How many game-servers can this server run?

Hello everybody,

I am about to buy this server box:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200(Quad core)
    8 GB DDR2 800 Memory
    250 GB SATA Hard Drive
    5 IP Addresses (will buy more, since I will be selling the game-servers)
    100 MBPS / 6,000 GB (3,000 IN and 3,000 OUT)

I want to know how many 32 slot (if possible, 500fps) Counter-Strike 1.6 servers can I run without lag?

I of course do not want to oversell, but do not want to buy another box when I have a lot of free space.

Tell me what you think.

Oh and by the way, my OS will be: centos 5.4
    Last edited by BLUEPEPSi; 06-15-2010 at 05:15 AM.

I'd say 9-10 would be a safe number
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Bret - dediShack View Post
    I'd say 9-10 would be a safe number
    And that is 500fps, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEPEPSi View Post
    And that is 500fps, correct?
    Sorry, I'd overlooked that. The best way to find out is to test and monitor, it's not always the same for everyone as different configurations etc can behave differently. So just start placing the servers on and keep an eye on server usage :-)
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Bret - dediShack View Post
    Sorry, I'd overlooked that. The best way to find out is to test and monitor, it's not always the same for everyone as different configurations etc can behave differently. So just start placing the servers on and keep an eye on server usage :-)
    Well, at least I have an approximated number.

I beleive you are looking at about 250/300 slots for a server like that server, but remember if you have server with lots of mods that will be reduced due to RAM usage,

Its down to how many slots the server can serve, not how many servers it can run, you can run 100 32 man servers at 500fps but the problem is when they start to get full.
    I suggest some testing when you get the server with as many people as possible to test it out.

You also do not need lots of IP's unless you want each customer to have a seperate IP, you can just specify a different port for each server, you could then sell a dedicated IP for their server at an additional cost.

Hope that helps

Regards

Rob
    BoltHosting.co.uk
    Quality UK Hosting at Affordable Prices
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee | Auto Installer | Site Moving Service
    Linux Shared Hosting | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Domain Registration

Quote Originally Posted by BH-Rob View Post
    I beleive you are looking at about 250/300 slots for a server like that server, but remember if you have server with lots of mods that will be reduced due to RAM usage,

Its down to how many slots the server can serve, not how many servers it can run, you can run 100 32 man servers at 500fps but the problem is when they start to get full.
    I suggest some testing when you get the server with as many people as possible to test it out.

You also do not need lots of IP's unless you want each customer to have a seperate IP, you can just specify a different port for each server, you could then sell a dedicated IP for their server at an additional cost.

Hope that helps

Regards

Rob
    Thanks for the IP advice, but I like my customers to have their own IPs for their own servers. And did you mean 10 32 man servers at 500fps?

I believe you can configure the cs-server to bind on a different port, so multiple servers can run on a single IP using different port numbers.
    Be reasonable and save ipv4 addresses, they are running low.
    VPSnoc.com offers high quality Xen® OpenVZ & Windows® Virtual Private Servers at affordable prices.
    99.95% Uptime | 24/7/365 Support | Unmetered bandwidth.
    Follow us: twitter.com/VPSnoc

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLinx View Post
    I believe you can configure the cs-server to bind on a different port, so multiple servers can run on a single IP using different port numbers.
    Yes your right, you can configure each server to use a different port, meaning you can host as many servers as you like per IP, I personally think giving each customer a different IP is a waste of money as the OP will be paying for each IP, so increasing costs and decreasing profits. (just my opinion)
    BoltHosting.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLinx View Post
    I don't know of one company that doesn't offer an unique IP for each game-server.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEPEPSi View Post
    Thanks for the IP advice, but I like my customers to have their own IPs for their own servers. And did you mean 10 32 man servers at 500fps?
    No.. what he means is 100 32 man servers. If they're empty, they're not going to consume the same resources as if they were full. So you could run 100 32 man servers empty, but when they fill you'll find how many total slots (players) can be on at once with your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by dhawton View Post
    No.. what he means is 100 32 man servers. If they're empty, they're not going to consume the same resources as if they were full. So you could run 100 32 man servers empty, but when they fill you'll find how many total slots (players) can be on at once with your setup.
    Oh okay, I see now. Thanks for replying on topic.

What do you mean you dont know one company that doesnt offer an ip address for each server. Thats a waste of ip blocks. Most companys just change the port number on each server i have to idea where you got the idea everyone gives out a unique ip to each customer.

Personally I wouldnt run more than about 250 slots. I would also use Debian and not CentOS. Will you be hosting a cpanel or anything from this box as well? I recommend not installing any apache/lighttpd/mysql stuff on it and ensure that the OS doesnt have it preloaded as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanhz View Post
    What do you mean you dont know one company that doesnt offer an ip address for each server. Thats a waste of ip blocks. Most companys just change the port number on each server i have to idea where you got the idea everyone gives out a unique ip to each customer.
    I agree, not many GSP companies provide an IP per customer, I just searched through a few companies I know and not one of them provides an IP each. I am sure some of the smaller companies do but it will reduce your profits, the only reason I see to provide a personal IP per customer is if they are reselling the service.

Rob
    BoltHosting.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by izanuff View Post
    Personally I wouldnt run more than about 250 slots. I would also use Debian and not CentOS. Will you be hosting a cpanel or anything from this box as well? I recommend not installing any apache/lighttpd/mysql stuff on it and ensure that the OS doesnt have it preloaded as well
    No, it's just that I found centos easier to use and more stable FPS.

I agree, not many GSP companies provide an IP per customer, I just searched through a few companies I know and not one of them provides an IP each. I am sure some of the smaller companies do but it will reduce your profits, the only reason I see to provide a personal IP per customer is if they are reselling the service.

Rob
    Go to google.com, type in "game servers," go to the first result. You are now at the site of the company that provides a different IP for each customer.

Rob
    This is the case with about 99% of game server companies because it is a waste to dedicate a IP for each server.. when you can just change the ports.

Where is it your buying that server from?

Quote Originally Posted by dhawton View Post
    Every game server that runs takes up atleast 250mb ram, so I think your theory is incorrect, the ram does not increase when more people join. The CPU usage and bandwidth requirement does, I believe. I would advise you to install webmin, this way you can thoroughly monitor how much 1 game server takes up of ram and CPU usage. However, when you're not using webmin I would advice to turn it off, just with the command "etc/webmin/stop" becuase webmin takes a little bit of ram up, and CPU.

The more users would increase ram aswell, an empty server wouldn't use the same as a full one. Webmin is a waste of resources on a game server.

Quote Originally Posted by minifly3 View Post
    The more users would increase ram aswell, an empty server wouldn't use the same as a full one. Webmin is a waste of resources on a game server.
    I don't think more users does increase the ram to be hoenst, the game server is the game server, I can't see more ram being used with more players on the server, only bandwidth. And clearly I said to stop webmin when not using it, I was saying to use it to experiment how much usage one game server takes up. Like I said, I know it takes up RAM and CPU. Just stop it. Once stopped it takes up barely any disk space, if you're that worried about disk space then just remove it, it takes a few minutes to install and remove.
    Last edited by chris102; 07-12-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think 10-11 would be a safe number.

I would say 7 is a good number, but then again it depends on how full each server is. If all of them are going to be full 24/7 then that could be a problem.