pay for the tatoo to be removed...

If not, free advertising for life
    HostWithUs.co.uk
    Reliable Shared and Reseller Hosting

only on head ? I say, print your domain name on some cheap
    dotted condoms and give out to local schools. This way you can
    help the kids aware about AIDS and also when they will grow up
    and will need hosting they will turn to you

hahahhaaha
    Affordable cPanel Hosting Solution
    Read Client Reviews On Hosting Assured | Live Chat! MSN : support@dualnic.com
    Connectivity. Stability. Reliability. | Dualnic.com

Unhappy

thats not funny

I've advertised in some very low cost CCP listings in these obsucre search engine result deals; and I've actually got decent results and some good customers. It just shows you that you never know where you will pick up good customers from as long as you target the sensible end of the market regarding cost/resources. At the moment I am just selling via word-of-mouth and have closed sales to the general public, but when I reopen sales again I will probably continue to throw a bit of confetti at the low CCP alternatives out there: findwhat.com, mamma.com and the like.

Also, check out the promotional and SEO orented forums at www.sitepoint.com/forums for SEO information and promotional ideas.

Originally posted by dualnic
    only on head ? I say, print your domain name on some cheap
    dotted condoms and give out to local schools. This way you can
    help the kids aware about AIDS and also when they will grow up
    and will need hosting they will turn to you

hahahhaaha
    actually, thats a great idea. do you know if this can actually be done?

J

Just buy cheap condoms, print some small stickers with some $3 label paper from your local Staples and a printer, and put the stickers on the outside of the condom wrapper.

The tatoo on the head has already been done by CI Host. Innovation, not replication.
    Vintage Host Optimization -- Want security? We've got your security right here.

Replication, not innovation, is how 99% of the people that make money make it.

Are you serious about CI Host?
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Originally posted by Amdac
    Are you serious about CI Host?
    http://www.webadvantage.net/tip_arch...ip_id=349&&a=1
    Evolve Networks - Hosting, Design & Development for Business and Individuals
    EosC - Evolve Networks Loaded Edition of osCommerce

Any idea what the price went for?

Replication, not innovation, is how 99% of the people that make money make it.
    HAH, good one. I guess people like Bill Gates, Phil Spector, and all those other crazy people should be ashamed they didn't copy other's ideas. Innovation is how real businessmen make real money.

Read any good marketing books lately? Thought you were going to get some great ideas? Nope, they all say "innovate."

So essentially, if you are to become a successful businessman, and not a corporate, farm, or blue collar drone, yes, Innovation, NOT replication, is your answer..

Originally posted by VintageHost
    HAH, good one. I guess people like Bill Gates, Phil Spector, and all those other crazy people should be ashamed they didn't copy other's ideas. Innovation is how real businessmen make real money.

Read any good marketing books lately? Thought you were going to get some great ideas? Nope, they all say "innovate."

So essentially, if you are to become a successful businessman, and not a corporate, farm, or blue collar drone, yes, Innovation, NOT replication, is your answer..

Who's looking for answers? Look at your competitors that are doing well, do what they do, and you do well too. You can't dispute this unless you can magically clear out my bank account and turn me into a 'farm drone', because I'm successful without doing anything different, and so are plenty of other self-employed folks.

I am glad that you, personally, are successful. I commend the fact. This dispute, however, is between two different ways of thinking, and at the fear of it continuing for hours, I propose an agreement to disagree.

How did Bill Gates get his start? By ripping off an OS called CP/M and calling it MS-DOS. Please, please don't use BG as an example of an innovator. There were many times when a competing company DID innovate something, which Microsoft proceeded to duplicate or purchase.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Bill Gates bought DOS and ripped Apple's GUI for windows. Microsoft's success is due to marketing, not innovation.

I'd comment on Phil but I have no idea who he is.

See, we're all in agreement. Imitate or acquire successful products and methods, market aggressively, and make money.

See, we're all in agreement. Imitate or acquire successful products and methods, market aggressively, and make money.
    *copies Dan's traffic provider*

How about this for an idea. Take a successful idea/business and put a new spin on it.

Originally posted by HVoice-Eugene
    How about this for an idea. Take a successful idea/business and put a new spin on it.
    What exactly do you think that's called? Innovation.

2. Go to my.inetinteractive.com, buy some banner space.
    I wouldn't recommend WHT banners. We ran with about 15k banners top and bottom and saw less than a 1% CTR!
    Bottom banners were 0.08% and top were something like 0.66%

Considering the price is $25 CPM you think it would attract more clicks.... I guess not.

Save your money and advertise elsewhere, it didn't work well for us at all but it might for you.... experiment with different things and consider offline advertising.